Sign in to follow this  
dnalex

Gel Food

Two days ago I made my own gel food for the first time, and I'm really glad I did. My fish loved it, and it was really easy to make.

My question is this: right now the food contains tuna, Gerber's carrot & peas. Is this good, or do I need to add other ingredients? Thanks :)

That sounds good. Did you add any vitamins or probiotics?

I recently started adding frozen peas and carrots, and a small amount of banana baby food to mine. The fish like it even more than my old recipe with just baby food peas and carrots. :) And I use salmon instead of tuna. No real reason, I just prefer it.

For the first time around, I just stuck to the basics, but it would be great if I could add vitamins and probiotics etc. the next time around. The problem of course is that I have to hunt around for them. I'm not quite sure yet what else exactly to get. I just can't believe how much they like the gel food. They may even like it better than bloodworms.

If you got a food processor you could grind up some fresh fruits in there, like an apple... or I used to grind up bell peppers. My fish loved that :)

These are great tips. I am going to attempt to make my own gel food next week. Wasn't there a thread once with lots of recipes?

Not to hijack this thread, but recently I've been wondering how long gel food lasts for in the freezer? I still have a ton from the last time I made it, but I'm guessing that was at least eight months ago. I hate to toss it, but I hate to feed them "old" food.

I can't freeze my gel food. It makes it impossible to serve, gets "freezer burn" and when I let it thaw it's all watery.. :(

I can't freeze my gel food. It makes it impossible to serve, gets "freezer burn" and when I let it thaw it's all watery.. :(

That's strange. Mine freeze just fine, and thaws almost immediately without turning into mush. What is in your food?

Baby food (peas, carrots), ground tuna, flax seed, a crushed daily vitamin (not gender specific), and the gelatin.. :idont

Baby food (peas, carrots), ground tuna, flax seed, a crushed daily vitamin (not gender specific), and the gelatin.. :idont

That's essentially what I have in mine, minus the vitamins. I use the food processor to puree 1 can of tuna (I keep the water in the can also). Then I mix it with 2 jars baby food. In a 1/2 cup of boiling water, I add 2 packets of unflavored gelatin and dissolve. After the gelatin has dissolved, I mix the two together in a saran wrap-lined pan, let cool, stick in fridge for 3-4 hours, cut up into cubes, transfer to plastic container, and freeze. No mess, no mush, and the fish love it :)

Maybe it's the container you use to freeze it in. It has to be sealed really well to keep at all in the freezer. If not it will definitely get freezer burn. I bought baggies specifically for freezer use and double-bagged whenever I kept food in the freezer. Even then I found it just wasn't the same as fresh, so I try to make smaller batches now and not freeze any.

I use Hefty or Ziploc freezer bags for mine, and try to have as little air in the bags as possible. That usually works really good and keeps the frozen gel food fresh for months! :)

:hmm ... I let it set in a glass dish, take it out and double bag it in a zip lock baggy, then in a freezer storage bag, and still all the freezer burn problems. I think I could go through all the food in a month, but if I freeze it it's not worth using..

I had a freezer burn issue, too--now I cut it into big squares and wrape them individually in plastic wrap, then put in freezer bag. I then defrost a square about twice a week. That works (though it is a bit of a pain to wrpa the squares, it really doesn't take that long).

Nothing else seems to get freezer burnt.. We keep everything from ice cream, girl scout cookies, frozen meals, chicken, etc. in the fridge and it all seems fine. I even tried turning the temperature down so it matched the temperature of the fridge (Both are at 6 or something like that) and it still froze over like the end of the world took place in the ice-pop drawer. :idont

Would I be able to wrap them in foil? I know metals in the tank water isn't very good for the fishies, but we don't use Saran Wrap in my house, plus I can never tear a sheet without it folding into itself. :rofl

Edited by Vee

Would I be able to wrap them in foil? I know metals in the tank water isn't very good for the fishies, but we don't use Saran Wrap in my house, plus I can never tear a sheet without it folding into itself. :rofl

I have that same problem! :rofl

I have that same problem! :rofl

:lol I'm not alone anymore!

It seems like every time I get one corner undone the other half sticks itself back to the rest of the sheet! :rofl

Maybe I missed this but do you cut it up before you freeze it? I freeze mine in big blocks, so there is less surface area of the gel food. I wonder if it had to do with that?

It might be. I cut them up, but they're still in cubes too big to give to goldies before cutting further.

If I thaw them I can't even cut them, I just have to chuck it in the tank before it melts all over the place. I think it made my water cloudy, too. I had to do a 100% wc the day after I did an 80%wc just to get it to stop looking like they were swimming in 50g of milk, instead of water! :rofl

What exactly do you put into your mix of gel food and how much? It sounds like you aren't putting enough gelatin into it and that's why you are getting meltdown.

I did have that problem before, and you helped me fix it, remember? :)

I ended up melting it down and putting in a second baggy of gelatin. Should I melt it down again and put a THIRD baggy in? :o ?

I did have that problem before, and you helped me fix it, remember? :)

I ended up melting it down and putting in a second baggy of gelatin. Should I melt it down again and put a THIRD baggy in? :o ?

I do remember lol, and I remember you melting it back down to add gelatin. That's really strange. At this point, since it doesn't really cost that much, it might be better to make fresh batch? I can only offer my own limited experience with this one - which is 2 jars baby food, 1 can tuna, 1/2 cup boiling water with 2 packets gelatin. May be try that + adding your vitamins etc.. I took that recipe from here, and it worked out wonderfully for me. I would NOT want messy water from food :(

:rofl

I'll see if I can get some more baby food soon. I thought about getting some while I was in the store earlier but.. :wall

Tomorrow's another day. :rolleyes: