Peepers Is Sick Again

jody

Here is how he looks today:

HPIM2110.jpg

The picture is blurry and distorted (it is so hard to get a good picture) but it kind of shows how things are. The fungus is mostly gone on his head and it looks like a little wen on his head. There is still some fungus on his fins. How long am I to salt the tank? Until no more signs of fungus and then some?

Glad its not Hole in the Head.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for checking in with me helen :)

He is doing much better. The fungus on his head is gone. I salted .3% for 10 days and then cut it to .2% for 4 days. I am thinking of salting at .2% for a little while longer to be sure, but I might just remove it today with my wc. He still has white markings on his tail, I don't think it is fungus as it should be gone by now. The MM ends today as it has been 14 days and I will use Jumpstart for a while now. I'll get a photo of his tail later after my wc.

oh great news! you can take down the salt to 0.1 and just let him catch up and recover with the jump start. the salt should help him fight any mild things that would attack a still weak fish :)

• 2 weeks later...

His tail is not getting any better, actually kind of worse. Its not really like something on the surface of the tail but like the tail itself is white on that edge.

Salt history: .3% for 10 days, .2% for 4 days and now .1% for the past 11 days.

The discoloration has been there for about two months. Any help would be great :)

tail2.jpg

tail3.jpg

I am not sure what this is. The salt doesn't seem to help and I tried Pimafix before that.

Jumpstart is good, probiotics.

What about your filters? I don't know what you have, I know your tank is pristene always and your water is always good but filter pipes? Filter parts? Is there anywhere something like old food is decaying or mold is growing? I have seen this on my fish and ripped tanks apart trying to find the culprit.

It is definitely something (these bacterial columns) that a strong immune response will get the better off more efficiently than random antibiotics imo. The Jumpstart should help build up his immune response and I would alternate some fresh foods with that for fresh vit C.

Filters and intakes are spotless, I scrub once a month. The only place I can think of would be the airstone I have tucked in the corner. Or could be the marbles and rocks I have on the bottom, they have lots or brown and green stuff growing on them. Fresh foods as in fruits and veggies right? Thanks :)

edit : also the media bags I use are kind of old, I scrub them though.

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

It must be the marbles and rocks with the algae on them that is causing the bacteria. Do you think? They have been in the tank for two years and have never been scrubbed off. They mostly have brown stuff on them but there is a little green as well. Do you think it is mold? I thought it was just green algae.

I had a fish get those! It was after a sickness I think. Healthy fish don't usually get those. It helped wiping down the floor very well every few days. It healed pretty quick after that. You could probably take the salt out as it has been in for some time.

I think it could be some dirt between the beads or something. Do you have many? Otherwise you could even take them out and give them a super quick boil

• 2 weeks later...

I took the glass beads out of the tank and when they dried out they sure stunk, I assume they were harboring some bacteria. His tail is healing pretty good. He seems to spend quite a bit of time on the surface gulping the surface after feeding. I worry as this was the behavior before he got sick before. I just hope one of his organs is not being attacked. I am starting to cut back on the Jumpstart because that seems to make him floaty more than the gel food and such. I feed him oranges about three times a week. Not sure what else has good vitamin C, kiwis I hear, broccoli?

My guys surface gulp after feeding too. I think they still taste the food at the surface.

Broccoli makes floaty fish float because of how gassy it is. I'm not sure that oranges 3x a week is good either, since it has lots of sugar.

I didn't read through the entire thread but is his gill plate looks curled in the pic. Is it always like that or is it just the pic?

Eta: spinach and cucumbers are a good source of vitamin c. My guys looove cucumber.

The gulping at the surface is beyond the normal amount that I have observed in the past. The only chance I get to see the behavior after feeding is not very often, as I work a weird shift so he usually gets fed on the way to work or before his bed. At night I get to see a little of what goes on. He usually gulps for a few hours and then floats for hours. I slept on the couch last night and woke 5 hours after his feeding. He was still floaty but not gulping. By morning he is usually fine but I am noticing a little bottom sitting lately in the morning, he might be sleeping but he is usually pretty active at that time. Last nights feeding was three jumpstart pellets.

He could be sensitive after the round of Jumpstart as it is a pellet and can stop him up. I am mixing it up again with the gel food, peas. I am worried because I saw white poop about a week ago for a few days. I am scared something internal again.

The gill plate has always been curled on both sides.

There is some spinach in his gel food, I'll have to try some cucumber.

Just want to add that kiwi is great (lots of vit.c), and lemons and limes work well, too. My fish love just about any type of fruit from bananas to watermelon, but I do try to space it out a bit because it can be so hig in sugar. Kale, chard, or any other leafy greens are good as well. Seaweed is another good option.

• 4 weeks later...

He is spending half of his day floating at the surface now. He has been like this for a while. I have cut his feeding down to once a day or he would spend the whole day at the surface. I don't think it is overfeeding. Perhaps some organ was damaged during the last round of dropsy.

edit: Oh yes and the tail spots have almost healed completely now.

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

I seen the PH for the tap is at 6.8 I think that is low??

I have noticed before when my PH where I moved too was low that my black fish would get an almost white color and they also develope an excess of slime coat I attributed it to more acidic water before I got it buffered up better. Just curious if she ever seemed extra slimey

Correct me if I am totally off please trinket, for all I know the lower PH an the other symptoms of my fish may have been totally unrelated =)

by the way I have your fishies twin from my fry batch last year...right down to the orange/black an the gill curl on 1 side haha

I guess I kind of jumped the gun on the tail spots. Earlier on in the thread you can see pictures of it, it is exactly the same again. Trinket called them bacterial columns.

So it would seem my tank has bacteria harboring somewhere. I think I may have to replace the media in the filter. I think the biomax and the pads (Aqua clear) are about maybe a year and 8 months old. I did have some of the biomax in an older filter before that. Any thoughts on that?

The only other thing it could be would be the uv sterilizer I added about 6 months ago. The problems with dropsy and everything started soon after I got the uv sterilizer. It is a cheap one called The Green Killing Machine. I got it to get rid of my green water. I am just thinking of getting rid of it. I cant see it having bacteria though. Maybe inside?

After all that my Java Fern is the only other thing. It is in a glass vase with no rocks or anything, and it gets cleaned out at every water change.

edit : I found some white stringy poop again, that means bacterial infection right?

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

I have the same UV filter...I clean it out every couple weeks. I just run warm water into the intake and shake it over & over until water runs clear. A lot of gunk comes out.

Boog has some whitish spots/smears on his tail lately too though...could it be our tap water? Since we live in the same city. Also I am suspecting it might be the crushed coral I got from PU, started with Sherbets fin rot, and since he then had redness in belly area I guess it was bacterial. :( I'm taking that coral out for now.

Edited by Red