Sign in to follow this  
CatfishSoup

Brush/bearded Algae

wrote about this before a few months back.. i basically just cant get rid of it! otto cats. well had em for a bit but they eventually died off. hard fish to take care of. anyways, i know you can bleach plants, but that just scares me straight up..D: and i know the flag fish and the Siamese algae eater are the only 2 fish which eat this type of algae but my lfs hasnt had them in months! .. waht do i do!

i have stripped so many leaves, and its just making my tank look bare. i was reading up here

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm

and they said the common pleco..

now, yes common pleco, i know they grow to like 100000000000000000000000000 feet, and i had one for quite some time, but it died mysteriously, without any signs of its cause of death. i also owned it before this algae outbreak, which btw happened months ago when my mom is like skip a water change! too much wasted water.. and of course, i just HAD to listen.. anyways, yes this article says they eat it.. but i dont believe it!

can anyone confirm this? not to mention, it would get big eventually, and/or get stunned.

I would try a bristlenose or rubberlip pleco. Do not get a common, it sounds like you don't have the space for it. BNs and rubberlips only grow to about five inches, so they're perfect. I used to have long stringy hair algae in my tropical tank, but after getting a BN pleco, there's been no trace of algae since! They will, of course, need to be fed with zucchini or cucumber daily once the algae has been cleared though. Most likely it's not growing fast enough to support the pleco for very long.

Edited by Sakura

I would try a bristlenose or rubberlip pleco. Do not get a common, it sounds like you don't have the space for it. BNs and rubberlips only grow to about five inches, so they're perfect. I used to have long stringy hair algae in my tropical tank, but after getting a BN pleco, there's been no trace of algae since! They will, of course, need to be fed with zucchini or cucumber daily once the algae has been cleared though. Most likely it's not growing fast enough to support the pleco for very long.

i have a rubber nose pleco.. does nothing at all, chinese algae eater i own, and i know those dont eat it, i have a red claw shrimp, .. meh, sort of touches it, and snails. they dont do anything. also have a banjo cat.. those hands down dont do anything XD

Hm, strange. Well my BN pleco eats it, so it might be worth a try to get one of those. I have a long fin albino BN. Then again, it could also be my otocinclus or the hillstream loach that are the ones eating the hair algae. Hard to tell.

Hm, strange. Well my BN pleco eats it, so it might be worth a try to get one of those. I have a long fin albino BN. Then again, it could also be my otocinclus or the hillstream loach that are the ones eating the hair algae. Hard to tell.

i dont have hair algae though, bearded algae. all the bottom feeders.. and my now missing pair of otto cats would hands down eat hair algae, which is soft, but not bearded algae.. not to sure if youre confused or i am but anyways it looks like this

Sunken ship beard algae

which is not hairalgae which is

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=hair%20algae&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1920&bih=955

which i dont mind.

Okay I see. Sometimes I talk about them as if they're the same thing, and I mistakenly think other people do too! :P That beard algae is nasty, I can see why you want it gone. I guess I don't have any suggestions for that, except maybe try to make tank conditions even more favorable for plants so that they grow faster and starve out the algae. Factors to consider would be tank temperature, lighting, and nutrients. You might just have to play around with different combinations of these factors to find a happy medium for the tank.

Okay I see. Sometimes I talk about them as if they're the same thing, and I mistakenly think other people do too! :P That beard algae is nasty, I can see why you want it gone. I guess I don't have any suggestions for that, except maybe try to make tank conditions even more favorable for plants so that they grow faster and starve out the algae. Factors to consider would be tank temperature, lighting, and nutrients. You might just have to play around with different combinations of these factors to find a happy medium for the tank.

hmm.. the tank has always been happy before the issue. which was well, skipping a water change. i have cut down the amount of hrs a lot on the tank, so that the algae doesnt thrive on the lighting as much as it did before, but this is some tough one for sure.. just our of curiosity. how do you bleach plants?

I had beard algae on my plants, the poor things. Anyway, my male bn pleco took care of it in days. For some reason the females wouldn't touch it but the male attacked it the night he was put into the tank. He is older, I don't know if that is a factor or not.

Here is a good thread on bleaching/disinfecting plants.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/35594-could-we-pin-a-thread-about-how-to/

And here is the specific method I like to use:

Bleach is used at 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Dip the plant in the solution for 1 minute (for delicate stem plants), 2 minutes for tougher plants like java fern and anubias. Rinse several times in clear water, followed by a rinse in dechlorinated water.

I had beard algae on my plants, the poor things. Anyway, my male bn pleco took care of it in days. For some reason the females wouldn't touch it but the male attacked it the night he was put into the tank. He is older, I don't know if that is a factor or not.

so if i buy a YOUNG Bn (bristle nose? or bushy nose? or is it the same thing ) pleco, wil it eat it? and i hope your not getting confused with the algaes here as well, cus i have only heard of two fish that eat it.

Here is a good thread on bleaching/disinfecting plants.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/35594-could-we-pin-a-thread-about-how-to/

And here is the specific method I like to use:

Bleach is used at 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Dip the plant in the solution for 1 minute (for delicate stem plants), 2 minutes for tougher plants like java fern and anubias. Rinse several times in clear water, followed by a rinse in dechlorinated water.

so if i am right.. one cup lets say is 500 ml, of bleach, and 500ml x 19 of water ? how long should it be in water? and what about drift wood?

Yep. Beard algae and brown algae are the only two types of algae that grow in my tanks. I haven't seen hair algae in 2+ years and that was in a tank I don't have anymore. He is a young male bristlenose pleco. No older than 5-6 months old. He has a huge head, which I was told is a good indicator for him being a male even though he doesn't have big bristles yet.

Yes that ratio is correct. I never bleach driftwood, instead I boil it for about 10-20 minutes. I just think it's too difficult/impossible to fully rinse all the bleach out of driftwood since it's so porous. I'm not sure that bleaching all the plants will get rid of the issue though. If conditions are favorable for the algae, it will just grow back again.

Yep. Beard algae and brown algae are the only two types of algae that grow in my tanks. I haven't seen hair algae in 2+ years and that was in a tank I don't have anymore. He is a young male bristlenose pleco. No older than 5-6 months old. He has a huge head, which I was told is a good indicator for him being a male even though he doesn't have big bristles yet.

alright thanks! i hope that i can maybe get one or a pair tom. and see how it goes, even if they dont work, i like botom feeders.

Yes that ratio is correct. I never bleach driftwood, instead I boil it for about 10-20 minutes. I just think it's too difficult/impossible to fully rinse all the bleach out of driftwood since it's so porous. I'm not sure that bleaching all the plants will get rid of the issue though. If conditions are favorable for the algae, it will just grow back again.

alright thanks! i shall boil the drift wood at least, as bleaching sounds scary still to me. and yeah, it seems like this algae just wont go away! hopefully i can tighten the leash on this as its getting out of control. i just want to buy a bunch of new plant and ditch the bad ones! even though that may not do much ..XD

Add more plants and do a few extra water changes. Maybe split the time on your light so you have a 3/4 hour lights out in the afternoon.

Good luck