1 Year At Koko's

austinado16

Today is my 1 year anniversary for joining you all here at Koko's and I still have the same 3 fish that I started with.

When I came here a year ago, I had a Comet with a sore on her lip, and blood in her tail. The sore started as a bloody area and a white pimple, and then burst, creating a bunch of sluffing skin. Her tail had bloody veins, and streaks that were movng outward towards the end of the fin. She was also flashing, shaking her head back and forth rapidly, and had a rapid opening and closing of her mouth at times.

I was overstocked and the water was cloudy all the time. I wasn't testing my water, nor did I know how, and had no idea what a cycle or cycled tank was.

A year later, I'm on my 4th aquarium (10g, 25g, 55g vintage, 70g vintage) the fish are healthy and happy, the water stays crystal clear all the time. I even have a nice little crop of tasty green algae growing on the 3D background, which the fish started harvesting about a couple weeks ago.

2 little blips of disease during the year:

-Back in August that same Comet got a ragged looking tail fin, literally overnight. That was my fault because I was letting the water go 3 weeks between changes because it was staying so clear and the params were good...but I was letting the nitrAtes run up to 40ish. Cured that tail with a salt and going back to once a week water changing.

-In late Sept./early Oct. the smaller Comet got dropsy. Not sure why, maybe it was due to the water change issue back in August. Thanks to the info here, I was able to get a handle on the swelling and get the meds going. She survived just fine and was back in the big tank in just a couple weeks.

Thanks to you folks for all the help. It's been fun learning, and it's made the goldfish experience very rewarding for our family.

Edited by austinado16

Well, I know that I was not part of the helping crew since your problems happened during my rather inactive time, but I am glad and happy to read such a nice story,

Good to have you here, and good that your fish are doing so great! It is nice to see someone being successful with fish keeping after starting out kind of wrong. :)

"Kind of wrong....."

Oh, you have no idea!! That bigger Comet is a survivor of several years in a 1g "Fish TV" type goldfish bowl, and then about another year in a 2-1/2g horizontal style goldfish bowl that sat on our kitchen table with an Anubias in the middle and a little bubbler....and for all those years, I never treated the water for chlorine and only changed it when it was cloudy. She's even survived me dropping her down the sink drain, into the garbage disposal!

Needless to say, you have no idea how happy I am with the knowledge gained here, and beautiful aquarium we now enjoy!

What a wonderful Story :) Thanks for the quick recap and Congrats for you and your Goldfish surviving the first year...it can only get better Right ;)

I think this was probably year 6 overall...

...better late than never!

austinado,

I've really enjoyed reading your posts on restoring your tanks, and am always happy to hear from a fellow single fin lover/owner! They are hardy! I look forward to hearing more from you (and your future tank rebuilds!)

lol......thanks Seymoura. No more tank builds for me! That 70 was enough work.

Well, okay, one more. I have a 20 long that FedEx destroyed for me. The glass is cut and I've just been to lazy to break the rest of the glass out of the frame, dig the tar out, and put it all back together.

Hail to the single tail owners!!