Sign in to follow this  
dnalex

Your Feeding Regimen...

Hello,

I know that there are probably lots of iterations of this question in previous threads. I figured it might be nice to see if any of the members here are doing any different, or just don't mind (re)sharing their fish feeding regimens. What started all this was that today I finally disciplined myself to begin the practice of fasting my fish one day a week. It's really tough, especially because my little piggies are doing their best to beg for food. :)

Anyway, would you share your feeding schedule and what your fish's diet consists of? Thanks! :)

I personally feed pellets five days as their first meal and then bloodworms. I need to get more consistent about feeding them veggies though. Then I fast for one day and peas the following day.

3-5 times a day with omega one pellets, shrimp pellets and at least 4 times a week bloodworms. I am not a consisten faster LOL but they graze on the algae in the tank daily.

Well, today has been the first day I fasted them. I have wanted to do it previously but I just couldn't resist the temptation to feed them, even though I know full well they are fine for one day without my feeding them.

Right now I have NLS and Omega one pellets for mornings, and then late afternoons I alternate between blood worms, peas, and pellets. I have been looking up recipes in the food section here, and will attempt gel food of my own in the coming month. Then I will add that to their diet. I would like to order some Hikari products also, but this not for the immediate future, since I think their diet, while it could always be improved, is ok for the moment.

Who knew how much planning and obsessing it takes to raise a herd of little sea pigs :rofl

Edited by dnalex

I feed 3-4 times a day, I have a variety of foods (a couple of types of pellets, shrimp, bloodworms, veggies, etc). Then on the day that I'm cleaning their tanks, I don't feed them all day and give them peas a couple of hours before I start cleaning.

I feed once a day, about 7:15am. Ocean Nutrition Spirulina Flakes.

Occationally in the afternoon or early evening, I'll clip a slice of orange/lemon/lime/cuccumber to the glass. Occationally, I'll flick in some pieces of avocado or pear, or other soft fruit. Occationally, some smashed up garlic. Rarely peas.

I never fast them.

I never feed them worms or other "live" or frozen "live" food, and I don't make them gel foods.

i refuse to feed my floating blimps anything anymore!!! i obviously don't have a happy "routine" to share!!

but i will be keeping an eye out on this thread incase anything tickles theirfancy..

i refuse to feed my floating blimps anything anymore!!! i obviously don't have a happy "routine" to share!!

but i will be keeping an eye out on this thread incase anything tickles theirfancy..

lol :rofl

I understand your frustrations with floatie fish.

My routine:

5 days gel food (homemade with fresh products), peas on the day I clean the tank (first peas than w/c) followed by a fast day. Fast day for my gf means that they eat algae and damage my plants a bit more.

Fruit once every 2 weeks and some other veggies from time to time.

popcorn.gifWatching for ideas.

Morning: Tetra goldfish growth pellets

Afternoon: Fresh veg, usually whatever veg I am having with my dinner lol

Night: Tetra goldfish growth pellets

Sundays: Bloodworms

I will be replacing the night feed with colour enhancing food as my Ryukin is starting to look very washed out. any recommendations on brand?

Edited by skikes

Fasting Fluffy is easy for me because I'm usually away one or two nights every week. Those are the days he fasts. The fast is followed by a meal of peas (2 thawed, skinned and chopped peas.)

On the other days I've been giving him Hikari lionhead in the a.m., a treat of some kind of leafy green veg before I go to work (this gives him something to do all day besides eat the plants). In the evening, I feed a variety of things - some flakes (soaked), some more veg, or some scrambled egg, or other protein (depending what I'm eating myself.)

I may be over feeding a bit, but I want him to grow. I am also ordering some pro-gold, because the Hikari seems to be causing a color change. I want his white to stay white!

I have not introduced blood worms, but that is my plan at some point.

:painting:

I am also ordering some pro-gold, because the Hikari seems to be causing a color change. I want his white to stay white

Im using the tetra gold growth... But the pellets are orange and I suspect that the food dye in them is what is turning my redcap orange :/

Though I don't mind. He isn't the nicest shade of white, more light pink lol

Edited by skikes

I feed them once per day, 5 pellets for the big guy and 3 for the little guy. The pellets are 3-5mm in size. I don't remember the brand... I give them whatever veggies I'm cooking with and sometimes fruit. I don't fast them or only give them peas any day of the week.

