Question About Tank Size

eather.hey

Hello. I ran into a woman today at the pet store who is just as much into goldies as us! She bought some great fish today and was telling me all about her tanks. Anyway...long story short...she's selling her 75 gallon tank (stand, hood, tank, filter, the works for $150.00!!!!) and I got her phone # because I may be interested. I didn't think to ask her what the measurements are on a tank that size. I used to have a 50 gallon and that was 3 feet long. I'm not sure if I have the room for a 75 gallon but I don't want to pass up this deal! It's more tank than I wanted but I figured what the heck, right? So I was wondering how big are these tanks? Also, that's a ton of weight when it's filled with water. Is there anything you need to do to make sure that it doesn't fall through the floor into the basement? I know that might sound crazy, but I'm a single gal and I'm aloud to ask silly questions like that once in awhile. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys...you're the best!

Heather

Measurements: 48"long 18" wide 21" high. Weight wise your

looking around 600 lbs. If you can have four or five people

stand in the spot where your tank would go, you should be fine.

$150, I'd be all over that deal. That's how much my 75 was

with nothing else. If your not gonna get it, mention it in

trade/sell.

If you are worried about your floor, such as in an older house, the floor joists are stronger near the outside walls, so it you place the tank along an outside wall, rather than in the middle of the room, it would be better. Also, place the tank so that it runs perpendicular to the floor joists, rather than parallel to them, then the weight is sitting on a number of joists rather than just one (or maybe two).

I'm a girl, too, but having built four houses and renovated three, I know things like floor joists :rofl

Thats a great deal on that tank $150. You know I don't think your down stairs neighbors would mind at all if while sitting there watching tv a 75 gallon fish tank suddenly came busting through their ceiling. :rofl I am so joking. I agree with touchofsky put the tank along the outside wall and you should be just fine.

Archived