Qt Water Changes?

Kerstin

Hi there,

so I have my new fish, 7 inch (I think maybe bigger)long common in my 18 G qt tub. In the shop the fish looked much smaller... I put old filter media and gravel from my cycled tank in with her.

By this evening I already had 0.25 ammonia. Do you guys think 50 % water changes a day will be enough? She gets pretty stressed when I do water changes, but I'm sure she'll get used to it. (just did a 50%)

Hoping to get the pond finished this week so she can go in there next week. Should I still get her a bigger tub? They are pretty hard to find for some reason...

Should I still put salt or make sure I have the ammonia under control first?

Keep testing the water and adjust your water changes so that you keep the ammonia very low. It may take more water changes. It may take less.

If you have media from you old tank, that should help a lot.

I won't add salt if I have ammonia readings. If there isn't something specific you need the salt for, I would just keep the water as pristine as possible.

If you are only talking a very brief time, you can get away with the 18 gal.

I'd get a bottle of nutrafin cycle and add some to the QT tub to help the BBs catch up with the fish's ammonia.

Since it also is only for a couple weeks, you can feed only sparsely so the fish won't poop up a storm. Like only half of what you would usually feed. The fish will be fine, I remember Hidr telling me she didn't feed her fish at all for one or two weeks when they didn't have water and she couldn't do water changes, and the fish were completely fine.

But feeding less for those two weeks will definitely reduce the amount of waste/ammonia. :)

0.25 ammonia. Do you guys think 50 % water changes a day will be enough?

changing only 50% will only reduce it by 1/2 and that still leaves you with a toxic not acceptable condition. any ammonia is too much.

Thanks for all you advise. Changed another 50% this morning. She's pooping like crazy even without being fed. Maybe she was constipated in the shop? The guy there said that she was about to lay eggs. That has not happened yet. Hope she is ok...

Kerstin, plastic Sterilite tubs can be found at your local nnnnnn (and elsewhere I'm sure), and they range from 20-45+ gallons. These would be great to use as QT. I believe quite a few people on this forum use them. Congrats on your new fish :)

Kerstin, plastic Sterilite tubs can be found at your local nnnnnn (and elsewhere I'm sure), and they range from 20-45+ gallons. These would be great to use as QT. I believe quite a few people on this forum use them. Congrats on your new fish :)

At our local Lowes they only go up to 18 gallons. Target sells the Sterilite but when I used that for a QT the last time it bowed out so much that it got me worried. This Rubbermaid one seems to be so much more stable.

I know what you mean about the Sterilites bowing out. Mine does it too, and I freaked out when I first set it up. However, it's been a while now and it's doing pretty well.

I know what you mean about the Sterilites bowing out. Mine does it too, and I freaked out when I first set it up. However, it's been a while now and it's doing pretty well.

How many gallons is it?

How many gallons is it?

105 qt ~ 26 gallons. I got it for 7 bucks. :)

I think I'll have to do twice daily 70% changes at this point. And I'll keep adding the Nutrafin cycle. Wish I knew if she was healthy, then I could just put her in my 55G tank for a bit, but I don't want to get my other two sick with anything...

Yeah, maybe better try to get a larger tub. No food or almost no food at all for now. Maybe just a couple peas in case she is constipated. :)

I tried the peas, but she wont eat them. She does not want any food right now for some reason... Probably I'll look for a larger tub.

Also, may be you should keep the tank covered for most of the day to get her acclimated. I have a crown pearlscale in my QT right now, and for the first few days in QT, he was not a very happy camper (bottom sitting, not eating much). I just made sure to do water changes daily and keep the water as clean as I possibly can. Now, a month later, he is as happy as can be. Of course, he will be having an extra long stay in QT - I want to monitor him a sometime still, and I've decided the tub is a good place to be in any case. The QT is cycled.

Also, may be you should keep the tank covered for most of the day to get her acclimated. I have a crown pearlscale in my QT right now, and for the first few days in QT, he was not a very happy camper (bottom sitting, not eating much). I just made sure to do water changes daily and keep the water as clean as I possibly can. Now, a month later, he is as happy as can be. Of course, he will be having an extra long stay in QT - I want to monitor him a sometime still, and I've decided the tub is a good place to be in any case. The QT is cycled.

Maybe I should try to cover it. Our house is like a Zoo. ;)