Sign in to follow this  
jadenichole

Treats

I have read that goldfish usually LOVE romaine lettuce.. I boiled some and clipped it in the tank for him and he didn't seem to even touch it in the 12 hours I left it hang in there.. what gives?

He LOVES the peas I put in there.. :)

What should I be giving to vary his diet? I have pellet food and flake food.. I see a lot of people recommend Hikari so I think I'll order some since I can't find it around here. For treats and health do you recommend bloodworms and brine shrimp canned and dried, freeze dried, live?? With them being live I worry about disease?

I have read that goldfish usually LOVE romaine lettuce.. I boiled some and clipped it in the tank for him and he didn't seem to even touch it in the 12 hours I left it hang in there.. what gives?

What should I be giving to vary his diet? I have pellet food and flake food.. I see a lot of people recommend Hikari so I think I'll order some since I can't find it around here. For treats and health do you recommend bloodworms and brine shrimp canned and dried, freeze dried, live?? With them being live I worry about disease?

What vegetables your goldfish may like will depend on the individual. Try various things. You don't need to boil the lettuce. Blanching it is sufficient. Peas are great :) Oranges are also great healthy treats.

As for the other stuff, I recommend frozen...like bloodworms etc. I don't recommend live or freeze-dried, since live could introduce parasites and the freeze dried stuff could contribute to floatiness.

What vegetables your goldfish may like will depend on the individual. Try various things. You don't need to boil the lettuce. Blanching it is sufficient. Peas are great :) Oranges are also great healthy treats.

As for the other stuff, I recommend frozen...like bloodworms etc. I don't recommend live or freeze-dried, since live could introduce parasites and the freeze dried stuff could contribute to floatiness.

Where can you get frozen?? At Pets&Mart or Pet&co?

I can't find Hikari at Pets&Mart or Pet&co for Orandas? Just Plecos and stuff?? What Hakari food is recommended for Orandas?

I can't find Hikari at Pets&Mart or Pet&co for Orandas? Just Plecos and stuff?? What Hakari food is recommended for Orandas?

Nevermind I found some online :)

The frozen stuff should be available at both the Pet*XX places. If you can't find the freezer, just ask an employee to point you to it. I personally don't have any Hikari food products, but I believe the sinking Hikari Lionhead pellets are highly recommended. I recently just started making my own gel food, and I highly recommend it to you. My fish go crazy for it :)

Normally they have a Freezer door next to the Goldfish section, thats normally where I find it in P Smart :)

I just picked up some frozen brine shrimp squares... can I give him one square at a time?? Just toss it in his tank frozen? and how often?? Like maybe one every other day?

I just picked up some frozen brine shrimp squares... can I give him one square at a time?? Just toss it in his tank frozen? and how often?? Like maybe one every other day?

I put it in some tank water so that it thaws and then I put it in the tank. I'm not sure how big is one square, but considering you only have one fish, you may not want to give it the whole thing. These things, once thawed, can sit in the fridge for a couple of days.

I give my goldfish bloodworms every night, except for fasting and pea days. They also love cucumber. They can eat through three slices in a night.

The brine shrimp frozen squares are great and handy and fish LOVE them but as said, one whole square is a HUGE feast for one fish. Lol. One of those squares will do 4 times I would say maybe more. I find after a water change when the water is cleanest I can just wiggle a square in the water with clean fingers...frozen..as is..and little shrimp pieces float off...and then I re-freeze it. Has worked for me for years. I also feed mysis frozen shrimp squares and frozen bloodworms as treats. Also my fish like kiwi and one fish likes banana. Brocolli (small head of)is popular as a soccer game! They chase it round the tank :rofl