Red Bump?

the other day i noticed my pearl scale developed a red bump about the size of a pencel eraser so i barrowed my bf test kit and tested my waters to figure out whats up.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level 0

[*]Nitrite Level0

[*]Nitrate level 6-is this bad?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8.0

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? not sure the brand but its drops

[*]Water temperature 74-76

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 80 gallons been running about 5-6 months?

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)penguin bio wheel 400-theres two

[*]How often do you change the water and how much 70-85% every thursday so once per week

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much about 75% on thursday-6 days ago

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size 4 fish 2 catfish and 2 goldfish cat fish are about 3 inches gold fish are between 3-6 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners just start right water conditioner

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often omega one pellet food for goldfish sometimes omega one flakes,romain lettuce,peas,banana,green pepper,ect

[*]Any new fish added to the tank no

[*]Any medications added to the tank no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? yes a red spot on my pearl scale looks like its underneathe the skin

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? none

p.s ill get a picture for you sometime tomorrow the cam runs on rechargable batteries and they are dead so im recharge them now but it takes up to 24 hours

Edited by xchairity_casex

I don't have any clear idea, but I thought it would be useful to akswer you question: a nitrate level of 6 (ppm I assume?) would be very nice. In theory, nitrate levels in a goldfish tank should be allow to go above 40 ppm, and keeping them below 20-25 ppm would be recommended if possible. Our tap water already has nitrate levels of about 10 ppm, so for us it isn't even possible to get nitrate levels as low as yours (assuming it's in ppm of course). ;)

Ammonia en nitrate are zero, wish is perfect, a pH of 8 could be said to be slightly on the high side, but goldfish typically don't mind a slightly higher pH, and having a stable pH level is much more important than a 'perfect' pH level (i.e. between 7.2 and 7.8 for goldfish, depending on who you ask). Your filtration appear to be plenty and your water change schedule and the rest you mention also seems what it should be, as is your fish/volume if we were working with 4 goldfish. I must admit that I have no idea how much ammonia catfish produce.

Could you give some more information on where the bump is located on the fish's body?

to tell the truth im not suprised the nitrate test was off i was having trouble reading it i will re-test and see if my bf has better eyes for that then me.

the bump is back toward the tail on the left side of the body not underneath but right on his side. i will post pics later tonight cant now im at my bf house

fishbump.jpg

here is the picture its a little hard to see thered bump as it does blend inj a bit with the orange coloring as i said its under the skin and hasnt "broken" or nothing. im still having trouble reading the nitrate it keeps coming out the same :/

• Supporter

wow.. all params seem great! you seem to be keeping your tank in great condition.. do you have anything like ornaments your pearlscale may have bumped itself on?.. it's hard to see from your pic if it's a surface scrape or if it is actually coming from within the fish.. are you able to determine this? if it's a scrape, the sore will mostly have some small pinprick looking blood ontop of the redspot.. also, i cannot see the eyes properly.. do the eyes look normal to you? or does the fish have swollen sacks around the eyes? i ask this because if it's not a surface scrape, it could be a bacterial thing.. and often swollen eyes or fluid sacs can be seen around the eyes.

his eyes are normal and it is underneath the skin it looks like something that could pop though it hasnt. the only tank decorations i have are 2 large pieces of drift wood that i removed all rough edges from and like i said its under the skin so its not like a bite or a scratch from anyone or nething. i reading another persons post " pimples?boils?" and was wondering if this isnt like that except theres jsut the one and it hasnt poped. otherwise he is acting and looking completly normal no other red marks,sreaks,bloody fins nothing.

should i QT him and treat with salt? or should i just let it go and see what happens?

• Supporter

if you think that what your fish has, does have potential to burst, then yes, set up qt and when comfortable, transfer him.. the moment that bursts, you need to treat with salt..

salt is 1 level teaspoon per gallon to become 0.1% salted.. so if your qt is 10 gallons, you need to add 10 level teaspoons.. just make sure that the salt is pure and that there are no anti caking agents in it.. if it's a small qt ie, 10 gallons, i recommend API's aquarium salt..

the salt needs to be dissolved in warm tank water, so catch some water into a saucepan and dissolve it over a very low flame whilst stirring.. that's always worked well for me..

once this thing bursts, you will need to do 80% wc per day until he heals.. remembering that if you remove 80% of the water, you will need to replenish the salt you removed to keep your tank at 0.1% salted.

ive already got a 20 gallon QT tank set up and cycled it was houseing guppies for about a year but the guppies are gone and i decided to just keep the tank up and running as a QT tank for when i got a new goldie or somthing happened ect, his actually looks more like the older cyst on your fish being very red though i know he never had nething burst open prior to this becuase whenever i feed them i take about 10 minutes to have a close look at all of them(yes im paranoid) thanks for the help! ill let you know what happens

well poor eddy doesnt seem to like the 20 gallon-AT ALL he is used to the big tank being able to swim and swim and swim. it still has not popped though it has swollen bigger and seems to me that its fluid filled just waiting for it to burst keep doing water changes and adding the salt though. i have uped the tank temps about 3 degrees to maybe help it burst quicker.