Sign in to follow this  
flutterbudget

They Love It

I made gel food a few days ago. And the fishies LOVE it. More exciting is that Floyd has not been floaty at all! But I put some garlic in it, and now the water reeks of garlic. At first, it was not that bad. But it is NOT growing on me. I'm doing a water change today to see if that helps, but yowza. :wacko:

What kind of garlic do you guys use? Fresh or powder, or...? I use A LOT of garlic in mine. Like three big cloves but I don't smell it in the water. Only the fridge if I don't seal the ziploc bag right.

I wonder if your filters suck up some of the gel food and THAT is where the smell comes from? I turn mine off during the feeding (with only one of the two tank lights on as reminder that the filters are off) and wait until all the food is eliminated by the fish. :unsure:

yes ive seen the gel food stuck to the side of the filter and shadow hovering about sucking on the filter intake as its internal filters .

i put in frozen defrosted grushed garlic cube.

I get the Miced stuff and use that... If the water smells after wards. Do a water change and add Carbon to your filter for a day or two. :)

I have a little glass jar of that minced garlic that comes in water. They love it straight from the jar.....is that wrong? I usually follow that up with a couple slices of lime or lemon clipped to the side of the tank.

Thats like my stuff hun... comes in a jar with some water/oil... I just take a teaspoon of it and mix it with my gel food :)

I dont think i have ever tried to feed them straight from the jar though :o

I did read that you can feed them garlic pure and they like it a lot. I haven't tried doing that yet, but I might. I'd probably just crush a garlic clove myself then.

Mmmmhhh pure garlic.... :ehh

Okay, just for Sunday kicks, I fed them a bunch of the minced garlic, and included a bunch of avocado. I just placed all of into a spoon and swished that into the water.

Good grief, what a feeding frenzy! And I'm laughing because right now the water does smell like an Italian Ristorante. Too funny.

Good grief, what a feeding frenzy! And I'm laughing because right now the water does smell like an Italian Ristorante. Too funny.

Don't forget some fresh basil to really up the ante! ;)