Store Bought Spring Water

A water main broke in our community so there is now a boil order for a few days. I just need to top my tank up a gallon or two. Just a silly question, I am sure it's okay, but can I use spring water?

A water main broke in our community so there is now a boil order for a few days. I just need to top my tank up a gallon or two. Just a silly question, I am sure it's okay, but can I use spring water?

A quick search brought this up:

http://www.evian.com/#/en_US/20-evian-is-the-right-choice

I'd be curious to know if anyone here mite suggest the use of spring water as an alternative source :idont

Compared to tap water (in Belgium at least), spring water was is rather rich in salts and minerals . As far as I'm aware, too mineral-rich is not advisable, so in general I wouldn't recommend spring water as a good alternative to tap water if it's for your tank. As Ashlee mentioned though, using it in a pinch isn't a problem, especially if you take the time to select one that isn't too rich in minerals and such (in my own experience, the cheaper ones tend to fit that profile better).

Just my two cents :).

• Supporter

Compared to tap water (in Belgium at least), spring water was is rather rich in salts and minerals . As far as I'm aware, too mineral-rich is not advisable, so in general I wouldn't recommend spring water as a good alternative to tap water if it's for your tank. As Ashlee mentioned though, using it in a pinch isn't a problem, especially if you take the time to select one that isn't too rich in minerals and such (in my own experience, the cheaper ones tend to fit that profile better).

Just my two cents :).

agreed :)

Hawaiian Crush, I was wondering the same thing. I'm in the boil order zone too. Says this morning it could be lifted tonight. I was planning to just check params & change on Monday instead of Saturday or Sunday if params were safe.

I would boil the water. But of course not add it hot. lol Or get some from someone that does not have to boil.

Good luck

Ah, I just noticed that I assumed spring water as in 'bottled spring water', but it could of course just as well mean 'freshly taken spring water'. :unsure:

With respect to the minerals, and assuming we're talking about bottled spring water :unsure:, it's always best to add some prime or something similar, because besides capturing chlorine and such those products usually also capture excess minerals.

Thanks all for your replies :) I did use a gallon of bottled spring water for topping up the tank. I used some prime just to be safe. It had a ph of 6.5.

Never thought of boiling it and allowing it to cool, lol, I guess that's what a boil order is.

I forgot Red you were in the same city. The order was lifted yesterday at 4 pm. Do you get a soft water with ph of 7.0 as well?

I am in the north end as well. My tank will drop to 6.0 at the end of my weekly wc schedule. I use crushed coral to maintain about 7.8-8.0 and Goldfish Plus water conditioner to get it to around 7.8 during wc. I want to try Buff It Up to help with the ph problems I have with our water. I get so frustrated with our water with its low kh/gh.

I didn't notice any drop in the tap ph, but I hadn't been testing it too much as I use the Goldfish Plus to get it to 7.8ish

I find the crushed coral works well too. I've never tested kh/gh. I don't adjust the water PH during water changes, I just add it straight from the tap (with AquaPlus), PH in tank is 7.6 on water change day