Help With Bleaching A Tank Please!

lizz87

Hi guys, sorry I've been away a while. I'm in my final year of uni so things have been a little hectic.

My sole survivor goldie died just before Christmas unfortunately :( went the same way as Pumpkin - lost weight and died. I emptied and cleaned the whole tank and this week added a new fish. Unfortunately, it didn't seem right as soon as I put it in the tank so after 3 days I took it reluctantly back to the shop for a refund. So now I'm fishless again.

I read that its good to sterilize the tank in case any parasites were still in there, so I bleached the tank, filter and media, rocks and plant to 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and left for 10 minutes. I rinsed it for what seemed like ages, and all the media. But now I've got the tank back in my room, I've had a smell of it and it actually still smells like bleach. I thought I'd rinsed it really well? Now I'm worried I can't put fish in there. What can I do? Do I need to rinse it better? I kinda thought I already had!

Please help, I feel so down that this fish malarky isn't working out too well at the moment :(

Is there anything I can do to make the tank safe, preferably that won't take too long as I don't have a lot of time at the moment?

Thank you so much!

I'd go with another rinse, and wipe it down with a vinegar/water mixture until you can't smell the bleach OR vinegar and wash it down REALLY REALLY well.

It won't take you so long, just make sure you do it in a well ventilated area, as you don't want the smell of the bleach and vinegar to overwhelm you. :)

Thankyou! Forgot how amazing Koko's is. It was so sad to return a beautiful fish today. But I know I need to start from scratch with my tank now. I will rinse it all again and try to locate some vinegar, thanks :)

Ah great, now with all the lugging around of the tank I must have chipped a bit off the bottom corner. The sealant looks fine but a small piece has come off the outside of the corner of the tank. Argh! I hope it doesn't leak now...

I've rinsed it again, this time with a shower head. (I can just about fit it on my bath)

:) Make sure the water is as hot as you can stand to really get all that gunk out!

At least we know that if the seal didn't hold you can always go to the DIY topic and learn how to fix it yourself! :)

Was it the glass or the black trim?

It was the glass. Its a big clearseal tank. The sealant is on the inside if that makes sense.

Suppose I do need to re-seal it, what do I use?

• Admin

Can you get a pic ? I want to make sure it wont be a stress part to the tank. If they get stress points it cant crack, i had a tank crack right down the front of the tank :o

Can you get a pic ? I want to make sure it wont be a stress part to the tank. If they get stress points it cant crack, i had a tank crack right down the front of the tank :o

Unfortunately not, my camera's broken! Its right on the bottom corner, I may have knocked it on the door frame as I was moving the tank.

I keep like a sponge mat underneath to make sure it doesn't crack though, I hope its not too bad.

Have you put water in it since it got dinges? You might want to fill it half way and let it sit for a few hours to see if its going to leak :)

Yeah. I think I might do that tomorrow as its getting late now. Really hoping it won't leak!!

since you are fishless I would also do a fishless cycle so that you have the best chances to keep your new fish healthy :D

How do I do a fishless cycle? Never done it before! Thanks

There is fishless cycle link in my signature.

Sorry you have to start over...but hopefully you'll get rid of the mysterious fish killer this time.

Take Care,

Mj

Sorry about losing your fish Liz. I think a fishless cycle would be awesome too. Then you can be 100% sure you have done your best for a new fish and relax and enjoy him. Any disease that then shows up can be so much better treated in a cycled tank too.

Be very careful using hot water to disinfect. I dont know if you did but that can crack glass.

Otherwise the extra rinsing and wipe down with vinegar cloth sounded like a plan. You shouldn't smell the bleach although a very vague kind of whiff is acceptable.

Good luck with the sealant, I hope that's the only place and it can be fixed. Keep us posted! :heart

Thanks for coming Trinket!

The whiff is very vague now. I've looked on tonnes of websites, and some say that now I should be throwing all my rocks away cos they release the bleach back into the water. Is this true? They are biorb pebbles, quite shiny and smooth. They are currently soaking in dechlorinated water.

• Admin

If you soak them over night with some Prime or Amquel it will help take out the bleach too... you dont need to toss them you just need to soak and rinse them really well :)