Sign in to follow this  
jadenichole

Amts / Types / How Often

I have a new oranda and I think I must be doing something right since he seems to be growing already.. however my tank isn't cycled yet so I am very cautious on many things.. feeding being one of them.. I have been steered in great direction by many awesome helpful people so far on cycling my tank so far so I'm thankful for that :)

So far I picked up Omega One sinking pellets (small)

and then Omega One flakes for goldfish and also hikari frozen brine shrimp and salt free frozen peas

I am SO scared of overfeeding him.. so basically I have been doing like a few pellets and maybe a few flakes a day.. and then some days at night as a treat maybe a few brine shrimp and some days no pellets or flakes at all and maybe 5 or 6 peas and that's it.. and then some days just pellets..

What does everyone suggest?? I never do a day of just flakes or a day of just brine shrimp because I heard that too much protein is bad..

I don't want to like starve him.. I heard that's merely impossible.. but I don't want to like underfeed him.. what does everyone else do?? He can eat the amt of pellets I give him in like 2 seconds literally..

Jade

Edited by Jadafish

I usually do 3 feeding a day. Just enough pellets for them to eat in 3 minutes. Every other Friday I fast them and then give them peas on Saturday.

We do about the same as j-pond, but with the fasting and peas reversed (I think, Miki always does the feeding).

Jadafish, seems like you're talking excellent care of your new oranda :).

I do 3 feedings a day also, maybe a forth if its just a good for them snack like veggies. I need to do a fasting day as well I think but have not started it yet since I have only had these 2 fancies for a short amount of time and the oranda of mine wasn't eating as well in the beginning.

I feed mine 3-4 times a day, but they eat so fast, I can't do the "3 min rule" or they would explode :rofl

I feed mine 3-4 times a day, but they eat so fast, I can't do the "3 min rule" or they would explode :rofl

Same here. My guys would need to sign up for weight watchers :P. But I also always have some cucumber in the tank for them to nibble on and for the plecos.

I do 2 meals a day 6 soaked pro gold pellets (small) in the morning and either a healthy pinch of flakes, more pellets or a bit of scrambled egg plus a small portion of whatever veggie I'm eating at dinner time.

the portion of eggs or veggies is abt the size of the tip of my pinky finger.

once a week he fasts and then peas the next day.

it is so tempting to feed more cuz it's fun to watch him hunt down the food. But I think I'm doing ok and he's grown almost 2 inches since I got him in October.

Thanks everyone :) Mjbubbles love the egg idea how cool :rofl ... does he totally love them?? :) and are they just any old egg just no salt added of course and then cooked up??? I know what you all mean about weight watchers everyone hahaha.. my goodness! Wisco eats SO FAST.. then after I feed he tears through his rocks like I haven't fed him in months.. little piggy!!! :rofl:lol1

Edited by Jadafish

I fed twice a day...a couple of generous mouthfuls at each feeding. I vary up their food but their main diet is gel food, they get lots of fruit and veggies, some frozen food. I do egg on occasion as well when I cook one for my dog (just a few bits in the tank). They are fruit fiends, but I try not to overdo the sweets.

I am gonna have to try the scambled egg thing.

I have been doing 4 pellets in the am (small Omega ones) and 4 in the pm and maybe every 3 days a few flakes of omega one.. I noticed his butt going in the air on two occasions to I gave him peas and it went away.. and then on 2 different days his poops were weird.. one I posted on my main post in the main section and it was just OUT OF THIS WORLD long poop.. and just creeped me out! No one was too concerned but I was lol because it was just so big.. I didn't feed him like an extraordinary amt of food or anything? But not I'm just too scared to overfeed him.. But I think 8 pellets a day is very minimal .. so I think he should be fine.. once in awhile I give him brine shrimp.. but the second time his butt went in the air was the other day when I gave him brine shrimp so I thought maybe it was connected but maybe not?? I know for sure I didn't overfeed him that day so who knows what would have caused it.. it wasn't really bad where he was flopping over or anything.. I just freak out when something small happens lol..

If you put the cucumber slice in there.. wont they overeat??