Sign in to follow this  
us4298

Quietest Power Filter

I am finally going to replace my noisy clear-free internal filter, so I am wondering which power filter would be the best in a 5 gallon Betta tank and at the same time very quiet since the noise of my current filter annoys the heck out of my dad. I was thinking of either the Aqueon quiet flow filter or the Aqua clear 20 filter. Which would be quietest?

I have a couple of Aqua Clear 20s. I don't hear them at all.

I used one in a 5 gallon Betta tank and turned it down some. It was so quiet.

Don't know about the Aqueon.

i never had an issue with tetra whisper power filters

I think the aquaclear might be too much for a 5 gallon, especially for a betta. I have a really quiet tetra whisper in my room.

How so would the Aqua clear be too much? It it because of its current??

Yes, the current. We have a Top Fin 10 HOB on our 10 gallon betta tank. It does 80gph. With the tank filled almost all the way up so the water does not splash into the tank but more flows like a river into a lake, the current doesn't bother him.

Plus the filter is super quiet.

This is only from my experience, but the Aqua Clear worked fine in my 5 gallon Betta tank.

You can adjust the current. I adjusted it to the flow I desired. My Betta never had a problem.

Whispers are good, but you can't adjust the smaller model, or at least the smaller model I have.

I checked out the Whisper power filter on eBay and the 20 gallon filter goes for 21 dollars only. Many of you told me that this filter is extremely quiet and it made me wonder whether to choose this or the aqua clear. Would the Whispers current be too strong for my Betta? The filter is for a 20 gallon and my tank is only a 5.

The only thing I can tell you is that I think it would depend on your Betta. My Betta was not skittish and was not bothered by the filter flow, even when it was turned up.

I checked my Whisper 20's flow and compared it to the Aqua Clear. When the Aqua Clear is turned down, the flow is less powerful than the Whisper. It doesn't go down to a trickle, but you can definitely tell it is not as strong. When both are going full blast, the flow is pretty strong.

Did you get a Whisper 20? Turns out the small Whisper I have, I do not know what it is called, but it appears to be smaller than a Whisper 20. Maybe a 10. They have changed names/labelling on some models.

I do have a Whisper 20 that I verified and mine is adjustable.

So, if you did order it, you should be able to turn down the flow on that one as well.

I got the Whisper EX20 recently and it's VERY quiet...it took a few weeks to settle down, but now it's really living up to its name.

As far as I can tell, it's not adjustable, though. My older Whisper is adjustable, but not the new one.

good luck!

Smallest AquaClear would be ok. Flow is adjustable and current can be easily baffled (I used a curl of plastic soda bottle taped to top & curled under lip of outflow area). I have 3 AquaClears, all very quiet.

@ MJ- Whisper has a couple of different lines out there. They brought back the original filters, which made me happy. Just the simple Whisper 20, 30, etc. For that line,the 20 is adjustable. And quiet.

I haven't tried any of the other models, but it is good to know that your model is also quiet.

@ Red-Great idea!

The first picture. The 20 is adjustable, or at least my model is. Can't remember how long ago I bought it, but I wouldn't think they would change that.

Let me know what you decide. :D

I just went on ebay and asked the seller if the tetra whisper model has a flow control and he has confirmed it. The filter runs for around 20 dollars, so I think I am going to get it.

I almost forgot to ask if placing the filter intake next to my live plants will hurt them?

Aqua clears are more durable than whispers. The whisper 10 does have a flow control and does 90 gph. The top fin 10 is a whisper 10 and also does 90 gph. You will be much happier with an aqua clear. I just ordered the aqua clear 20 for my 5 gallon as my 3 day old aqua tech 5-15 just kicked the bucket. When the aqua clear is at the minimum flow it pumps 33 gph. When the top fin and whisper 10 are at minimum flow, they pump 45. You will be much happier with aqua clear. I used to be a whisper guy but once i used an aqua clear, i will never go back. Did i mention that aqua clear has a very hand lifetime warranty as compared to the crappy two year one with the whisper? The aqua clear allows you to add whatever media you want and however much you can fit. The aqua clear has on average 7 times more media factory than other power filters. Just use three sponges instead of the carbon and biomax and rinse it atleast once a month and you wont have to buy media for years upon years. Aqua clear ftw! Just a note: my betta loves the 100 gph flow from a filter on a 5 gallon. Yours probably will, too.

Edited by fishieperson321

Wow, thats a really convincing statement. I always felt that the aquaclears ability to allow you to personally change its media was a major plus.

Edited by US4298

Aqua clears almost never die. The fact that they sell custom fit media bags is a plus also. This will allow you to add catappa leaves to the filter, which are great for betta health.

Oh and i forgot to mention, all aqua clear power filters are on sale at www.petsolutions.com. That is where i ordered mine for 20 bucks