Sign in to follow this  
Bash

Need Emergency Help Now!

Thank you Grace ^^ We're hoping to upgrade to a 125 gallon tank soon =) so bash will have even more room! =D

Edited by Bash

Your tank looks great :) And Bash is beautiful, she's had an amazing transformation :) She looks like a Ryukin in most of the pics, to me.

@Buggybear: Thank you ^^ the tank will get a make over once bash is better again and then it's on to saving up for a bigger tank! =D She indeed has a wonderful transformation. We're sometimes still amazed by it!

So we've got 3 people thinking she's a ryukin and 1 who's doubting ^^

Edited by Bash

Yay! I'm so glad Bash is feeling better. I love your tank as well...the plants look just lovely.

Take care,

Mj

I can see the ryukin hump on her. Anyway, she is a very beautiful fish, and I'm glad she's doing better now.

When you upgrade to a 125g, you can get her a few friends :)

@Mjbubbles: Yeah we're glad too ^^ She's not out of the woods yet but she's getting there. The plants are a bit icky now seeing as the algue are taking advantage of the high Kh >_> algue take over! But it will look better once everything is back to the normal routine again.

@dnalex: That makes 4 people for ryukin then! Thank you for your nice comment ^^ When we upgrate to 125g we won't get another friend for bash seeing as we want to uphold the 125g per ryukin rule =) It looks like she's a ryukin so she won't get any friends unless we upgrade to an even bigger tank. We're thinking of doing that now seeing as bash really misses a little friend in there.

Edited by Bash

Ah and I forgot to update today! Geez lol, too much spazzing over a bigger tank. I got the new wheat germ based food for bash, hikari wheat germ medium sinking pellets. Bash ignored them at first but she ate them later on.

My gf did notice that when she has done a 50% waterchange bash is more active. We're a bit concerned about her bottom sitting a lot again :s We'll let her be for now seeing as she eats fine and her poop is still normal, but yeah I hope she's still doing fine.

Edited by Bash

Okay time for a new update on bash. The waterparameters are still fine NH3/NH4 =0 NO2 = 0, we're still doing our 50% changes daily and we've taken another section of the sand/gravel bottom. We put some of the plants in a square piece of filter sponge and placed a small stone on it to keep it on the bottom. This sponge will be taken out every 2 weeks to be washed and every 4 weeks it'll get a bath in calcium...uhm something. It's used here to clean the plants from any bacteria but we're gonna use it to desinfect the sponges to keep from any harmful bacteria nesting in there.

Bash is still doing okay although her behaviour hasn't gone back to normal. She still eats and poops fine but she is very scared to eat when we are close to the tank. She comes out at night when the tank lights are out and swims around just fine. During the day she just hides and only comes out for food if my gf has stept away from the tank. She doesn't respond to the tapping anymore either. Is this normal? Or does it just take a lot of time before bash we'll get used to us again?

If Bash appears healthy and the water params are good, maybe she's missing her friend? Might take a bit for her to get used to being alone :idont

That's what we thought too and we are doing a lot in the tank every weekend with taking out the bottom. In the middle of the tank there's a huge gap with no plants or anything. So I guess we're being impatient and she just needs to get used to everything again.

When you're cleaning or feeding, maybe take a few moments to just let your hand dangle so she can check it out; soon she'll figure out that you guys are her companions, too ;)

We tried that but she won't come out of her hiding spot under a fake wood piece we have in there. She won't come out at all unless you put your hand where she is and then she tries to swim away and hide in the few plants that are still in there <_> She's just not the fish she used to be.

I can't remember the size of your tank, but if it's big enough and cycled maybe you could get her a friend soon? Just be sure to qt a newbie first and that Bash is feeling healthy :)

try not to stress her.

can you summarize the meds you have used on her? does she clamp her dorsal fine when she bottom sits?

alos, try and give lots of fresh vegs and frozen foods. the wheat germ isn't a very nourishing staple food for fish who aren't pond fish kept at colder temps.

@Buggybear: The tank is 1m x 35 cm x 45cm uhm about 160L but after taking of the plants and such it's 120L I think. Not enough for a second fish. She will have friends again when we get the 1.50m long tank ^^

@Captain: We only used the camacell (for worms) and the bactyfec for bacteria (internal and external). She's not clamping any fins. We tried veggies before but she only eats peas, she doesn't like cucumber. We haven't tried salad yet, may give that a go too. We're gonna start giving her tubifex tomorrow ^_^ We have all sorts of frozen foods but haven't given it to her yet because of the high proteins in them.

Edited by Bash

you can try spinach - slightly boiled and you can hang it on a veggie clip. Or spirulina is very healthy too and has good protein. She will need protein to build up energy again.

it is strange she doesn't respond to you. can you get hold of Praziquantel there? I think you might be able to find it from KoiMed - called Wormex. Whatever you get make sure it is 100% prazi and not a cocktail of things. The camacell how did you does it? I think it also works for gill flukes (???) but unless you treated for 3days a week for 4 weeks Bash could still have flukes.

to me it is the most logical explanation if you water is good. I don't think fish can 'moody' or 'depressed' unless they have something physically wrong. At least this has been my experience/

she could also be stressed from the water changes. try and do a little less. start with trying every 2 days and see how that goes with the parameters (if maybe ammonia or nitrites go up or not). always make sure the temp and pH of the new water match the tank

:)

Ow hey I hadn't thought of spinach yet! Thanks! I know what you mean, you just cook them very shortly so they get soft enough for the fish to eat. ^^ We need to go to the grocery store later anyways so we can pick some up. We'll combine the wheat germ with proteine food so she can built up her reserves again.

