Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

Is My Gel Food Going To Be Safe?

Hi everyone,

I am going to attempt to make my first gel food batch and digging at my parents this is what I have grabbed.

1 cup of frozen peas, carrots, green beans and a few lima beans

1 hand ful of shredded cabbage (this ok?)

a handful of blue berries (de shell them?)

10 inch thing of celery (pointless?)

2.6 oz of tuna in water packet

An orange

I have some applesauce no sugar added as well

Going to add blood worms (hikari)

Add omega one pellets?

Anything I should leave out or add? How many gel packets would this take?

Now here are tablets they have I could grab... Should I add any of these?

Juice plus veggie and fruit ones (I grabbed one of each?)

Vitamin D

Acai

flax seed

zinc

fiber

I add two packets of the unflavored gelatin to mine. The food hardens, doesn't disintegrate in the tank, and the fish gobble them up :)

I would leave out all the fruit. Even with no sugar added, the applesauce still has too much sugar. Id say swap out the cabbage for spinach and its good.

And id also skip out on the vitamins. I think the only one people add are those pearls that I cannot spell on my phone.

I agree with ashlee. Fruit is very high in sugars. Mine get fresh or gel-food-yfied fruit once weekly / every other week.

I really have no experience with cabbage but I wonder if it has a similar effect on fish as on people and makes them gassy. Which would not be good.There too I agree with maybe substituting with spinach. Spinach is great for goldfish and (at least mine) love it.

I'm not saying I have the perfect recipe (although mine grow like weed and put a little bit of healthy weight on since I feed it) but here is how I make mine. (also don't forget I make a huge load and freeze it)

2 two-packs (so 4 little containers) of Gerber 2nd foods Garden Vegetables http://ecx.images-am...51HSbjMiMrL.jpg

1 jar of baby food carrots (for the vitamin A - color enhancer) about 3 or 4 ounces

1 jar of baby food squash, about 3 or 4 ounces

1 two pack of baby food green beans or peas

.75 - 1 lb fresh fish (cooked in a skillet with a little bit of water)

2 tbsp wheat germ

2 crushed basic multivitamin tablets (I actually crush 3 to 4 but so much stuff gets lost in the process that it probably equals only two)

2 crushed acidophilus tablets (They also sell it as powder capsules which is probably much easier)

2 crushed Vitamin C tablets (again, if you find powder capsules it is a lot easier)

a piece of cuttle fish bone (about the size of an average playing dice) pulverized, for the calcium

6 packets (I think) of Knox Gelatine

3 crushed garlic cloves

water as needed

So my gel food basically contains Spinach, Carrot, Peas (Garden Veggies), Green Beans or additional peas, squash, garlic, fish, wheat germ and vitamins.

I'm not saying I have the perfect recipe (although mine grow like weed and put a little bit of healthy weight on since I feed it) but here is how I make mine. (also don't forget I make a huge load and freeze it)

2 two-packs (so 4 little containers) of Gerber 2nd foods Garden Vegetables http://ecx.images-am...51HSbjMiMrL.jpg

1 jar of baby food carrots (for the vitamin A - color enhancer) about 3 or 4 ounces

1 jar of baby food squash, about 3 or 4 ounces

1 two pack of baby food green beans or peas

.75 - 1 lb fresh fish (cooked in a skillet with a little bit of water)

2 tbsp wheat germ

2 crushed basic multivitamin tablets (I actually crush 3 to 4 but so much stuff gets lost in the process that it probably equals only two)

2 crushed acidophilus tablets (They also sell it as powder capsules which is probably much easier)

2 crushed Vitamin C tablets (again, if you find powder capsules it is a lot easier)

a piece of cuttle fish bone (about the size of an average playing dice) pulverized, for the calcium

6 packets (I think) of Knox Gelatine

3 crushed garlic cloves

water as needed

So my gel food basically contains Spinach, Carrot, Peas (Garden Veggies), Green Beans or additional peas, squash, garlic, fish, wheat germ and vitamins.

Good God, Fang, how long does a batch last for you? It does seem very good. I will try out your recipe when I run out of the current batch :)