Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Boiled Egg Whites

Boiled an egg to use the yolk as improvised baby ghost shrimp food and don't want the egg white to go to waste. I'd think it's fine but want to make sure.

how beneficial is the egg white to feed lupin?

I must try that one of these days. Can I give some of the yolk also?

The yolk makes quite a mess :o

It really messed up my water params when I fed that to fry.

The white is fine! High protein, low fat and very easy to digest :)

Tanks :D

I will buy egg today so I can try it tommorow.

I fed it to the goldis last night, just plucked some little junks of with my finger nail, and they all loved it. I think I will do this more often as cheap protein source.

The one egg will also last for a while in a small air tight container. I used the plastic cups of the baby food that I used for the gel food and they have the PERFECT size for one hard boiled egg :D

I also like how the egg white is not messy at all, unlike the daphnia I bought the other day :wacko: I have to turn the filters off while feeding that stuff.

The yolk makes quite a mess :o

It really messed up my water params when I fed that to fry.

She's right. ^^^ My goldfish can gobble bite sized egg whites. Yum yum... Feed every other day if you want.

The only time I feed yolk is when I had fry :)

Cracks me up how the subject of a certain food will come up and then we'll all run and try it out right away.....myself included! What is it about goldfish, "Hey, they eat everything else, I wonder if they'll eat this?"

Hahahaa...I love it.

Cracks me up how the subject of a certain food will come up and then we'll all run and try it out right away.....myself included! What is it about goldfish, "Hey, they eat everything else, I wonder if they'll eat this?"

Hahahaa...I love it.

:rofl true!

But I just like giving them lots of different stuff. I can't tell you guys often enough how Vanille's buoyancy issues improved are gone since I cut out commercial processed goldfish food and feed only pure things like veggies, gel food, frozen food, egg whites, fruits... And they all fattened up and grew within the last couple weeks, it is CRAZY.

They all look NOTHING like in my signature pics anymore, and those photos are only about 1 month old!

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

That's interesting to hear about the improvement since no more commercial foods. I really don't want to take in "making" food, but I swear, I'm headed that way myself. Not that I'm having any issues, it's that I just don't trust what's in the food.....just like I don't trust what's in our dog food, and our own people food, and I'm always striving to get all of us (pets and people) better foods.

Okay, now I want to go root around in the fridge and see what else they'll eat. Mmm....wonder if they'd like a sandwich?

Okay, so I just cooked an egg in one of my vintage cast iron pans.....no oil or butter, just dropped it in and let it go on low heat until the egg white was nice. Picked out a section of it, chopped into various sizes and started dropping it into the tank.

Cracks me up how intelligent goldfish are....they'd never seen anything pure white as food, so didn't recognize it as a food item at first. But our big (oldest) Comet got with the program right away. Bam...... And then of course the other 2 were all over it. They love it and spend a bunch of time chewing on it, which just cracks me up.

These silly fish are just too much fun.

Mine did the same thing, at first they didn't recognize it as food, but as soon as the first one did, they all were all over it. They definitely LOVE cooked egg whites.

I too don't trust all that extra stuff in food. Too much unnecessary crap in there. I still don't get why there is SALT in chocolate milk. I mean, really??

More eggs for breakfast this morning. They're starting to eat more and more like us all the time. Meanwhile, I have 2 Queensland Heelers looking at me and saying, "What happened to the rule of; no people food.....and why do those stupid orange things eat better than us?"

I've got some 'splaining to do.......

More eggs for breakfast this morning. They're starting to eat more and more like us all the time. Meanwhile, I have 2 Queensland Heelers looking at me and saying, "What happened to the rule of; no people food.....and why do those stupid orange things eat better than us?"

Awesome! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Edited by Lupin

I agree with switching over to pure food. so sad that nobody out there is making like 'organic fish food' - dog food you can find awesome stuff now thankfully!

Understandable ;)

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Edited by Quasi

well, egg whites are good for dogs too! I let mine have some as treat occasionally :D

I agree with switching over to pure food. so sad that nobody out there is making like 'organic fish food' - dog food you can find awesome stuff now thankfully!

Don't get me started on dog foods. Unbelievable what's in even the "better" foods. I'm continually trying to learn more about the incredients and find better food. In fact, while looking up info on ethoxyquin the other day for the food ingredients thread I started, I did some reading on a dog food forum and wound up ordering sample bags of a product made in Canada, "Orijen" by Champion Foods. Found a supplier in Sacramento, Cal. and it shipped yesterday. Should have it tomorrow.

Here's a good dog food site:

http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/best-dog-foods-ranked.html

Edited by austinado16