Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike and Linda

Goldfish And Kale

Guest Mike and Linda

I give my goldies Kale and they love it but my question is. Is there such a thing as feeding to much kale? I give mine Kale several times a day but they never stop eating it. Everytime I put kale on the clip they devour it. They don't even give me time to get the clip in the tank. Is it ok to feed Kale daily? I try and put some on the clip about every 3 or 4 hours.

It is ok to feed it daily, as long as they are getting other things to eat, too. Eating only one type of food with be bad for them in the long run. Variety is the key to healthy goldfish.

Also, feeding every 3-4 hours (no matter the food) is too much. Unless your fish are very young fry they do not need to be fed that often. Usually two or three small meals throughout the day is fine. But make sure to feed them variety to keep them healthy.

Its so funny that so many people have goldies that looooove kale. My guys could care less about it but they love cucumber.

Well, meals every 3 to 4 hours is not necessarily too much. It is just that this will produce much more waste and can screw up your water params. I like feeding mine four times on days I'm at home, just small meals of course. When I work all day long it is usually only two meals.

Anyway, as mentioned before, if you feed ONLY kale your fish will soon have problems from the lack of nutrients as protein. I feed kale to mine occasionally, but they are not majorly crazy about it. They prefer spinach, cucumber and zucchini.

Guest Mike and Linda

I don't only feed them kale. I feed a variety of food. Like gel,blood worms, shrimp, kale, zuchinni. I just wanted to know can I feed them kale between meals? I usually feed them in the morning and evening and kale inbetween meals that's all.

Guest Mike and Linda

I feed regular food in the morning and evening. I give them the Kale between morning and eve. I give them about 3 clips worth between that time maybe 3 or 4 leaves.