How To Tell If An Egg Is Fertilized.

Vee

Before I've been told that an egg that is fertilized is clear and unfertilized ones turn white with mold.

However, I've just realized that telling the two apart is harder than I thought. :hmm

In my little 5g tank I have a sponge filter, a heater and a fluorescent light above the tank. And.. From what I can see, only a few of the eggs are clear as glass. Others look almost like frosted glass. Are the frosted ones the "white" I'm looking for? These legs were laid and fertilized earlier this morning (Around 7 or 8 am EST) and they've been in that tank, just chilling..

I'm scared that if I leave the eggs they'll all get "molded" if this is the mold I've been told will appear.. I don't have a magnifying glass, so I suppose that doesn't help either. :(

I'd try to get pictures, but the only camera I have won't capture the tiny eggs in the tank, just their reflections, which show up "white."

This is my first time attempting to breed my goldfish, so any help is greatly appreciated. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you planning on keeping the fry? Do you have any live baby food at all? Are you willing to cull them? It's a serious thing to think about. The white frosted glass kind are the unfertilized ones. What's the temperature in the tank?

congratulations Vee, now the fun begins.

here on this forum site are very detailed descriptions and directions on how to proceed.

A little note. Actually there are 3 eggs to watch. those which are "white" opac cloudy are no good. those yellow amber ones which by now (few hours depends upon temperature) have the cell division started and for a dark area and two eye spots are the good ones, the 3 rd group will remain clear amber color but will not develop for long time are no good.

If I have to cull them I imagine I'd probably put them in the freezer to "go to sleep" :(

The temperature on the "floating thermometer" which is suction cupped to the tank wall reads about 72' F and the sticker (which is warn and I don't truly trust) reads about 75' F

I have a heater in the tank meant for 2-15g tanks, and I think it's working.. The tank water in the large tank usually falls to around 68'f without a heater.

If I do keep the fry it would end up only being one or two fish, and I'd have to get another tank. I know of a great lfs that gladly accepts "donations," so either way, these fry will end up in a good place.

As for the eggs a good bit of them seem "cloudy," a small few of them seem glass clear, and the only thing amber colored in the tank are grains of moss that a few eggs are attached to. :hmm

The good thing is, that I've managed to get my dad to buy a magnifying lens and can now inspect the little buggers carefully.

I'm glad Koko's is full of such great information. :D

• Admin

This is someones thread on there babies... The pic on the eggs..these arent fertile one ones that would be are clear then in about 48 hours you should see a black dot in the middle. Those will be the ones that are good hun :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/41521-a-diary-of-raising-fry-w-photos/

So they should look like tiny glass orbs?

No "white dots" in the middle, no "white caps" on half of the egg?

If so I've got a lot of picking to do. :rofl

I imagine the best way to do so would be to suck up the infertile eggs into an oral syringe and flush them down the drain? Or maybe tweezers would help? :)

Edited by Vee

Oooh. So kind of "amber" like mikroll said. I'm starting to distinguish the clear and "amber" ones from the white and I'm gettin' the nasties out. :)

Thanks everyone. :heart

Thanks Shell! :)

If any of them turn into fry they should be very pretty. It's Orchid's eggs (orange oranda) with Oreo (previously panda, now blue, going to be white/orange oranda) and Rio (telescope black moor)

I can't wait. :P

May I also say that unless there is a 100% chance of knowing your eggs will hatch moss is a B_ _ _ _ of a plant to have in the tank when your fish are having a go at it. :thud

WOAH. Cool! I hope some of these guys make it. Right now I have about 50+ eggs, water is about 5'', temp is about 70-72 and all seems well. :D

It's been about 48 hours since I found the eggs, and still no one wants to be the first into the water. :P

They'll probably be out by the time I get home from school today. :D I'm so excited! :heart

Wonderful pic of eggs on a leaf and video of hatching!!!!

They may take a little longer Vee, another day? at that temp.. but often there is one intrepid "firstie" that manages to wriggle out and start to climb the tank side to fill his airsacs well ahead of the game so you have something to watch!!. I hope it happens soon for you, the waiting game is definitely nerve wrecking! :D

That is great you got a magnifying glass so you can watch them pushing themselves out of the egg case.

Did you get baby brine shrimp or brine shrimp? The baby brine shrimp are way smaller and best to feed. Some people hatch their own, apparantly that is not difficult.

As the eggs get ready to release the fry they harden up. Completely white all over (cant see anything inside) plus any you can see fuzzy hair all over (with that magnifying glass) I'd remove.:goodluck

Any updates??:bounce

They've started to hatch! A good bit of them have pushed themselves out of their eggs and wiggled to the top...

But then they just kind of fell back down. :(

They keep trying to get up and go back to the top, but sometimes they just wait at the bottom for a while.

I bought baby shrimp, but they're HUGE! They're even fatter than the fry themselves!

I'm still watching them for now, and I'll update when I can. :)

• Admin

Fry will not each much until there yoke sac is gone.. they feed off of this still its all used up... then you will need to feed them really small foods... egg yoke... powder pellets things like that.... You will need to make sure there water is nice and clean all the time... The first month is really important to there growth hun :)

As soon as all of them come out of the eggs I'm going to put them in a small tub while I clean out the 5g really well. I've been doing lots of small water changes paired with prime, and they seem to like it. They wiggle more when I add new water..

• Admin

If they are still hatching hun.. dont feed them any food... you will be able to see like a little pouch on there stomach area, this is there yoke they feed one... once this is gone they start to stay more at the top and middle. :) this is when they need food. :)

I know I don't need to feed them yet. :) I just was preparing for when I would. But them laying down on the bottom is okay, right? Or is something wrong?

Laying down a while is fine. It is quite normal! They are so tiny and not even able to swim yet.They are trying to get energy up to go up the sides.

Yes, as koko says wait to feed until they are swimming around :)

Oh and those water changes...very slow...as backs get bent easily so Im sure you are doing them very gently..

Soooooo exciting!!:D

They lay around for quite a while... If the water is stirred a bit (as in I'm adding water, scooping up gunk) some will get up, swim around like crazy and lay back down.

I went to a lfs and got "baby bites" as the third best thing that was recommended to me by the guy there. He even suggested live baby brine shrimp, but they were out.

At least I'll have SOMETHING to feed them! :)

I also ended up getting more Prime and some whisk shrimp for the big tank.. Darn fish stores.. I can never leave them with just the ONE item I came to get. :rofl

• Admin

When mine got to the point of swimming and eating.. I would use a turkey baster to get all the gunk out for them. This made it easier to do more water changes, since like Trinket said it can hurt there little backs...

This is so cool :)