Sign in to follow this  
washingtongoldfish

"rice"?

Hi Stakos!

Wish, as a relatively, new member of Koko's .. . I knew the best way to contact you ... I saw your post on the "ongoing member" communications about "Rice"!! I have read the info posted on the Goldfish food area ... but somehow did not read anything about Rice! ... Rice! seems like such a great food for my big Common Goldfish that I have in my small ponds outside and also for my two big ones inside for the winter ... can you give me some instruction on this ... I really want to try it .... thanks

Tom

Rice generally isn't the best, along with other types of breads, etc. It's okay, but does not have any great nutritional value.

Some things you could try feeding are deshelled peas, pieces of steamed spinach, lettuce, carrots, etc.

Occasional snacks could be composed of pieces of oranges, lemons, etc. Fruits should not be given in large amounts as all the sugar isn't good for goldies.

You could also try making your own food from flavorless jello, baby food, tuna and vitamins. :)

Good luck!

PS. If you wish to contact a particular member in private there is the option to PM, though I'm not quite sure if that's available to you until you've made a set number of posts. Keep up the questions and comments on other's topics and you'll be there in no time. :)

Edited by Vee

Rice generally isn't the best, along with other types of breads, etc. It's okay, but does not have any great nutritional value.

Some things you could try feeding are deshelled peas, pieces of steamed spinach, lettuce, carrots, etc.

Occasional snacks could be composed of pieces of oranges, lemons, etc. Fruits should not be given in large amounts as all the sugar isn't good for goldies.

You could also try making your own food from flavorless jello, baby food, tuna and vitamins. :)

Good luck!

PS. If you wish to contact a particular member in private there is the option to PM, though I'm not quite sure if that's available to you until you've made a set number of posts. Keep up the questions and comments on other's topics and you'll be there in no time. :)

VEE!

Haven't heard from you before .. thanks for the info ..... sounds correct ... thought it would be a good thing to sort of fill them up but not do any harm ... I guess that is why

it wasn't mentioned in the "Food" section .... thanks for the responce ....

Tom

:D No prob, Tom!

Hope you're finding everything on the site well, and if not, just ask anyone and I'm sure they'll all offer some quick and speedy help. That's whats so great about the members here! Reliable info in a timely matter.

And, last but not least, :welcome!

thanks vee!..

Hiya Tom!! nice to see you making use of the forums!!.. welcome :hi

i do feed rice, but only from time to time.. not only is it not full of the other qualities our normal gel food is, but it can lead to constipation.. sometimes, i add it to the gelfood for kicks because they love it..

as long as you prepare it in tank water, ie, take some water from your tank/pond and boil that to cook the rice i don't see a problem.. i would feed it probably once per fortnight but that's about it.

PM's are available after you've made 100 posts on koko's ;) not hard to do in a place like this :)

good luck!

I guess the old saying " you learn somehting new everyday" is true. I have been around for two years and never heard anyone say you could feed them rice?!

Edited by j-pond

You can, but I bet fish with floaty issues would get even bigger issues from the starch. I don't even want to try it really.

No prob, Stakos. :D

You probably haven't heard anyone mention it because of it's lack of nutritious stuff.

Maybe I'll try feeding my goldies some rice when I have some extra around the house. :P

When I was a kid I gave scraps from my dinner to the fish, which was usually rice :) Nothing bad happened. Of course I don't do that anymore, but I still give them rice sometimes. They love it! I can't speak on behalf of fish with floating problems though.