My Gsp

seheap

I am SO excited! My little GSP is getting a new tank tonight!

:fishtank:

Steve is picking up the 30g tank after work, we are setting it up tonight and tomorrow and hopefully Fugu is going in in two days!

It's so exciting, I have been trying to get Steve to get him a bigger tank for (literally) years now, and finally he's realizing that the tank Fugu in is too small. Unfortunately we have to use all new sand and rock from the sump of Steve's reef tank because Fugu's current tank is OVERRUN with aiptasia. We're going to try and control the aiptasia with peppermint shrimp, so the little tank is going to be kept running to see if we can salvage the sand/rock in there.

Pictures will follow!

I can't wait for pics! I really want a GSP but am too afraid of salt :P

O, don't be afraid of salt, ashlee! It's really not that difficult once you get the basics down. And GSPs are SO rewarding, they have such great personalities! They are like the goldfish of the brackish/saltwater world! :P

How big is your GSP?

He's about three and a half inches. He's in WAY too small a tank, and it's been worrying me to no end! But all that's about to change. :)

I will get pictures today as we set up the tank and share them tonight before I head out to church.

Your puffer will be happy with all that new space :) I love puffers, we used to have 2 dwarf puffers and they are fascinating fish. Such little characters. Would love to have a marine tank one day.

Ugh! Steve was called in to work so all we could do was set up the tank (which took about three hours....the floors are SO UNLEVEL!) and get it half full of water and salt. The other half is coming as soon as his RO/DI unit makes more water...

But here are some of the pictures of the first half of the set-up!

16008d58.jpg

ba9e81ea.jpg

fa275cb1.jpg

4b1e68e3.jpg

Tomorrow hopefully the water will be ready and we will add the sand and rock. Then Friday or Saturday Fugu is going in.

I'll take a picture of Fugu tomorrow! :)

Thanks everyone! I am really proud of him! He's the one who jumped out of his tank, dried to the floor and made a miraculous recovery! He's my little miracle fish!

Helen, let me tell you, he's only smiling cuz he was plotting my demise. He saw me there, but didn't get any food, so he was really upset! :rofl

Yes, Maceo, it would be bad to hug him....he'd probably bite your hands off! ;) He's a vicious little bugger, but I love him to death! :)

Helen, let me tell you, he's only smiling cuz he was plotting my demise. He saw me there, but didn't get any food, so he was really upset! :rofl

Yes, Maceo, it would be bad to hug him....he'd probably bite your hands off! ;) He's a vicious little bugger, but I love him to death! :)

That must be why they look so cute. They are like evil goldfish :rofl

:Congrats: with bigger tank

I love GSPs! I have had 2 since 2004. They live a long time and have loads of personality. You tank looks so nice that I felt bad for mine and cleaned their tank. It is more of a pain to clean since they need that expensive marine salt. What do you feed yours, how much salt do you use? What is the correct stocking ratio? Funny that I have had mine for so long and I do not know that much about them, but they seem to be pretty forgiving.

I love GSPs! I have had 2 since 2004. They live a long time and have loads of personality. You tank looks so nice that I felt bad for mine and cleaned their tank. It is more of a pain to clean since they need that expensive marine salt. What do you feed yours, how much salt do you use? What is the correct stocking ratio? Funny that I have had mine for so long and I do not know that much about them, but they seem to be pretty forgiving.

I feed mine a bunch of different stuff! He loves carnivore pellets, and freeze dried krill. He also LOVES (and I mean L-O-V-E-S) the occasional pest snail. He will pretty much try anything, though, so we just try anything at least once!

I think his SG is at 1.026 or 1.025 I think it's so high because it's a fish only tank, maybe? But I'm not sure on that! I'll ask Steve, he's the one who knows saltwater!

The correct stocking ratio is 10g when they are 1-2inches, 20g when they are 3-4 inches and 30g+ when they are 5 inches and up. Like I said, my guy is in a too small tank, but the new tank is 40g, so hopefully he will forgive us!

O and they should only be kept solo. Unless you have two that were hatched together, or are really lucky! Even then they can change temperament quickly, and you might end up losing one or both to violence!

So cute hun.... Yeah I wouldnt stick my hands in there... they bite and hard too :lol

:lol Tell me about it! I remember the first time he chomped me! It was painful, and he was much smaller!!

Here's another picture, this one with rocks! (oooo, aaahh) He might be going in tonight or tomorrow! There was a small cycle bump, but it should be settled tonight!

da8ea97d.jpg

I am probably gonna sound like a terrible GSP owner. I bought them together in late 2004. The have since lived in a 20g hex ever since. They are the only fish in the tank (never shared the tank with another species at any time). They have regular type gravel and some fake plants a heater, and an aquaclear 30 filter. When I change out their water (85%) I pour in about half the amount that it states to use for a salt water tank (thinking they are brackish water fish, somewhere in between is good) and a capful of prime. I use the Oceanic salt in the silver bag. Thats it for the fuss. They are very forgiving of this regimine. I feed them a small brick blood worms once a day. Somtimes some freeze dried krill. They are actually my husbands fish, but I am the only one who cares for them (so guess the are mine).

They are not that big, maybe two inches not including tail. I had no idea that they could get to five inches. I have never seen one IRL at fish stores or peoples houses that big. I wonder if that is more the exception than the rule?

edit, maybe more like 2.5" without tail.

I should also add that they show no agressiveness to each other. Just go crazy over the food (rip at food, not each other)

I know that they need more variety in their food for sure. I could use some suggestions on low fuss variety food (frozen or freeze dried is a low fuss as I will go).

Thanks.

Edited by NightAngel

I hate to say it, but I think you're little guys are stunted. I've only had my GSP for 3.5 years and he's grown from 1 to 3inches. Since you've had yours for at least twice as long as I've had mine, it's very odd that they haven't grown more. The reason you never see them larger in fish stores is because they are a FULL MARINE fish and most stores keep them in fresh (they are spawned in freshwater estuaries then through their life they move to brackish, then to salt) or really good stores keep them in brackish. I've never seen them for sale in full marine conditions.

The full adult size of GSP is 6+ inches and they can get up to 7 inches in the wild (ask Stakos, she catches them wild on her fishing trips!) :o

If they are ok with being in brackish, then you can keep them there. But you should maybe do a bit of research (thepufferforum.com is a great resource!) and learn about acclimating them to a higher salinity. In full marine conditions they will be healthier and happier in the long run. And they will live for much longer than if they are kept in brackish. They can live up to 15 years in the aquarium. But, like I said, it's up to you.

As for food, you can really try anything. Like I said, my guy tries anything. Make sure you give them crunchy food to keep their beaks trimmed. Try freeze dried krill.