Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWolf

Help With Food Routine

I am new to owning goldfish and I would appreciate some help figuring out a proper feeding schedule. I would like to feed them twice a day. I would also like to fast on Saturdays, then feed peas on Sunday. I currently have goldfish flakes, spirulina discs, and freeze dried brine shrimp in addition to the peas. I soak all of these foods before giving them to the fish. I have also given them lettuce and cocktail shrimp when I have them.

I wouldn't use the flakes anymore. They're usually very poor in nutrition and lack vitamins. Stick to a good sinking pellet like hikari foods such as Saki Hikari or Hikari lionhead. Omega one goldfish pellets are also good. How big are your fish? If they're still young they need to be fed more than once a day, and 3-5 smaller meals a day are usually better for the fish's growth than 2 large meals a day. Be careful with the freeze dried food as well since they might lack some nutritional value as well. :) I would try and get frozen blood worms or frozen brine shrimp. The Hikari brand is great for that as well. I hope this helps you out some. :)

Why do you think that flakes are lacking in nutrition and vitamins? Omega one flakes are almost exactly the same as the pellets. In fact they have a bit more protein, I believe.

ETA: yes, it is 39% vs 33%...I know that if soaked or left for a long time in the water, the soluble ingredients may leave the flake faster, but the fish usually eat them too quickly for that to be significant, as far as I've seen.

Edited by Calluna

Flake foods, when opened, can loose it's nutritional value very quickly. This is true for the vitamins contained in the food. They get oxidized rapidly. If you divide up the contents of your flake food bottle into multiple vacuum sealed bags and use up each bag within a month or so, you're fine.

Flake foods, when opened, can loose it's nutritional value very quickly. This is true for the vitamins contained in the food. They get oxidized rapidly. If you divide up the contents of your flake food bottle into multiple vacuum sealed bags and use up each bag within a month or so, you're fine.

:exactly

But they do lose vitamins much faster than pellets when in the water, due to their surface area. So if you are pre-soaking, you may be degrading their nutritional value significantly (vs a pellet which has less surface area).

I feed flakes to my tropical fish because they get eaten instantly, and because they are less prone to swim bladder issues I don't pre-soak. But for goldfish, I definitely prefer pellets.

I would give more variety to your fish. I feed all sorts of stuff. Pellets are the main diet but tend to feed that just once a day. The the other feeding (I feed twice a day too) I feed other things. Bloodworm's, wax worms, shrimp pellets, brine shrimp.....

Variety helps make sure they get all they need from their food.