Sign in to follow this  
stagefright

Cutting Vacation Food To Size

hey everyone first post hi hi. my extended family is going on a vacation for a week, i have no friends. so no one is able to feed my fish while im gone. i bought a ten day food lighthouse shaped white thing. but its for 10-15 gallon tanks, and 10 fish. i have two fish, and my tank is 20 litres. it was the only long term food the store had. can i cut it down to about 1/5 the size, or by cutting it will i ruin the longevity of the food? thanks for the help!

20 liters is too small for goldfish. The rule is 20 gallons per first fancy, 10 for every additional. That is way too small for even ONE fish! If I were you I'd try and re-home them ASAP, unless you can upgrade. Fish can survive without being fed up to a week, if need be. Cutting the food won't hurt, but it doesn't ensure everyone's going to get some. :(

we really don't advise for people to use the vacation blocks. They cause more harm than good. The best bet would be to buy a plant that they could graze on while you are away.

And I agree with Vee. That tank is about 5 gallons. Way too small for two goldfish.

They have 10 fish.. :( I would see if there is a local pond with goldies you could place them in, else, take them back to the store.

He says the feeder is for ten fish but he has two, thats one reason for wanting to cut it.

too small? ive always been told my tank was laughably big for two fish. maybe i have the size wrong. but they are both four years old, and healthy and huge. i guess i will just put a little bit of the food into the tank before we go then. dont know anywhere that sells plants but il look for that as well.

hi there! welcome to koko's.. nice to meet you!

seeing as we are absolutely unsure of the size of your tank.. would you be able to list the measurements of it? height width & length? we will work out what it is in gallons and help you more accurately in what you need to do..

Oops. Sorry! Lol that's what I get for reading while being medicated! Two would be much easier to buy a tank for. Try Craigslist when you get home. You should be able to find a 30g easy for not too much.