I could try and look for it but I've never heard nor seen praziquantel here. The camacell was in for 4 days 2 weeks ago. We could go for another round if needed and yes it works against flukes too.

Okay, yeah we were thinking of stress but we weren't sure. We're out the last of the sand today so we will have a barebottom tank ^_^ After that we can slowly built down the waterchanges. We'll check back tomorrow with photo's to show waht it looks like now. Thx for your advice once again.

Update on bash. She is doing better again ^_^ I also have new pictures from monday when we took out all the remaining sand and placed the plants in the blue sponges. Then we placed rocks on them so they would've float. We didn't have enough rocks but this is just the rough outline to see if it actually works.The sponges will be cleaned one by one every 2 weeks and also bathed in kaliumpermanganate from kinshi. It's normally used to desinfect plants or filters.

Bash is now eating decently again. And she even swims a bit more although she still hides in the plants. She eats almost everything we feed her, slowly we're giving her more proteins and veggies, she had peas yesterday and tubifex, bloodworms and spirulania today, tomorrow hikari and wheat germ and then the next day dried silk caterpillar and hikari again I think. Bash comes up to eat food again too ^_^ She looks much fuller now and almost all her weird spots are healed. She isn't fully back to the old bash but we think she's getting there.

Waterparameters are:

Ph: 8

KH: 7

GH: 7

NO2: 0

NH3/NH4: 0

Okay so here's the tank on the day of taking the last bits of bottom out, the tank without the plants (lots of icky stuff in the water too):

dsc00158u.jpg

Water half way out of the tank and all the sand is gone, Left side

dsc00167qx.jpg

Right side

dsc00166ag.jpg

Tank full again with the plants in there, sorry for the water drops!

dsc00174o.jpg

I think your tank looks great!! And so good to hear Bash is continuing to improve! Yay! :)

I got so into this story of your goldfish I was unknowingly ignoring my husband. lol

He was talking to me when I was on page 3 and I said hunny I missed what you said, can this wait, I've got to find out what happens with Bash! I'm so glad Bash is doing well and I hope one day he is all back to normal again for you.

The tank looks great now btw and Bash looks wonderful! :goodjob

Thank you so much everyone for all the nice comments yet again! My apologies for not updating on Bash's condition sooner but we have some very good news. Seems like we were actually right with bash being 'depressed' so to speak and missing another friend. We got a very stunted ryukin from a good friend of ours (he's 2 years old I believe and half the size of bash in bodylength), his name is goldie (weird name..we know xD) and he now swims with bash in our tank. We didn't want to add another fish because we want to give bash as much gallons as we can but now she was making herself 'sick' and she was constantly stressing so much that we had to. It was just rediculous how she reacted, she wouldn't eat when we were in the room, she'd barely swim and just sit under that piece of fake wood all day.

When we placed goldie in the tank (he had already been in quarantaine, had a check over and so on), we let goldie adjust to the water bash was in (took about half an hour, adding bash's water slowly to the bag goldie was in) and then we placed him in the tank. After like 5 mins or so, Bash was all over him, literally 'bashing' him away from 'HER' fake wood piece and then chasing him throughout the entire tank. She even tried to bite him once -_- nice welcome bash!

After a while they got used to each other and then bash kept bugging him for attention xD Saturday (we put goldy in friday) bash was swimming again, eating normal and even coming up and racing in front of the window. She also ate when we were there o.o We literally were jumping up and down because she was swimming again! We were and still are extremely happy she's behaving like the old bash we knew. The best part was when we fed them white bloodworms and the second the bloodworms were in the water bash started to hunt after them!! It was awesome! We made a video of their first incounter too =)

The sponges in the tank have proven to be an effective way to grow plants. We clean them out once a week but it's fun to see the roots growing through the sponges =D We're not actively looking for a 1.50m long tank with atleast 125-150 gallon's of water and added to that a sump so we have even more gallons ^_^ That way bash can have 75g for herself, goldie (because of his size) only needs 20G and then we'll add one or 2 demekins who'll have 25g per fish.

Once again I want to thank everyone for all the help, especially captain, nice comments and the warm welcome to this forum. Once everything has settled down here we'll give regular updates in our own photoalbum ^_^

Last but not least for people who are wondering how big bash actually is. Her total lenght is 14cm, her body is 9cm long and her height is 6 almost 7cm ^^

@Vahlla: Haha we both had to laugh when we read your comment, I hope your husband can forgive us and bash for being such a distraction! xD

Edited by Bash

Correction: We are actively looking for a 1.50m tank, scratch the 'not' that's in front of that! xD