Cycling Qt With Seeded Media

Hi there,

set up a "new" 20 gallon tank for my two baby feeders as a qt on friday. I used one of the media bags from my established tank to put in the filter. Shouldn't I be getting a nitrite reading by now?

Tank : 20 G

water temp: 76

water changes: 2x a day 5 G to keep ammonia low.

Thanks for your input.

Do you mean a nitrate reading?

What were the readings from your established tank when you removed the media?

After seeding with media, I have regularly gotten nitrate readings around the second day. I know some people have had issues and slight cycle bumps, but luckilly I have not had that problem.

So you are getting ammonia readings?

Do you mean a nitrate reading?

What were the readings from your established tank when you removed the media?

After seeding with media, I have regularly gotten nitrate readings around the second day. I know some people have had issues and slight cycle bumps, but luckilly I have not had that problem.

So you are getting ammonia readings?

Yes I have ammonia readings. seems like it did not make any difference that I put media from my old filter in the new tank. Should I also add some of the gravel perhaps?

What are the readings taken from the established tank? If you did not test before removing the media, can you test now? You can add some gravel, but I want to make sure your cycle is good first.

It should work. We just need to figure out where the problem lies.

What are the readings taken from the established tank? If you did not test before removing the media, can you test now? You can add some gravel, but I want to make sure your cycle is good first.

It should work. We just need to figure out where the problem lies.

The established one is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 (about) nitrates, goes up before each water change (the nitrates).

I would try adding some gravel from the established tank to the filter.

How much media did you use the first time? Although, it doesn't take much...

What kind of ammonia readings are you getting?

I would try adding some gravel from the established tank to the filter.

How much media did you use the first time? Although, it doesn't take much...

What kind of ammonia readings are you getting?

Thanks for you help. Ammonia gets really high if i don't do at least a 5G water change. Yesterday it was between 0.25 and 0.5. ( you know, the second green shade). I'm at work right now so I can't look at the chart.

I know that some people have had cycle bumps or mini-cycles when they seed new tanks, but I have never had that happen. Normally, I throw the media in and test on the second day. It takes immediately.

Is there any way that the media could have been compromised?

I know that some people have had cycle bumps or mini-cycles when they seed new tanks, but I have never had that happen. Normally, I throw the media in and test on the second day. It takes immediately.

Is there any way that the media could have been compromised?

No Idea. I'll try putting some gravel in... Ammonia is up to 0.5 already. So I'll do a big waterchange first.

Thanks Grace.