Gonzo Is Up And Moving!

AMeyers

I have a very sick fish. Several times I have considered euthanizing him. Today, I thought he might be dead when I got home from work.

He has been having issues related to a chronic swim bladder problem. It has been going on close to a year. He has good days and bad days. Recently, he has had more bad days than good.

Yesterday morning, I woke up to find him curled on his side at the bottom of the tank. He was breathing and would barely move. It was painful to watch.

Last night and this morning, he was sitting on the bottom. He wouldn't respond to me. I did manage to get him to eat a little.

Tonight, he ate more. He is swimming around the tank and acknowledges me. I am absolutely shocked. You would never believe this is the same fish.

I am not going to pretend that he is not sick or that he probably doesn't have much time left. But for now, I am going to enjoy him.

The important thing is to not give up when you have a sick fish. I was almost ready to give up. Sometimes it is absolutely impossible to do anything to help them, but sometimes you can do something- even if it is for a brief period of time. And even when you think it is over, it may not be.

Just something to keep in mind. Keep the faith and keep trying.

Thank you! I have almost euthanized my new Ranchu as well but folks on this forum give me hopes. He is not feeling better but not worst either so that is good news :). Hopefully Gonzo will feel better in the future... I believe in Miracle!

Thank you all for your kind words and support. They mean a lot to me.

Well...Gonzo is still up and swimming. He is looking very good and has a great appetite. Actually, he is looking better than he has in months. I am just amazed at how well he is doing. Fingers crossed.

I am wondering if he has a supersensitivity to nitrates. When he became very ill, I started doing water changes in the morning and evening. I also have a low amount of salt in his tank.

Nitrates are the only thing I can think of and I never considered it before because I always try not to let them go higher than 10. When he was at his worst, the nitrates were 10. But, he is moving around so much better now and hasn't been floaty.

I guess I will just keep up with the water changes and see how he does.

F4ith- I hope you are able to help your fish. All you can do is to give it your best. I know it can be frustrating and scary. I was so stressed on Tuesday and Wednesday. And sad.

Again, thanks everyone. You all are great.