Sign in to follow this  
kiiarah

Lettuce Fed With Clip

Hi everyone! It would appear that the boys (I think they are boys) like lettuce after all. I offered them some for a couple minutes yesterday and they didn't seem to know what to do with it. Today I put some in just for something for them to check out and possibly nibble at. My aim was more mental activity than a snack, since I thought they didn't like it, but now that I look over they are really going to town on it! So since they are such little piggies and not taking it easy, I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction for clip treats. How much should they be allowed to eat from it before it is removed? I love the idea of them having something to nibble at all day long, but I think they are eating it too fast and I don't want to overfeed them. Also, how long can it be left in if they are just barely nibbling? In other words, how long before the food starts polluting the water? :)

Edited by kiiarah

I usually leave the clip stuff on there for a day. Until then it is normally gone anyway :D

Food doesn't last very long with my pigs.

I usually leave the clip stuff on there for a day. Until then it is normally gone anyway :D

Food doesn't last very long with my pigs.

So it is alright then for them to eat their fill? Not sure I can trust them to be reasonable. :rofl

I leave lemon in the clip for several hours and mine kind of grazes on it. She doesn't devour the whole thing immediately.

You can leave lettuce on the clip for 24-48 hours as long as it's completely submerged.

I think it depends on the fish. Mine go wild for a while at first but fill them selves up. Then they leave it alone for a good while and eventually go back to it or just nibble on it occasionally.

When leaving it in there for a day, it seems like after a while they figure out that no one is gonna take it away from them, and so they calm down and just have a snack whenever they feel like it. :)

I think it depends on the fish. Mine go wild for a while at first but fill them selves up. Then they leave it alone for a good while and eventually go back to it or just nibble on it occasionally.

When leaving it in there for a day, it seems like after a while they figure out that no one is gonna take it away from them, and so they calm down and just have a snack whenever they feel like it. :)

That makes sense. They aren't hanging out over there right now, but there is quite a bit gone. I hate to leave them hungry and waiting on me to feed them. It is nice for them to have something to snack on whenever they want. :)

You can leave lettuce on the clip for 24-48 hours as long as it's completely submerged.

Excellent point! I hadn't considered that it would need to be completely submerged. Right now I have a strap of fabric threaded through an office clip. The fabric is looped over the open lid to the hood, and the clip is holding the lettuce. It is halfway submerged with the clip hovering about an inch from the surface. Do most LFS sell submersible clips for treats? I can't recall ever seeing them at mine, but I may just not have been looking for one. :)

Do most LFS sell submersible clips for treats? I can't recall ever seeing them at mine, but I may just not have been looking for one. :)

Yep! Just ask for a food clip. Shouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars. It's like a chip clip with a suction cup. ;)

Do most LFS sell submersible clips for treats? I can't recall ever seeing them at mine, but I may just not have been looking for one. :)

Yep! Just ask for a food clip. Shouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars. It's like a chip clip with a suction cup. ;)

Awesome. :D I have some suction cups, but no way to clip anything. I will remove the lettuce in a couple hours since it is partially air exposed. They are having such a blast. I guess they just didn't know what it was yesterday. :rofl

Edited by kiiarah

I leave lemon in the clip for several hours and mine kind of grazes on it. She doesn't devour the whole thing immediately.

I thought citrus can make the water too acidic. Does it depend on your water parameters whether you can get away with giving them citrus fruit?

I asked for a clip at my LFS and they just gave it to me - took one out of the bags of clips that they use. The only problem is that the clip keeps floating to the top of the suction cup! My fish tend to eat on the lettuce better if its dangling down than if its floating up - so I might buy one anyways.

I never thought of giving them a lemon - I bet it has a much smaller affect on the ph in a bigger tank. I have a friend that gives his cichlids seaweed, but I don't know if goldfish would like it or if its good for them. He likes it because its already soft and you don't have to blanch it.