My Baby Orandas

Lionchu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Four of them are in the pond now. The two babies have grown up too (greenish color one is one of the babies)

IMG_0347.jpg

Please click on picture to start video.

th_Pond600L.jpg

These 2 are still in their original tank, bigger one is male and the female is smaller due to her having to lay eggs once every 3 days since 2 months ago. Totally amazing laying eggs twice a week. Now they are about 7 1/2 months old but headgrowth are still lacking.

th_MVI_0727.jpg

wow busy girl! they are gorgeous.

how many times a day do you feed the large ones? I have some 25cm ryukins and I always wonder how many times a day is best to keep them healthy.

wow busy girl! they are gorgeous.

how many times a day do you feed the large ones? I have some 25cm ryukins and I always wonder how many times a day is best to keep them healthy.

To have a really good answer to that is difficult. If you look at most commercial food packaging, it says " feed several times a day (usually 2-4 times) and do not exceed the amount that your fish can finish in a few minutes". Sounds simple but in practice, it's a lot harder than that. When fed too much it can caused constipation and water quality problems and when under fed, fish looks stunted and won't grow to their potential. So I think it's more of an art than science when comes to fish grooming. You also have to take note of individual fish appetite and water temperature too. In my opinion, fish under 6 mths old should be fed heavily in small quantities each time (up to 10x per day with different food.) Most hobbyist use a auto pellet dispenser to achieve this and only feed FBW or gel food manually. You have to try an error on this.

For those 2 fish, I used to feed them 10x per day but now water temp is declining and have to scale back to about 4-5 times but like I've said before they are in breeding mode and are usually not very interested in their food when the chasing is in progress.

Your 25cm ryukins are consider adult fish, I won't risk feeding them too much especially those pellets. I would feed them once or twice a day with gel mixed food and once with pellets every 2-3 days and again very small quantities as adults ryukins are very proned to SBP. On the other hand if you are planning to groom your fish for breeding, that's a different story. You always have to try and error and make your own judgment. BTW where can I see your ryukins pics? I haven't been here for a while.

Cheers