Sign in to follow this  
macbeth110

Gel Food Problems

I've made gel food twice and both times I made it, the top layer had lots of bubbles in it. When it congealed, the bubbly layer became spongy and it makes the food float. I ended up slicing each individual piece of food in half to get rid of the floating part. Does anybody have any tips to get rid of the bubbly layer while I'm making the gel food?

How do you mix your food? I use baby food mostly so I just mix mine with a spoon and I don't get a bubbly layer. Maybe when you mix it you add too much air in it? :undecided:

I used organic tuna, two jars of organic baby food (peas and carrots), and gelatin - all mixed in a blender. I guess maybe next time I can blend the tuna, then mix everything together by hand. Maybe that will get rid of the bubbles?

How do you make it? I don't get bubbles, but I am not sure what I do that does not cause that problem. I almost puree about a 3/4 to 1 cup of blanched vegetables with a little of the blanching water. I then take about 1/3 to 1/2 c. of the remaining veg water and microwave--then add 1.5 packs of gelatine and mix that in.. Mix together with the still hot veg mix and let set. Maybe it sets without bubbles as everthing is hot when mixed and the proportion of water/veg mix works somehow?

Oh-- just saw your second post. I also mix the water the veg "amost puree" by hand.

I just made some today with the same process as you and it sinks like a rock, but i have the little bubbly part on top. How much gelatin did you use?I used 2 packs and how long has it been in the fridge?

I had the same problem when I mixed the gelatin in the blender with the other ingredients.

What I do is mixing all the ingredients in the blender, except for the gelatin. Then I poor it in the dish and let it stand for a few minutes in case some air bubbles are trapped (I make mine rather liquid, it is a little bit more liquid than the baby food).

Then I mix the gelatin with water, bring it to a boil and then stir it in the food with a spoon. I slowly stir it to not get air in it.

Since I do it like that, I have sinking gel food. :)

This sounds so simple with baby food and tuna. I have got to pick this stuff up next time I go to the grocery store which really should be tomorrow. I have common/comets that are 3" and under. Is this ok to feed them also?

I never really used a blender... I used a food processor when I didnt know about baby food.. But I have always mixed the stuff together in a pan on the stove top, then added alittle water then the gelatin :)

Another solution to air bubbles might be to tap the container on the counter while it's cooling. I'm not sure if that'll work, but I'm pretty sure it will force the bubbles to the top and eventually out.

That is if all the other suggestions don't work for you. :)

The only problem I have with my gel foods is that the ONE time I added a SMALL ammount of garlic it turned EVERYTHING in BOTH fridges garlic-smelling. Yeesh. :thud

Oh yeah garlic can do that to your frig... thats why I keep baking soda in there :lol

:rofl

The thing is we keep like.. 2 boxes of baking soda in each, and it still stunk to high heaven. I had to throw it out!

Maybe next time I'll put in two grains and then see how that goes. :lol

Could people please post their recipes on here? :)

There's already a pinned topic for fish food recipies, isn't there? Or at least there's one for ingredients.. :hmm

There's already a pinned topic for fish food recipies, isn't there? Or at least there's one for ingredients.. :hmm

Yes, and while I am not trying to be lazy here...it was really tough combing through the thread for the ingredients. I was hoping for the most up-to-date recipe from current members. :)

Were you more successful than I was I getting a recipe from there?

Edited by dnalex

I generally searched the entire forum for "gel food" and found other member's recipes. A "basic" format for it is unflavored Gelatin, Baby food (made purely of vegetables) and some source of protein (tuna fish, salmon, etc.).

I use Knox Unflavored Gelatin, Canned Tuna (in water), and whatever is the cheapest veggy baby food and blend it all up nice.

Some people prefer to add vitamins, garlic, other veggies, fruits, garlic, etc. Just be advised on the garlic that it STINKS! :rofl

Well fruits should be used sparingly or not at all because of the high sugar.

In mine, I used:

green bell pepper

red bell pepper

zucchini

cucumber

multivitamin

acidophilus pearl

+ 2 packets of knox gel

I forgot the spinach, peas, carrots and garlic though. And since I don't want to bother melting down the gel food, I just fed it to them anyway. They love it...but my guys love everything but leafy stuff.

Thank you! I am going to have to make some very soon! I think the pellets foods aren't so good for my goldies.

I used:

1 can sardines(packed in water) mashed up well.

1 large bottle baby food sweet potatoes

1 large bottle baby food green beans

1 adult multi-vitamin(no iron), crushed to powder

1 tsp pure garlic powder

2 envelopes Know gelatin powder dissolved in 3/4 -1 cup boiled water.

Next time I want to add wheat germ, or flax too.