Bamboo Shrimp?

Vee

I've been looking through the snails & crustaceans forum and I've seen that a few people have said it would be okay to keep a bamboo shrimp with goldfish..

I have a snail in my tank and was thinking maybe a shrimp would be a good addition?

If anything, I'd at least like to see one in a lfs.. But the thing is.. I'm not sure where to start looking?

I know I'm having trouble finding where to purchase one online, as I've searched e-bay and a couple of sites that normally sell fish.. I've even looked through pet*co's site, and while they had a few different types of shrimp, no bamboo's..

I can't exactly run out to a lfs and being the search, as they're a bit of a ways away..

Any ideas, guys?

Actually the Bamboo shrimp will be fine with the goldfish. Up until just recently I've always kept bamboo shrimps with all of my goldies and they never even bother the bamboo shrimp. It is probably because they are much bigger than regular shrimp.

Here is a pic of my bamboo shrimp (rip) with my common, they lived together for 3 1/2 years.

DSCF4536.jpg

You say you have trouble finding them and that the lfs are all quite far from you, could you maybe call the different stores to see who carries them?

XD D'oh. I should have thought of that one! I can't imagine why it slipped my mind to do that.. :rofl

And the shrimp should be fine in my tank, right? I have 2 orandas, 2 black moors and a snail in a 50g.. The way I saw someone else explaining it that even though they had two fancies and had filled their capacity for a happy fishtank that adding one shrimp per 10g would be fine ontop of that.

If I'm wrong, correct me. I just want to double check. :)

I always kept only one mostly because we do so much cleaning in our goldie tanks. Bamboo shrimps are filter feeders they need some dissolved organics in the tank to be able to feed. Mine would always hang out under the AC outflow and feed from the little bits that came out of the filter. The only time it would move from there was when I cleaned the filter then it would have to look for food somewhere else for a few days. :D If I were you I would start with one and see how it does and then you can always add more after. And they do add quite to the bioload, they poop quite a bit too. :D

Do you have places where they can hide? They don't like being out in the open and they also molt about once a month if they are feeding enough, when they molt they will need a very good spot to hide for 24 - 48 hours.

I only wanted to get one from the get-go, just wanted to make sure I had the right environment. :D

I have (at the moment) one terracotta pot with a little bit of gravel "pouring" out of it, and I plan to attempt to make a "moss wall", along with a couple of other plants. I've been told my goldies will eat through it like a salad bar.. :rolleyes: but it'd be at least interesting to try!

I'll probably end up getting another pot, as I like the way the one looks now.. Plus it was so cheap!

My dad's been complaining that the tank was boring (he apparently doesn't find four fancies interesting enough..) so maybe adding a bamboo shrimp'll get him on board. :)

Yeah the bamboo shrimp might interest your dad more than the goldies but they don't move too much tho. I have a hollow log decoration in the tank where Gollum (that was my bamboo shrimp's name) would hide to molt. I had a small airstone in the log itself so that there was no danger of stagnant water in there. I never saw my bamboo shrimp go anywhere near my terra cotta pots tho. I think it felt too exposed. Unless you were to break one in half so that it felt like a little cave? :undecided:

Edited by caitie

Oh! I have a hollow log as well, but my fish seem to like swimming through it.. >>;

I'm sure that once I get my tank planted and potted up he'll have plenty of spaces to hide. I plan on getting my plants ordered as soon as I can get my money into the bank one day after class.

I probably won't get the shrimp until a good bit after then, so I'll plan ahead for it. :)

Thanks for all the great advice, Caitie.

Moss and plants are on the way! It might not be enough for a whole floor covering, just yet, but I'm working on it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yaaay! My plants are finally in! I didn't order a LOT of moss, but what I got seems to be okay how it is for now! :) I'll be calling the pet shop within the week to see if they'll order me a shrimp.

I've gotten another smaller pot, which will probably do well for the shrimpy. I also have a glass "cube" vase that I have some moss on. Plenty of bubbles to go around, and even an attempted diy sponge filter, which I'm not 100% sure it works, but it adds some bubbles, so either way no foul! :D

id see no issues for this in my opinion. i already see you are getting them .hopefully you do make the purchase. they arent expensive though they aint cheap either! also if youre concerned about them being eaten, you can also buy red claw shrimp. community tank friendly and they get REALLY big .. for a shrimp

:) Haven't ordered yet, but now that you mention another type of shrimp is okay for goldies I might give that one a try as well.

I'm not sure that I'm going to get them soon. My fish just laid eggs all over the place and I want to see if any of them will hatch.

Plus one of my snails died.. :( He was all floaty and he would be okay and floaty and one of the days he was floating he just.. gave up, I guess. The other two seem fine, so maybe it was a problem with just him?