Mystery Snails......how Long Can They Stay Under Water?

Jeana727

One of my Mystery Snails has just been in one place of the front glass for quite awhile. This made me wonder JUST how long can they be underwater before they HAVE to go to the surface for a refill?????

:ehh They hold water in their shells as they have gills. They usually don't go up to the surface unless they're not getting enough oxygen and use their little tube if I'm not mistaken.

Cool! I didn't know they had gills! I remembered when I had them awhile back I would occasionally see one at the surface with his little air tube thingee getting air. I assumed that was how they breathed.

I recently got some more & I have one that's been on the front glass for ALONG time. I thought they held air in the shell kind of like a tank, but had to surface every so often. Hhmmmm, learn something every day!

:ehh They hold water in their shells as they have gills. They usually don't go up to the surface unless they're not getting enough oxygen and use their little tube if I'm not mistaken.

Absolutely! They do have lungs and gills and will resort to lungs if the oxygen becomes too low for them but they go up the surface from time to time anyway. The lungs though cannot be filled with water or they will drown.