Tank Is Never Clean

So, I have had my 125 gallon set up for about five months now with six fancy goldfish, all about 3 inches long. I have two overflows and use a magnavore wet/dry filter. I have two chemical reactors in the filter and use carbon and this other stuff to remove silicate (phosphate I think?)

The problem is ... the tank is hardly ever clean. I change between 60-80 gallons a week and constantly have to scrub rocks and driftwood. I took all the silk plants out of the tank because it became too much. I spend about 5 hours per week just cleaning the tank.

It is this brown algae stuff that keeps growing on everything. I cleans off easily enough, but the stuff is persistent. It covers everything.

I do not overfeed.

So I am thinking about buying a supplemental filter ... considering the Fluval FX5. Here are my questions:

1.) Will this work?

2.) If not, is there a cheaper and better solution out there?

3.) If yes, I can simply install it by dedicating one overflow to the wet/dry filter and one overflow to the FX5?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brown algae usually appears in newly setup tanks and should disappear eventually. As for filtration how much total filtration in terms of gph (gallons per hour) do you have on your tank?

Well, I think sometimes people just get stuck with it. My tank is up and running since late August or early September last year, so for about 8 months, and I'm having massive problems with the brown algae. It probably is because I need to replace the light bulbs in the hood. Improper lighting also leads to brown algae, as far as I know, since green algae needs better light. Something like that.

The filter and pump I have are supposed to turn over 1,100 gallons per hour, but I have always wondered how I am supposed to measure that for accuracy.

The tech specs for your filter should tell you what the max gph is.

that is the max flow rate for this filter, according to the manual ... the pump is able to handle up to 1,500 gallons at zero head height ... and right now, there is only about 18 inches

Have you consider of having UV in your tank? UV sterilizer suppose to take care of these algae problem. I am not sure why but I noticed yesterday that I start to have brown algae too... hopefully once my UV sterilizer arrives, it will get rid of it.

UV filter does not work on brown diatoms (brown algae) it is not true algae, and grows on surfaces, does not free float. UV only kills free floating algae (green water), some bacteria, parasites (if powerful UV) You will still get brown algae, until tank is well established, a years or more sometimes. And you will get green eventually on surfaces. Cleaning it off is all you can do. :)

UV filter does not work on brown diatoms (brown algae) it is not true algae, and grows on surfaces, does not free float. UV only kills free floating algae (green water), some bacteria, parasites (if powerful UV) You will still get brown algae, until tank is well established, a years or more sometimes. And you will get green eventually on surfaces. Cleaning it off is all you can do. :)

:exactly