Sign in to follow this  
amcjau

New Here, Thank You Everyone

hi everyone i'm new here, i've had fish for past 20 years or so, goldfish last 10 years or so

i thought i was doing everything right, nice size tank, good location, meals twice a day, 4 week water changes, aeration, bio filter, lighting

i'd lose a goldfish every 1-2 years, wasn't sure why, started not swimming right then would die

couple months ago one gold fish i had the past year started not swimming good, bulging side, i softened pellets before feeding

then i started reading here, found out they were probably getting impacted from the pellets

based on what i read here i got flake food, smaller pellets, scrambled egg, peas and now my sick fishy is still a little bulging but swims, eats and acts like its old self, thank you to everyone for helping me save my goldfish, from all your posts

i now have 8 different foods that i'm rotating daily for them for variety

i also read goldfish can live quite a long time with proper care, i look forward to it

CHEERS!

:welcome Wow it's great that you saved your fish by following the advice you found here. :) I hope you'll post some pics of your fish, we would love to meet them too. ;)

Welcome! Its good to hear that your goldfish is doing better. Fasting also helps with fish that are constipated ;)

welcome! I have learned a lot about GF food from this forum, too.

Now Fluffy gets a bit of what ever veggie I'm eating for dinner, along with his soaked pellets for breakfast. We've come a long way from the flakes!

:angelstaf:

Edited by mjbubbles

Welcome to Koko's!

Which variant of goldfish do you have? If it's one of the round bodied fancies, I would suggest ditching the flakes. It will add to their floaty issues.

What brand of pellets did you use? Try adding fresh foods such as vegetables, shrimps and gel foods in their diet. Boiled egg whites also work. By scrambled eggs, you mean both egg yolk and egg whites? As long as they don't have oil, it'll work fine.

Hello and welcome to Koko's! I can only agree with Lupin, since I started feeding my fish with stuff like he listed just now (minus pellets/flakes) none of them has any buoyancy issues anymore.

Great to hear a success story, feel free to post around here and definitely let us see photos of your fish :)

hi everyone, thank you for welcoming me, i'll try to get pics soon

they're a couple goldfish, a spotted one, white one and i think shubunkin, maybe after i post some pics we'll know better

no oil with egg, i'll try to post their foods later, i got variety of foods, looked for labels that said nutritious

i also have foam filter, charcoal sock, partial water changes every 3 weeks, power head for aeration

WELCOME!

Most people change aquarium water weekly :angelstaf: I see you only do partial changes every 3 weeks.

thwelcometrainf.gifI find I learn something new here daily. Hop right on in and join in the fun!

:welcome

The members here are very helpful! I've learned a lot and always enjoy looking at pics of people's goldfish (hint hint ;) )

Welcome!

I notice that you mention twice that you are only doing water changes every 3 or 4 weeks. I think that'll cause you problems, especially over the long haul. If you've got an API Master Water Test Kit do some tests of the water every few days and see what your ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte levels look like. You might find the nitrAtes are getting really high after about 7-10 days. Over 20ppm on the nitrAtes is probably not a good thing, long term.

We've got a food ingredients thread stickied up top in case you want to see what's in certain foods. Might help you choose a food that's right for you and your fish.

I actually feed my 3 single tails spirulina flake food, and I soak it for a few seconds first. It sinks immediately and they feed hard like sharks. I also feed limes, lemons, oranges, cucumber, avocado, pineapple, and garlic. I never fast them, and it's rare that I give them pees....although I have.

Looking forward to seeing some photos, and great job getting your fish healthy!

@austinado16 we have well water which is softened weekly, i'll see about a water test kit

trying to post pictures, here goes, they swim about so fast not sure how to get better close ups, did i post this ok?

the tank

50 gallon, powerhead aeration upper left, top right aquaclear 500 foam sponge, charcoal sock, one 'natural' light on the right

IMG_4868-cropped.jpg

the food

if the food is something i shouldn't use we live by a pond i can get other better food, i soak everything a few minutes

IMG_4866-cropped.jpg

the gang 1

everyone is about 3-4 inches

IMG_4865-cropped.jpg

the gang 2

large orangish looking one top of this photo had the bulge and is doing better,

orangier one has some white from under its mouth and along its under side,

store said the middle one with some black was shubunkin,

not sure about lower left or lower right ones

IMG_4864-cropped.jpg

Couple suggestions looking at the tank set up.

Generally, it's best to have the tank top mostly open to allow the best gas exchange at the surface of the water. That'll really promote the CO2 and O2 exchange. It's a big deal for healthy goldfish.

IMO, in a tank as large and deep as yours, you're ready for a cannister filter.....and a big one at that. But at a minimum, IMO, you should extend all of the pickup tubes so that they are sucking from the bottom of the tank. Doing so promotes circulation of the more oxygenated water at the top, with the more oxygen depleated water at the bottom. If you keep the water stirred up, you get even oxygen distribution, top-to-bottom.....again, a big deal for goldfish. I have the same size tank, but in 70 gallon, so it's a few inches deeper front-to-back. I've got a Fluval 405 cannister with spray bar, and a Rio400 pond pump in the corner that's furthest from the Fluval's pickup tube. I used a section of a Fluval pickup tube to extend the intake on the Rio, so that's sucking off the lower 1/3 of the tank, and making a nice mound of aggitated water about 1/4-3/8" above the surface. I also have a 46" long bubble stick burried under the gravel at the back of the tank.

Looks like some nice fish, and all single tails.....my favorite!! The trouble is, single tails kinda need about 20 gallons each, and you've got only enough room for about 3 of them, instead of 5. That overcrowding, especially considering the long duration between your water changes, and the small filtration and bio media you have, is going to cause health issues and dirty/hazy water. Goldfish are just constant waste producers, both in their poop and what they excrete from their gills. They require huge amounts of filtration and water turn over.......and IMO, huge amounts of bio media. As an example, with all of my filtration and 3 pounds of bio media, after only 10 days my nitrate levels are hovering right around 20ppm. I can't imagine what yours are after 3 to 4 weeks, with 2 more fish than me and much less in the way of filtration, circulation, exposure to air, etc.

All this is just my opinion of course, and I'm no expert by any means.