Sign in to follow this  
xchairity_casex

Koi Treats For Goldies?

while shopping drs foster and smith catalog for goldie food i seen koi treats and was wondering if they would work as goldfish treats? of coarse they are a little large but i could break them in half. what do you guys think?

these are themfish treats

or i was thinking about these

fish treats

I think that fresh veggies or fruit would be better treats. All that pelleted/flake food is so processed that many of the nutrients are gone...this goes for people food as well!

Goldfish can eat almost all veggies as long as they are soft enough and small enough for them to eat...many people here feed steamed spinach, zuccini, and of course peas.

I often feed my fish a bit of whatever vegetable I am eating myself for dinner. Seems to be working out well.

Good luck~!

mj

I think that fresh veggies or fruit would be better treats. All that pelleted/flake food is so processed that many of the nutrients are gone...this goes for people food as well!

Goldfish can eat almost all veggies as long as they are soft enough and small enough for them to eat...many people here feed steamed spinach, zuccini, and of course peas.

I often feed my fish a bit of whatever vegetable I am eating myself for dinner. Seems to be working out well.

Good luck~!

mj

I agree with you fruit and vegetables are better! You could try brocolli it is very good for your fish.

They should be fine for the fish.

Is there evidence that pellets and flakes undergo a process that removes nutrients?

I'm not sure about the nutrients but I believe "fresh" food is better for them. I only feed the processed food occasionally anymore. But if your fish have no problems with processed food, I don't think there is anything wrong with feeding them koi treats from time to time.

well i do feed romaine lettuce dandelion greens,,red leafed lettuce,spinich,broccoli,peas,carrot and some red bell pepper but wanted somthing else just some variety something i could really hand feed and most fruits ive tried are super messy and somedays i just dont have the time to go picking thru the tank especielly when im working i go downstairs for a quick feed and go.

I was curious about feeding my singletails koi food, but when I looked at the ingredients I found that corn was either the first or second ingredient, It was like corn flake meal or something like that. I have never seen corn as a main ingredient in goldfish food, so I don't know if koi food is ok.

Edited by Jeff Spicoli

Corn is used as a filler for fish, cats and dogs... i know that to much isnt good for any of them. :o