What Filter To Buy

Guest kingmed

Guest kingmed

My wife stated that I can buy a filter for my Birthday, I am thinking about the AC110-----hopefully in a little while I will eventually set up my 55 gallon for goldfish. Any suggestions on what filter? I can't go crazy I'm thinking about 80.00 is max or in that price range. I was also thinking about buying a Cascade 600 internal filter to add addition current for the goldfish and filtration, I know I'll have to eventually add another AC110 to the 55 if I decide on this filter for goldfish. Also the long bubble wands, is this a good addition to add to the tank to cause more water movement?

I like AC filters, but you will need more than one filter for the 55, as you had already stated. I have two bubble wands in each of my tank to enhance aeration.

If you have HOB filters you can leave the water level lower in the tank to cause more current from the outflow. The water falls into the tank creating bubbles and some fish like to play in the splash. Downside to it though it is really noisy. I have left my water level down 2-4 inches before. I went back to topping up the tank because I couldn't sleep. If I had my tank further away from my bedroom where I couldn't hear it I would do it.

Guest kingmed

I was wanting to know if the Cascade by penn plax "Cascade 1000" would be enought for a 55 gallon, I think it has a 265 gph ratio but since it's a canister filter I didn't know if this would change things. They are going for 99.00 at mmm at present time.

Most everyone here is going to recommend 10X an hour filtration for any fully stocked tank, even with canister. That being said, I run solely a Fluval FX5 which is a beast of a filter on my 125 gallon tank with 7 fish in it (4 of them huge ones). It provides only 5X an hour filtration and my water params have never been better. They were much worse when I was running 1000 GPH in HOBs on a 75 gallon tank. But, my new tank is pretty lightly stocked. I would say try out the canister and keep a close eye as far as testing your water goes. You can always add another HOB filter for pretty inexpensively to go with your canister if you have to.

Also, look into SunSun/Perfect canisters. They can be bought on eBay, and are a very popular brand in Asia. Lots of people on an Oscar forum I belong to recommend them and they are super cheap. Only like 70 bucks for a 520gph one with a UV sterilizer. The only downside is they have to be pumped to prime.

I have that exact canister, except it is called JBL or something like that. Its a very cheap canister, and I broke several pieces putting it together, but its working well so far. After the first pumping, its very easy to start every time after that.