Sterilize Equipment?

jody

I am not a scientist or anything and this is why I ask these sorts of questions. I many times have used filters, bubble wands, aquariums, and things of that sort from past setups with different fish. Like for example say I had a filter that was used with some sick fish and then was rinsed well and put away for a few months, then I added it to a new setup. Does this need to be sterilized? I mean is just a rinse good enough? Yes I am sure many of you sterilize everything to be sure but what I am getting at is how long can bacteria that causes fish illness live on this stuff? Can something live on a piece of glass or plastic for months on end. Kind of wondering as I have a big box full of old equipment I dig into from time to time.

I would say a rinse to get surface dust off is ok. I figure if it's been dry for a longish period of time, it will be ok. But then I haven't had the horrible experiences that others on here have had with diseases sneaking in.

mj

I'm a person who just rinses it if it's been sitting for a long time. I don't think any aquatic organisms can live dry like that for so long. If anything I'd do a hot water rinse. But anytime I take something from a different tank I give it a bleach bath.

Some parasite eggs can live dry. They have a protective egg casing that prevents them from drying out, so once they are replaced into the water, they hatch. I would always, always sterilize all equipment used with sick fish of any illness.

I will most likely give things a rinse in diluted bleach now seeing that eggs can live dry. I heard that some parisites may not affect some fish but for another it may, given that I would assume to sterilize even if the fish were not showing symptoms.

I wonder how long they live dry. Sounds like some sort of super organism from a movie, can't think of one now.

Edited by Hawaiian Crush