Sign in to follow this  
waffles01

Expired Goldfish Food

So I have this can of "Hikari Multi-Vitamin Enriched Freeze Dried Tubifex Worms". Just fed some to the goldfish.....then I looked at the bottom of the can. "Best Before 2010 06" Do you think the goldies would be okay? Should I just chuck it?(It's pretty much full....seems like a waste)

They will be ok, but the older the food, the more of its nutritional value it loses. I'd toss it and get fresh stuff.

Since it's vitamin enriched, it can be quite dangerous to continue to feed it. Some vitamins and minerals actually turn noxious when they expire. It won't kill your fish, but it can make them sick.

I have fed old food for the last 10 years...(not the same one, don't worry!) and nothing went wrong. I only speak from experience. I tried giving them new food, but the fish got sick around the same time- coincidence? Maybe. When I switched back to the old food, they were better. Coincidence? again, maybe.

This is why I only buy enough food to last about 6 months at a time. Keeps it fresh :)

Since it's only 6 months old, I'd probably use it for a while. Although, it probably has lost some of its nutritional value. I hate to waste food of any kind.

mj

I awlays end up woth old food as I feed the pellets only a few times a week. Can one freeze half when a new bag is opened, I wonder, and then use the frozen half later, after the expiration date?

I too, only feed the pellets a few times a week, since I try to feed a wide variety of things. I keep the big bag of pellets in the freezer, and keep only enough on hand for a few weeks. I keep this supply in a dark colored jar (like vitamins come in) and keep one of those silicon pouches like you get in shoes in the jar as well. The theory is that light, air and moisture deplete the nutrients in the food, so if you minimize the light, air and moisture that gets to the food, that's better.

Even though I buy the smallest bag of food that I can, I'm sure it will last long past the recommended 4-6 months per bag, but I figure what I'm doing is the best I can do for now.

mj