I feed twice a day and very it up. They usually get gel food for at least one meal. Veggies/fruits tend to be brocolli, kale, lettuce, cucumbers, avocado, banana, orange, lemon lime, watermelon or whatever else I have on hand. I also have spirulina. Frozen brine, krill, and bloodworms. I tend to vary it up quite a bit. They fast when I travel, but I try to not fast or Hatter gets nippy again.

That's interesting that not everyone fasts their fish.

From Monday to Thursday I feed mine homemade gel food once a day, for the second meal they get some blanched veggies. Every once in a while I'll give them a treat by giving them a piece of shrimp or some hard boiled egg white. They go nuts over the egg white. :D They get pieces of fruit once a week. Friday they get to fast, Saturday is pea day. Can you tell why Sunday is wc day? :rofl

That's interesting that not everyone fasts their fish.

actually most fast their fish once per week.. i alternate.. once one week and twice the other.. it does them a world of good :)

Oh I haven't heard about fasting goldies, is that to clean them out?

Yes, it's to clean them out. I think the practice is to fast and then feed them peas the day after fasting. The other reason for fasting, I believe, is that on the (off)chance you overfeed your fish, this will help to decrease waste output also.

Stakos, I will continue to fast my fish. From what understand, it's good for them :)

Feed twice per day. Saki Hikari pellets daily, substituting one feeding every second day with one of the following: Omega One veggie rounds, nori(seaweed sheets for sushi), peas, beans, broccoli, spinach, romaine lettuce, cucumber. I fast one day/week, usually water change day. Once a month I fast a day then feed peas only for 2 days to clean them out. :lol

Fed an orange slice last week. What a mess that makes! They LOVED it though. Definitely a "day before water change" treat!

Getting some frozen bloodworms soon.

And going to make gel food too.

Edited by Red

Yeah I don't fast them... It probably wouldn't hurt, but not fasting them has worked for so many years that I don't want to change anything unless there's a problem.

You'll be able to tell when your fish is constipated by checking out their poop (unfortunately noone's figured out how to put little lights on their bellies that are colour co-ordinated for condition), if the poop is long and/or stringy you probably want to cut back the feeding a bit. I remember reading somewhere a fish's stomach is the size of their eyeball, but when you actually lay that amount of pellets out it looks like a lot, my guys certainly don't get that much, at least not in one go. If you're not sure, feed less. Lots of very small meals are much better than one big one, particularly with the more extreme fancy goldfish. Goldfish stomachs are essentially just tubes, and in fancies they're not straight so if you feed too much it can get stuck and in worse cases can cause bacterial infections if it's in there too long. The poop should appear a few hours after feeding and be the same colour as the food. One of the advantages of feeding different foods is that you can tell what meal it was they're pooping, if you fed peas yesterday and brown pellets this morning but the green only appears today you know that it's taking too long to process and they probably need a fast to help clear them out. Peas are so good because they're easy to prep and have a laxative effect (though I suspect a lot of other green veges may be the same).

Hope that helps, yell if you're not sure on something :)

I honestly got quite bad with my fasting routine. BUT since they don't get pellets anymore, they all have a lot less problems. Like zero. And I am feeding them A LOT.

I make gel food, and the tank with the six fish gets fed two to three times a day, each time I drop in a big piece about a third or half cubic inch. Now lets not forget of course that gel food contains a lot more moisture than pellets. Pellets are very high concentrated nutrition, so they need less of them.

My gel food contains at least 25% peas. I haven't had a fish floaty or constipated since. They usually got "nice" fat poopoos.

Frozen food, egg white and fresh veggies are fed in addition to the gel food.

On some days the fish get fed only once because I am at work most of the day.

Since this new "feeding regimen" and different food, all the fish grew and got fat as they should be. With the pellets before, I noticed some of my fish seeming skinny. Like Chibi in my signature, she looks pretty tiny and thin for a telescope. Now she is a rolly polly.

And the water conditions didn't suffer either, I think my BBs adjusted to the higher amount of waste pretty quickly.

Oh, and I don't get the "their stomach is only as big as their eye" rule, considered goldfish do not have a stomach. :hmm

Oh, and I don't get the "their stomach is only as big as their eye" rule, considered goldfish do not have a stomach. :hmm

Maybe it's a 'it is only possible to fit as much food in your goldfish as the size of their eyeball' :idont Some fishies do not appear to have heard of this rule though :doh11:

Edited by devilduck