Sign in to follow this  
Robert227

Newbie Kinda

I have had this one goldfish for four going on five years. It finally out grew the original 10 gal. tank. I was able to purchase an existing tank that is 36 gals. with a Fluval 205 filter that had four smaller goldfish already. The big guy seems much happier now but with him all I did was feed him twice a day and clean the tank when it got really bad. So now I am trying to do this one the right way. I am going to post all the stats asked for in the treatment forum as a starting point as well as a link to some pics. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Nono/album.php?aid=2112117&id=1426383486&l=664569e4d6

[*]Ammonia Level?

.25ppm

[*]Nitrite Level?

0ppm

[*]Nitrate level?

160ppm!

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

API Master test kit

[*]Water temperature?

N/A

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

36 gals. I have had it 2 weeks but it was up 6 months before move

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

205 Fluval

BIO MAX top filter

BIO MAX and NITRA-ZORB middle filter

Charcoal bottom filter

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

Not sure with this tank

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

5 total, 4 small and 1 LARGE

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

TOPFIN Water Conditioner when adding new water

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

TopFin GoldFish Flakes. (All the bigboy really likes)

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

Had large fish added him to existing tank with 4 smaller fish

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

Not at this time

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Large fish had sore on nose but it is much better since moving to larger tank

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

No

As mentioned in the other topic, you should re home the four smaller fish. The current tank is big enough for the one big fish only - although honestly in my opinion he should be at least in a 55 gallon tank. Not even so much for the gallons of water but for the actual SPACE to move around. Your big fish seems quite confined even in the new, larger tank - but that is just my opinion.

How big is that fish?

Obviously the beneficial bacteria needs to adjust to the extra load of waste from your big fish. The 160 nitrate are extremely toxic, do a couple back to back 80% water changes IMMEDIATELY to get the nitrate as close to zero as possible!

Water change schedule - if you keep only the big fish - should be once weekly at least 50%.

One last question: are you sure this tank is 36 gallons? To me it looks like a 20 gallon tall tank, but that might just be the pictures. Can you tell me the dimensions of the tank please? :)

I would also slowly start to remove at least half of the existing gravel. It only takes up room for water volume and will trap dirt, and pockets of toxic gas can form in it.

Those plane ornaments, what are they made of? They don't look like fish tank ornaments to me. I would remove them, who knows what chemicals are in it.

The difference in pH seems a bit much. You should age the water for the water changes. Like getting the water in a tub 24 hours prior to the water change, put an air stone in and just let it sit, so the pH will adjust to the pH in the tank. That way the fish won't get shocked form a high fluctuation in pH :)

I'm sure the ph drop is due to the lack of water changes. Doing more frequent water changes will help stabilize the ph.

That is one large fishie! :o

Everyone has a different opinion about size requirements but it does depend on the size of the fish. Most will say 20g for a comet/common is fine but in this case I agree with Fang that this guy needs around a 50g at least. The other ones in there have the potential to get just as large and there are too many fish for that size tank already. If I were to keep them all in one tank I would have to say a 75g would work. That would be the smallest size I would put all those guys in if it were me. Check out some used tank prices maybe if you can, there are some great deals out there and you could still use that tank as a qt tank. Frequent/large water changes are your best bet until you can get something larger for them.

Fred is between 6 and 7 inches long and about 1 1/2 thick. The thickness is what makes me think it is a female but it is going to stay a fish named Fred. Fang is right, the tank is only a 28 Gals not 36 like the guy I bought it from told me but at least it is bigger than what Fred had. I will find a good home for the others.

All I can say is Fred must be a hearty fish since I never changed the water as much as recommended! But in my defense I did not research a lot on the web. I just fed him twice a day and changed water when I could not keep it clear. Now that I have spent some time setting up this larger tank with more fish I find I like looking at them. I have them in front of the treadmill (since we both are just treading along :goldfish: ) so maybe I will setup a larger tank with plants and fish and make this a real hobby for myself.

I will keep you updated on my fish odessey, thanks for the advice.

Robert

Update on the new fish tank. I talked to the guy at the Fish store and he agreed to take three of the five fish I had so now I am down to my huge goldfish and one small very "gold" fish. I did a 75% water change this weekend and now my water is:

pH:7.4

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 40 ppm

I tested the tap water and it looks good so I bought a NITRA-ZORB for the tank but it does not work in my FLUVALL 205. I tried just adding Aquarium Salt but this also did not help. Any ideas?

I have also removed most of the gravel as Fang suggested. I had to replace the Carbon media in the filter. Right now the filter media is The heavy scrubbing media then carbon and the BIO-MAX at the top. I have uploaded some new photos of the two fishies :yeah:

Nono/album.php?aid=2112117&id=1426383486&l=664569e4d6

wow! that big fish is GIANT! and beautiful.

Good on you for re-homing some of the fish. I'm sure it will go better now.

Welcome to the addictive world of fish keeping.

It looks so much better. congrats on the work.

I like it :)