Whisker Shrimp!

Vee

So I went to the lfs in search of fry food, and ended up getting some whisker shrimp as well.

I originally wanted Bamboo shrimp, but they said the shop rarely got them in. I remembered another member telling me there was another species of shrimp that were acceptable to be kept with goldies and I asked someone in the store, and they suggested I try Whisker Shrimp. He said they were bigger than Bamboo shrimp, and as long as the goldies couldn't eat them I thought I might as well give it a try..

I just added them in, and the goldies (and the shrimp) seem a bit surprised to find they have new tank mates! :rofl

The lfs employee told me that they would get what the snails or fish didn't, and I should be okay as long as the goldies don't decide to try shrimp cocktails for dinner!

Anyone have any other information on Whisker Shrimp?

Edited by Vee

You do have to be careful with shrimp, you want filter-feeders in a fish tank I think, if they've not got the filtering fan-hands I would take them back (in the pics on google they don't). I've never even heard of them but I'm not a shrimp person!

Edited by devilduck

Oh, is that right..? :(

Maybe I should take them back..

Their hands are shaped like little v's almost.. They seem to be keeping to themselves.. -sigh-

Maybe I'll give them a week and see how things turn out..

Eh, even if they don't accept a "return" after 24 hours the store still accepts "donations." Since it was only $10 for 5 of them it's not too big of a deal.

Their claws don't seem like so big of a deal at the moment, they can barely pick up the debris at the bottom of the tank.. But if they're going to rip off tails then they've got to go..

• Admin

I have never had one, but man all the reading I did on them.. :o they are not nice shrimps... They can kill neon's, i dont think they could kill your goldfish, but it seems they could damage them :o

I'm not quite sure that they COULDN'T kill my goldfish!

I read one story that they ripped out the stomach of a black moor! :(

I know I have to keep them in the tank until I get my car back, but YEESH these guys put me on edge! :thud

For right now they don't seem to be doing any harm. Their little claws are just too small, but the thought of what they'd turn into.. :death

If I don't get my car within the next three days I'll ask my bf to take me to the lfs this weekend.. I'd put them in the 5g, but that's where my fry are..

Yeah..

If it comes down to an emergency I'll just put the shrimp in separate food bins. They won't be able to move, but they'll be away from the goldies if needed.

Vee, I'm a little unsure about this now, having just read a bunch of websites saying things like "Whisker shrimp grow to be a foot long!" and "Whisker shrimp ate my baby!!" but... I had two of them in with a very slow-moving, visually impaired goldfish, and they never even looked twice at her.

Well, until she got dropsy and stopped swimming, at which point they leaped on her like rabid hyenas and chewed the eyes right out of her head before I could get her out of the tank.

But prior to, they coexisted quite peacefully. ;)

Iii dunno. I still think I should take them back and purchase some bamboo shrimp instead, if anything..

As interesting as they are and seemingly peaceful I don't think I want to take a risk here. I like my fish with all their parts. :(

:rofl

They seem to function better that way. :tomuch:

And you hear all these horror stories about fish loosing eyes and tails and other bits and still living.. that must be horrible! :thud

Vee, I'm a little unsure about this now, having just read a bunch of websites saying things like "Whisker shrimp grow to be a foot long!" and "Whisker shrimp ate my baby!!" but... I had two of them in with a very slow-moving, visually impaired goldfish, and they never even looked twice at her.

Well, until she got dropsy and stopped swimming, at which point they leaped on her like rabid hyenas and chewed the eyes right out of her head before I could get her out of the tank.

But prior to, they coexisted quite peacefully. ;)

:rofl:rofl:rofl

im sorry about your fish minx but omg too funny how you discribed the whisker shrimp