Sign in to follow this  
kiiarah

Sinking Pellets And Protein Sources?

I keep thinking I am out of things to ask, then something new occurs to me. Tonight I realized that even though I have sinking pellets, they are still dry and therefore I assume they will expand when they get wet. For those of you that use sinking pellets, do you still soak them first to negate the problem of expanding in the fish once consumed? I was also at the store the other day and was about to buy a container of freeze-dried blood-worms for the boys, but the ingredients looked a ton like the ingredients listed on the can of freeze-dried gammarus that I already have. I think the only real difference was the blood-worms are slightly higher fiber, but they get their fiber from their greens. Is there any compelling reason that they need both or is it alright to offer just one or the other to cover protein needs? I sure don't mind getting both, but if they are basically the same thing I will just stick to the shrimp. Thanks as always everyone! I Don't know what I would do without you guys. :D

Soaking pellets is a must so they don't expand in the stomach causing floatiness. Also, most don't use freeze dried foods because they too cause floating problems. I use frozen bloodworms which my gang goes crazy over.

Soaking pellets is a must so they don't expand in the stomach causing floatiness. Also, most don't use freeze dried foods because they too cause floating problems. I use frozen bloodworms which my gang goes crazy over.

I do soak the shrimp for like ten minutes before feeding them, again because of the floatiness they can cause. Is soaking an adequate solution to that problem, if so I will use up the ones I have and then switch to frozen. :) Am I correct to assume from your response that the soaking pellets do not expand like the dry ones?

Is the question about sinking pellets? Yes, they all expand to an extent. Some more than others.

I wouldn't use the freeze dried at all. It caused severe constipation and bloating on several of my fish.

Is the question about sinking pellets? Yes, they all expand to an extent. Some more than others.

I wouldn't use the freeze dried at all. It caused severe constipation and bloating on several of my fish.

Oh wow, I will definitely check around next time I am out then. How about the frozen shrimp vs frozen bloodworms, any difference? I am feeding the sinking pellets, I was just wondering if they should still be soaked so that they don't expand in the fishes' tummies. Since they don't float I am not worried about air gulping, but it did occur to me that soaking might mean they are already expanded and could be a good idea.

I soak all my pellets (hikari and pro gold) before adding them to the tank :)

I soak all my pellets (hikari and pro gold) before adding them to the tank :)

Thanks Alistair. I will go ahead and just soak them then. :) I love your sig by the way. So true! :rofl