Sign in to follow this  
number20121

My Newest Addition

So today they are one month old.

There are unfortunately only 3 left. I am not having my hopes up for any of them to survive. Even though, as said, I can't figure out what would kill them - except each other.

Interestingly the one with the deformed tail is one of the three... :hummm

Aw. I'm sorry, Fang. I hope at the very least one of them will survive! I'm cheering for them :)

Thanks! :) On this goldfish breeder forum they said they eat the smaller ones. Now there are only three left with more or less the same size. I REALLY hope at least one of them will make it. I just promised them that if they all will survive, I somehow will keep them all.

One more reason for a pond :rofl

A little update, good and bad news :D

I actually have FOUR fish left. I really can't say where they are hiding that I can't see them. But since I have to move the fry tub to my bedroom today (we're gonna have family visit this weekend, including three little kids, so I bring the tub to safety in my locked up bedroom) I took almost everything out of the tank just now. Not that there was a lot in it. Two filters, two hands full of river rocks, two small fake plants, a small glass "vase" with some gravel in it, a unplugged heater.

Maybe they blended in with the brown algae, I can't say.

Anyway, four fish left. But one of them seems to have some problems. As I posted today in D&D he was spiraling this morning, and then swam "normal" again (he's always slightly tilted to the side).

That's all I can update about right now.

Hope the four you have left continue to do well :) It would be fantastic if you could keep them :heart

I know, right? Maybe I'll somehow manage to. :)

Ok, I also named these four fish now, since I can tell them apart from each other. I sure don't know if their current colors say anything about what they will eventually look like, but as of now they do look different. No photos at this point, I'll try some after the weekend when the relatives are gone and took their kids with them :D

Anyway:

Finny - the little one with the deformed tail. S/he is an excellent swimmer even with practically no tail. S/he looks quite pink and I suspect this fish to be a calico. Also probably the biggest fish. Looks like he has black button eyes.

Tilty - the one I posted about in D&D a few days ago. This fish always is slightly tilted to his right side, and that one day had an episode f swimming in a spiraling motion. Only for half an hour, since then he is "normal" tilted again. So far this one looks like he is going to be yellow/orange metallic. And he has silver/golden eyes, unlike the rest of his family

Buttons - as of now looks like he is going to be calico, and has huge black button eyes

Trooper - black button eyes like Buttons, but looks metallic

Aw. Very cute names. I wish them strong survival instincts and the very best of health! Then we can all see pics and you'll just have to get a pond :P

I loved reading the whole story! I'm sorry there are only 4 left, but I wish them the best of health. I look forward to seeing them with their adult coloring. :)

I loved reading the whole story! I'm sorry there are only 4 left, but I wish them the best of health. I look forward to seeing them with their adult coloring. :)

Well, to be honest, this makes it a lot easier on me. I won't have to look for homes for two dozen goldfish! :D Since I want to get a patio pond or similar eventually anyway, I want to keep these four. They'll be fine temporarily in a smaller tank since they are still so little, and it is not like I'm not already used to 200% maintenance anyway :D

Amy, If I can drag myself away from the kids today AND get a chance to use this computer while they are awake (they are sleeping right now that's why I got the chance to be on Koko's) I will post some pics!

I wish you good luck with the rest of your fry and I love the names!

I wish you good luck with the rest of your fry and I love the names!

Thanks, dear :)

Time for another update!

They are today 45 days old :angelstaf:

A short video of them eating. See all the brown algae and cyanobacteria? They love eating the c.b., the big area I filmed through at the end of the video was completely covered in it until a few days ago; they ate it all off.

The one closest to the bottom of the screen is Finny. See how well she swims without tail fins? And how big she is compared to the rest? LOL

I love it! They are so cute!

I need to read through this thread...I missed a ton! Great job with them Grandmama! Hee hee!

Thanks Lola and Kathy! :)

Lola, not that much really interesting stuff to read. Basically Hugo laid eggs, I didn't think they were fertilized. Cleaned the tank, curiosity made me keep some eggs. A day later the eggs have eyes and spines inside and I find out that Orange Fishie is a BOY and the Daddy.

Started out with about 30 fry, culled two, the majority got eaten by the four remaining fish LOL now they are 45 days old. Finny never grew tail fins as you can see in the photo topic I made the other day.

gettingbigger02.jpg

Looks like 3 calicos and 1 metallic. They are very happy and live in a 50qt tub for now. :D

I don't know, that sounds rather exciting to me! So sorry you had to cull those. I bet that was tough business!

Do you intend to keep your new buddies?

Well, the two I culled were in REALLY bad shape. They seemed massively bloated, couldn't even swim around, only dart across the bottom with lots of effort. They were only a few days old when I culled them. Still little enough to just squish them between a couple pieces of paper. Sad, but... well, it ended their suffering.

Yes, I want to keep these four. Somehow. The pond or upgrade will simply have to come faster :D Or a lot of even more extra water changes :krazy::rofl

I totally understand!

I would want to keep them too! LOL Too cute to part with!

That's amazing, Fang! I'm glad they continue to thrive! :D

I know, right, Lola? After all the trouble, the first time breeding, I'm really attached to these four!

Alex, thanks a lot! I am so happy these four are doing so well. I'm really amazed especially with Finny. Don't tell the other fry, but I think I'm especially fond of her with her missing tail. She's kind of special to me :D

Aw. I'm cheering for that pond for them :D

They are precious! Finny is adorable. :heart