Seeding With Gravel

AMeyers

So I have been nervous about seeding a new tank using aquarium gravel from one of my established tanks. In the past I have used it, but have grown skittish about using it recently, thinking it wouldn't work as well as rings or the like.

So, on Saturday, I got new fish for my freshwater tank. I have 10 Rasboras and 4 catfish in a 10 gallon quarantine tank. They are tiny, but are a load.

My tap tests zero for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, so I have that going for me.

I decided to try to seed my tank using only gravel from my cycled 55 gallon freshwater tank(I am also trying to change out that gravel, so that's what got me started). So, I put a very small handful of gravel in the filter along with the new floss, sponge and biomax.

Didn't get a chance to test yesterday, but just finished testing this evening.

Readings-

Ammonia-0

Nitrite-0

Nitrate-5

These readings appear to be no different than when I use rings, etc.

I know that some people only have one tank, but if you have another healthy tank to seed from, it makes it so easy. This is day 2 with only aquarium gravel. Love it.

Back to water changes! :D