How To Tell If An Egg Is Fertilized.

Vee

I've been turkey-bastering the bottom and I never seem to be able to suck up all the gunk without endangering the fish themselves. :(

Oh, and also, Koko. I'll be hitting you up with pictures of my fry in about 5 days for that award. ;) haha. I'd send pictures now but I noticed you mentioned them being at 1 week, so. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, got one of those too. The darn things just seem to think it's funny when I'm cleaning up to zip right on over to the tip of the syringe. :hmm

The same "debris" is on the bottom of my 50g, and it's impossible to get up, even with the hose. I'm thinking it's either dust from the terra cotta pots scraping the glass or dirt from the moss being ripped to shreds or even from a rock I've tied a plant to... I dunno what to do.. :thud

I haven't put any food in yet.. I'm not quite sure they're ready for food.

the remainder of the gunk on the bottom is like.. dust, the occasional eggshell. I've gotten some of the dead fry out, adjusted the sponge filter I have in. They seem to like hanging on it. :rofl

yeah..some of that gunk is shedding skins from the eggs disintegrating I think...so it's food......getting bad.. and needs out. Syringe is a good idea :).

Are you checking for ammonia hun?

How are your little guys doing today? :)

I checked the water the day before, but have been doing plenty of "small" water changes by "combing" the bottom of the floor in an attempt to pick up the dirt, followed by plenty of prime for the half filled 5g.

They seem to be fully swimming now, and I've attempted to start feeding them. I put some of the powder into the tank and will go clean it up here in a bit after they've had their chance at it.

The main tank has been on a big diet. It was so hard not to feed them for three days and watch the little ones attempt to eat. Thankfully they got their first peas tonight. :P

Thank you very much for checking in on me, Trinket. It is very kind of you. ^^;

You're welcome :D! We are all following your babies, I know koko is too.

First time you need support, I know I did. And you are doing just great!!:newfish:goodjob

:hug Thanks Trinket! :D

When will it be time to switch the babies over to a bigger tank? At last count there were like 11...or 20 of them. :rolleyes: They can't stay in that little tank forever..

I also can't wait to be able to actually see them eat their food. It makes me so nervous. I watch all my goldies to make sure they have their fair share, but I can't do that with the little ones. :rofl

On a sadder note, I had to cull one of the fry last night.. It's little back was U shaped, and it was a bottom scooter and didn't seem to be doing so well... :cry

• Admin

Yeah thats the heart breaker is letting some of them go :(

The last time I did it i didnt change there tanks till about 2-3 months old... about 1/2" is when I moved them.. :)

I may have cheated a little.. Tonight I put the goldies in a small bowl (very carefully, might I add) and gave their 5g a REALLY good cleaning. (aka a spray down with the showerhead)

Some of the tank gunk was just NOT coming up, and their sponge filter is doing NO good. It's really just a bright pink bubble maker. :rofl

I gave them plenty of Prime and a good bit of their old water. There's still a little bit of gunk, but at least I can see the glass on the floor now! :lol

I'm not quite sure all of them could fit in a 5g and still be comfortable at 1/2''.. When they start to get some size should I get a smaller 20g maybe and put them in there with the water half full? Where should I move them to when they're 1/2''? I am WAY in over my head with these fry. :thud:rofl

They seem to be doing REALLY well. I'm surprised there's so many of them! I thought I was only going to end up with a few, but there must be at least 30.. Or maybe I counted some of them twice. :lol

On another note I recently switched my goldies to their new 55g with a nice stand and a huge filter. While cleaning out some of the water in the old tank I found one of the shrimp I thought had died! :rofl I guess he's a zombie shrimp, rather than a whisker one. I put more water back in, as I think the tank was FINALLY starting to cycle, and I'm going to give it a go at finishing the cycle. If I can get it to I just might get more goldfish, or at least keep four of the babies. :D We'll see.

Sorry for rambling on. :D:heart

Maybe you should wait at least a few months before deciding how many to keep :). I know some members who have regretted culling because they ended up losing all the fry :(

Sadly with tank fry, there seem to be specific die-off times like 3 weeks, 4 weeks and 6 weeks. After that period the sturdiest should make it!! ;)

So I'd wait on that one. :D

You are awesome to have gotten the tank clean! I left them as koko did till they were quite a lot bigger than this. And keep on with the rambles so we know what's going on!!!!! :nana

I'll probably end up keeping a few of the babies (if I can get the tank to cycle and stay up and wait that long! :lol)

I know that at the most all I can keep are 4. That's all I have room for in my 50g. If I don't keep any I might get new fish... But you know me.. I'll probably fall in love with one.. or four.. or all of them. :rofl

I'm surprised that so many have made it so far. It sounds like a LOT of the fry had to be culled, but so far it's just been the one, all the ones that got sucked into the sponge filter before they were strong enough to swim away(That was a bad day.. there were like.. 5 of them) and all the eggs that didn't do so well.

I have WAY over 25, I'm betting.. They won't sit still to count. XD I'm so glad I got that tank clean. It's GREAT to be able to tell what's a fry and what's food. :rofl

• Admin

A 20 gallon tank would do them good later on hun.... And filling the tank only half way is good to.. but right now hun dont worry about the space... Its more of a challenge to keep the water clean right now then the size :)

The water doesn't seem all that bad to keep clean. Especially not after being able to complete last night's escapade. I've suctioned the bottom once today and everything seems pretty clean!

I think the ammonia in my tap water is going down too. It's higher in the big tank (which I just cleaned last night) but the baby's tank only has .25 ammonia, compared to the 1 or sometimes 2ppm I'll get from my tap. My big tank is starting to show small ammounts of Nitrite and Nitrate, too. So I think it's finally starting to cycle. :)

Of COURSE that can't be the tank my fish are in, though. :rofl They're all in a new 55g which was a pain and a half to clean. Saltwater tanks seem so.. yucky. :bath

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make a sponge filter that works? I've tried two ways (sticking an airstone directly into one sponge and sticking an airstone into a hair curler into a few stacked sponges.) The first method (which is the one I have now,) doesn't suck up anything, and the multi. sponge one was the one that killed off a few of the fry..

• Admin

Whats the name of the sponge filter.... See they arent supposed to clean the tank like a normal filter, they are suppose to get the very small particles and hold it in the sponge so it can keep the tank cycled :)

I made the filter! :rofl I figured if it could suck up baby fry it could suck up leftover particles of food.

Am I not feeding them right? The package says to feed six "pellets" but it's powder! How do you get pellets of powder?! :thud

• Admin

Oh... So you took a air stone and put it in a sponge?

If its powder I would take my thumb and just touch the powder with the pad part of your thumb, there should get enough on your finger and then just rub it with your other finger and it should put enough powder for them to eat that way :)

Yeah. I tried two different ways of putting it together and the bigger one had more suction power to it, but it was too much for my fry.:rofl

Hm! I never thought of that. I bought them algae wafers. I heard those were okay for them? It seems to be going well. I stuck one in and it makes plenty of powdery-algae stuff. :)

All but two of my fry have died.. I don't know what happened.. I was doing really well with the cleaning the bottom of the tank, adding new, freshly primed water... They were all just fine last night.. :cry

All the params seem normal (for my house, anyway. I have a 1ppm ammonia situation, but I thought that was taken care of by dosing with Prime..) :(

I'll keep going at it for the two that are left, but I don't have high hopes at this point..

Sorry to hear that! It seems like there are LOTS of variables for keeping fry alive. You gave it a good try and hopefully, the remaining two will survive.

take care,

Mj