Needs Tlc, Bottom Sitting And Swimming Issues

ParadiseLost

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank? nothing

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? shredded tail fins

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom sitting, can't swim properly, shredded tail fins, breathing heavily I suppose

There's no point in answering the top questions as this fish's illness has nothing to do with my tank. I got him this way. I've had him for about an hour now, and he has been in a quarantine tub and I just put a towel over it because he looked a bit stressed out. The filter I have in there is from my main tank so it is cycled :) and it's not on a hugely strong current.

Basically I think he has mainly a swim bladder issue. How do I tackle this? Right now I intend on giving him one or two days of just clean fresh water without any treatments, then I need to think about what to give to help this situation.

Cheers :)

• Supporter

i don't mean to alarm you as the photo is not really clear.. but are his scales slightly raised? i see a jaggered bodyline rather than a nice flat scales to the body..

perhaps it's just the picture?

i don't mean to alarm you as the photo is not really clear.. but are his scales slightly raised? i see a jaggered bodyline rather than a nice flat scales to the body..

perhaps it's just the picture?

I had a good look at him just now and actually the little jagged white bits and little tiny bubbles on his scales, not sticking out scales :)

phew :) other than that, i couldn't see anything else.. are you prazi'ing the qt? that might be wise.

No, I do have some Prazi though but I think he's quite stressed out so maybe if there isn't improvement in maybe two or three days start treating then?

• Supporter

sounds like a plan.. the only thing that bothered me about the salting is that you didn't post params for ammonia etc... i read on other threads that if you salt in a tank that has ammonia, it may shock and kill the fish as salt enhances the effects of ammonia.. so, does the tank where you're keeping him have a cycled filter? if it does, i read salt at .1% with prazi is ok.. if the filter is not cycled, then i would advise against salt until a mod visits this thread and advises otherwise.

sounds like a plan.. the only thing that bothered me about the salting is that you didn't post params for ammonia etc... i read on other threads that if you salt in a tank that has ammonia, it may shock and kill the fish as salt enhances the effects of ammonia.. so, does the tank where you're keeping him have a cycled filter? if it does, i read salt at .1% with prazi is ok.. if the filter is not cycled, then i would advise against salt until a mod visits this thread and advises otherwise.

Yeah I said in my very first post the filter in the QT is from my main tank so everything is cycled :) thanks!

• Supporter

Yeah I said in my very first post the filter in the QT is from my main tank so everything is cycled :) thanks!

sorry hun :doh11: it's 3:30am here in the land of Oz, and i'm just about expired for the evening.. :crazy:

no probs stakos, you are just trying to help.

Congrats on your rescue GC! What were the conditions like at the store? Did you see any fish in the same tank that were sick and if so what symptoms did they have like head standing/bot sitting/red marks etc..anything?

Personally I would feed this fish. Fish are often malnourished from petstores and good quality food helps them regain immune strength. Sometimes petstore food is old and it is very often low quality flake stuff too (both factors makes fish floaty).

I would feed krill, brine shrimp.. peas.

Keep the water lowish and add salt to 0.1% to start.

Aw the photo isn't loading for me, and I so wanted to see your new rescue too! It must just be my computer though, because Helen could see it. I don't really have any advice to add, but I just wanted to wish you good luck! :goodluck This little fishie is in great hands!

Aw the photo isn't loading for me, and I so wanted to see your new rescue too! It must just be my computer though, because Helen could see it. I don't really have any advice to add, but I just wanted to wish you good luck! :goodluck This little fishie is in great hands!

I've put it on Twitpic if you want to see if that works: http://twitpic.com/3vho2p

Um the fish shop is an independent shop so it's pretty good quality and none of the other fish were sick. The only things is they have like 10% goldfish and 90% marine and tropical, so you can tell goldies aren't their speciality. But they are usually in good condition. Alright well all I can give it is sinking pellets so I guess I'll try one or two and see how they go down :)

I've put it on Twitpic if you want to see if that works: http://twitpic.com/3vho2p

Um the fish shop is an independent shop so it's pretty good quality and none of the other fish were sick. The only things is they have like 10% goldfish and 90% marine and tropical, so you can tell goldies aren't their speciality. But they are usually in good condition. Alright well all I can give it is sinking pellets so I guess I'll try one or two and see how they go down :)

Quick note before I go to bed. Tried to feed but not interested in sinking pellets and just spat them out. Tried to hand feed but not familiar with hands and tried to swim away or wouldn't take food. Tried bloodworms but is not showing any interest. Will see in the morning if any of the food has gone!

• Supporter

it will take some time before he realizes that he's fallen into loving hands.. don't worry, most rescues start like this.. if the food is not eaten overnight. indeed, there are other methods.. let us know and we'll bombard you with "options" LOL..

night hun..

What a pretty fish! I hope the little mite will be better tomorrow (fingers crossed) :)

Quick little update: though seeming a bit more perky, basically sicky fish is still sitting on the bottom of the tank doing hardly anything. Didn't eat any food so far as I can tell so I'll try him with some now. I guess it's a bonus nothing has gotten worse, think this may be slow progress.

Its good to hear that nothing has gotten worse :) Did you try garlic in the food at all?

Yeah and I had my hand in the QT just now and he was wiggling around loads more than before (in fear of my hand :P) so far I have tried bloodworms, hikari pellets soaked, sinking pellets and peas and he eats them then spits them out two minutes later! Also I have to hold it literally in front of his mouth or he wont recognise food. Arghhhh. How do I do the garlic food?

Edited by Goldfish Carer

I am not too sure if the spitting is because of taste reasons or flukes for example. I never had a healthy fish be 'picky' about food. In my experience you can feed them just about anything and they will eat it!

Maybe you should already start the prazi? I heard of fish spitting if they have heavy fluke infestations.