14year Old Comet Dying

Batto

Hi guys, I have been a member for quite some time now but I had to re register under another name, as I have a new computer and have forgotten my old details.

Just need some support really, or chat to people who'll understand.

My precious comet "Goldie Savlo" who is 14 years old is dying, :( he's been going down hill all day and as I type this he is flopped on the bottom of the tank he won't make it through the night. He has had such a great life and I am so lucky to have him for sooooo long. I have put a giant red love heart on the face of his tank and kiss marks in red lip stick.

I heard or read somewhere once that when a gold fish dies it takes the negative impact of something that was meant for you (something along those lines anyway).

I love my fish, and I can't help getting extremely upset and philosophical when my pets die.

Do gold fish suffer?

I keep thinking of the Nirvana "it's ok eat fish cause they don't have any feelings"

Love you big time Goldie Salvo

Thanks for reading guys x

• Supporter

OMG hun.. 14 year old? what a wonderful life for a goldie.. you must be a great fish mummy! greetings from australia :)

the chemist sells clove oil.. do you have a late night chemist in your area.. yes, fish have feelings and he most likely will feel the pain of passing away.. if you can get to a drug store and get clove oil, that would be the best.

best of luck..

OMG hun.. 14 year old? what a wonderful life for a goldie.. you must be a great fish mummy! greetings from australia :)

the chemist sells clove oil.. do you have a late night chemist in your area.. yes, fish have feelings and he most likely will feel the pain of passing away.. if you can get to a drug store and get clove oil, that would be the best.

best of luck..

Thanks Stakos xx

Will do a search for late night chemists in my area. I heard you can put them in a bag and put them in the freezer? What do I do with the clove oil? Put a few drops in the tank?

The freezer thing is actually quite painful and stressful I think. Just imagine yourself freezing to death :(

Clove oil (I copied this from another topic)

"Clove oil. Since clove oil is an anaesthetic it should really be listed with other anaesthetics, but it differs in that it is available from pharmacies to the general public, and as such can be kept in your fish medicine cabinet. Clove oil contains eugenol (the sedative/anaesthetic chemical). Unfortunately, it is not soluble in water so prepare it as follows: mix 2-3ml clove oil with 8ml vodka (makes a milky suspension), pour into a clean bucket and add 1 gallon tank water and stir gently. Transfer your fish to this bucket and wait. This is a lethal concentration of eugenol, which will first induce anaesthesia and then death. If you need to use a stronger mixture use more clove oil but no more vodka as the alcohol will cause bleeding and irritation to your fish.

I have used clove oil euthanasia several times for my own fish and other peoples', and am happy that it causes minimal distress and works well. I wait until the fish is dead (no gill movement, no response to touch), then wait another hour, then either destroy the brain or freeze the remains (depending on the size of fish) to be absolutely sure."

I'm sorry to hear this!

First of all before euthanasia you need to rule out disease. If it's something treatable I'd hate to recommend putting a creature down. D+D would be the first stop to rule out anything :)

Please do not freeze the fish. Especially with coldwater fish as they can survive right down to 0*C (they can live under ice!) and ice crystals then form in there tissues. Though I've seen no studies on it, it could be a very painful way to kill a creature. They don't go numb like we do in the cold being cold blooded animals, they still feel.

The clove oil method is administered by emulsifying it in a bottle of water (add clove to the bottle of water and shake vigorously until it goes milky white. I generally just use the whole bottle, it's 3 dollars and then you know the mix isn't to weak) and pouring this into a container containing the fish. I don't use alcohol personally with it. Add it slowly to numb then knock out the fish then kill it, not to fast or they thrash as it can burn. The idea is to numb them as it is an anaesthetic then over dose them. Watch for any gill movements for the next half hour to hour to be sure the fish is gone. This is just a short summary on how to do it, there are plenty of threads on here that go into great detail and I would recommend checking them out prior to doing anything.

The best method by far though is to get a water soluble anaesthetic from your vet and overdose them on that, though I understand it's not always an option. Theres a certain kind that's best, and the name escapes me at the moment which is bad because I've always had it on hand for emergencies! I'll look it up asap.

Edit- MS-222 is what I use.

The thing about fish taking the negative impact is a Chinese thing. Typically a tank with a certain number of different coloured fish was kept (usually a number of orange with one black one) and when the black one died it was said to be taking a dose of bad luck or averting a bad event that would otherwise befall the one who tended to it. But any goldfish dying was also believed to be taking bad luck, just the tradition was the black goldfish was there to advert danger. It's a nice little story. :)

And your in the right place for a chat and some sympathy! Losing a fish is not easy, especially one you've had for so long! Lots of good thoughts your way!

Edited by Amber

no, they only sell it in chemists here.. i hope she finds a late night one as it's touching on midnight here now (friday) and that's normally close time for most chemists.

Lucky you, pharmacists are only open till 18u30 here

I hope your goldie will pass away gently

:hug to you. I'm sure you gave him a wonderfull life. :9

Hey guys thanks for your replies x

Found a late night chemist, GOT SOME CLOVE OIL, but no vodka

I'm going to do a water check to make sure levels etc just to make sure it's not a water issue. I just did a 50 water change a couple of days ago.

He's had a growing white cyst? on his head now for about 5-6 years, and another that developed right in the corner of his eye over the last 6 months.

I'll check the water and report back.

He's looking very pathetic, gill movement is slowing down by the hour.

Strange how I dreamt only a few nights ago about a black goldfish swimming in the tank and Goldie salvo dead in the air above him

:(

I'm sorry to hear that Goldie Salvo isn't doing well. While I don't know you, I do know that it takes quite an amazing fish mom to keep one for 14 years. You guys have had a wonderful journey together, and you are still there, doing what you can for him, up to his last moments.

Ok water levels perfect

Here is a video of Goldie savlo from a few years ago you can see the "cyst" I have not got a pic of the recent cyst developing in the corner of this eye.

th_bric-4.jpg

Hope you can see this?

The cyst is twice as big now

.......by the way his growth is stunted because I wasn't to fish savvy earlier on in his life, he lived in a 20 liter tank (not such a good Mum but I learnt), for the last 3 years his lived like a fishy king in a 150 liter tank with a fluval canister filter.

.......by the way his growth is stunted because I wasn't to fish savvy earlier on in his life, he lived in a 20 liter tank (not such a good Mum but I learnt), for the last 3 years his lived like a fishy king in a 150 liter tank with a fluval canister filter.

Oh dear I'm all teary hear

I have 10ml bottle of clove oil

I will mix/shake this with enough water to make a milky fluid

I will place Goldie salvo in a container and slowly add the clove oil

Please confirm, I want to do it asap this is killing me!

Edited by salvo

• Supporter

i feel for you hun, i really do.. but the information that fang posted earlier re euthanizing is the best combination that we've found to work for quick and painless. does he look like he won't last till the morning? ie, even if you do a water change now, do you think that will perk him up a little?

also, another good indication if he's not going to make it through the night is refusal of food. has he eaten? is he pooping at all?

you and salvo have had a great journey together. Sorry that it seems to be coming to an end. Peace to you both.

Stakos - so I need the vodka for it to be really effective? There's a 24 hours liquor shop not far from me, but I'm a total wreck now, don't know if I'm up a visit to the liquor shop, it's 1.30am I'm shaking like a leaf.

He is arched on the tank floor, gills are moving very slowly, he can't swim let alone eat.

I doubt if he'll make it to through the night.

Thanks guys for you sympathy x