Bad Light?

Pontosfan

After a long time of relative dormancey, I've reinstated my first fish tank to active duty. It houses, for the time being, my five dynamic danios who seem to be settling in just fine. That is until I turn on the tank's light and they start swimming around like crazy people... or fish. Crazy fish. They never had a problem with the light in their previous tank so I can only assume that the problem lies with this particular light. I would go out and buy a new tube, however, even after years of fish keeping all the tanks are still on their first tubes so I've never had to buy one before. Is there a specific kind I should be looking for?

I do not know what sort of light, but I do know that the flourescents lose their effeciency as they get older. Not sure how/why this would impact the fish (though it affects plants), but I believe the regular flourescents are recommended to be changed very 6-9 months or so, T5s every 9-18 months. The light does have something to do with fish vitamin D production, but as for why your fish are reacting so, could it just be the shock of the light coming on? Are they in a darker room than before? In any case, you probably should buy a new tube since I reckon that one you have is not working properly any more. Meaning, the light may look fine to us, but it is no longer delivering the spectrum lighting it is rated for. I use 6700 full spectrum bulbs in my tanks, but I'd check with your fish store to see what works best for your needs (do you have plants, etc.) and with the fixture you have.