Sign in to follow this  
msmith1

Green Water ?

Ok I have a 65 gallon with 7 goldfish tanks been set up for just over a month. I have been doing 50% water changes once a week and it's always been clear however about a week ago i put a real plant in the tank (all others are fake) since i put the real plant in the water has gone green within a day of doing a water change is this 100% the plant if so how do you guys keep your water clear ?

Green water means you got lots of algae in the tank. I never had the problem, but I think if you had several big life plants, like anubias or java fern, they would use up most of the nitrate that the algae is living of right now.

Another thing to do is reducing the light. Keep the tank lights off for several days, the algae needs it to thrive. Taking light away will kill the algae.

As last resort I could think of a UV sterilizer.

I had a really bad green water problem a few months ago.

I did a combination of things hehe, blocked off the side of the tank facing the window, reduced the time the lights were on, lots of water changes, and even a three day blackout (completely covered the tank and turned the light off with no peeking) - that was torture!

I'm not sure if any of those things helped my water at all but the thing that finally got rid of the green water was a new filter. It was clear in a day or two after that.

However, you say your tank was clear before the plant which makes it sound unlikely you need a new filter! it may be worth looking into though once you've exhausted all other options. Otherwise, your problem may only be temporary (mine lasted a few weeks) so maybe just carry on doing the water changes and maybe more often, reducing light hours like Fang said, and hopefully it'll clear up on its own :).

Best of luck! I know how annoying it is hehe but hopefully it wont hang around too long.

Cheers where a bouts in the north west are you I live in blackpool. Are you a Cardiff fan asking because your name is bluebird ?

Edited by msmith1

Hi MSMITH1 ......

I have sought help on this forum over the past few months for questions related to inside Aquariums and Goldfish and have recieved such very valuable advise. Your question seems to be more suited to me than to my

friends here. .... In the pond world (outside) ... "Green" water is a "Good" thing , in fact, there are experts that encourage Algae saturated water and some research indicates it is good for Goldfish and Koi ..... I know that it is not the best thing for an inside aquarium but it seems very easily resolved by doing a water change .....

Washingtongoldfish

Tom

Green water does not happen in one day usually.:o

Green water (that we are discussing here as being a wonderful thing )takes weeks and weeks sometimes months to cultivate.

You say you have green water in one day...after a water change? . maybe a plant that is rotting , do you have a picture so we can see how green you mean :)?

A single day is indeed very quick for green water to appear. If it were green water, I would also expect a fair amount of algae growth on the sides of the tank (is this the case?).

As an aside, green water is very healthy for (gold)fish because it represent a constant supply of easily eaten very healthy food (algae are high in essential nutrients and reasonably low in unhealthy nutrients such as sugars). They should in theory also keep e.g. nitrates very low (but they don't get rid of the tank's bioload, so water changes are still essential). The one potential negative aspect of green water that I am aware of is when there is a power outage and water oxygenation is decreased: the algae can in this case use of too much of the available oxygen, which is obviously not so good for the fish.

Cheers where a bouts in the north west are you I live in blackpool. Are you a Cardiff fan asking because your name is bluebird ?

I hope it helps a little :D and hehe no, my user name isn't related to Cardiff (I'm not even aware of the connection sadly!). No idea how far I am from Blackpool :P.

True green water is a free floating algae that actually use ammonia as food. You cannot have both a traditional tank cycle and green water because the algae will compete with your beneficial bacteria for food. I get green water in my pond every summer, and it is a brilliant deep green color. As others have said, it takes weeks to get to this state in full outdoor sunlight, and it has to be constantly monitored to make sure that the fish are getting enough oxygen.

Check out this old post for good pictures of what green water looks like.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/60815-greenwater-diary/page__view__findpost__p__694584

:D Thanks Claire! That was the VERY thread I was looking for. Great pics of GW. I went into Lucyxfishes profile to find it but nothing came up on her "threads started" link.

The librarian strikes again! I used the advanced search and looked for "green water" in the water problems forum. I remember looking at it before when I was curious about green water.

My water has been turning green in the last couple of weeks. After reading past topics on green water I am happy that it is(green) :rockon .

Guest luspin

My water has been turning green in the last couple of weeks. After reading past topics on green water I am happy that it is(green).....

--------------

Fish Tanks