Sign in to follow this  
Bash

Need Emergency Help Now!

no air pump is great - you can never have too many bubbles.

I am not too sure about the antibiotic - it would be great if you had not started it. but since you did you now have to finish the 7days. maybe you will have to buy more since you will be doing the daily 50% water changes and re.dosing 50% of the dose back in. is this clear? :) You basically have to just keep it in 7days right? then just make sure you always keep the required dose in. if you need 10ml for the tank you will redose 5ml once you have done the water change. this should help unstress the fish atleast with the water quality. hopefully the medicine isn't too aggressive.

remember that your pH is 8 so the ammonia is toxic already at low levels. keep up the daily water changes with temp and pH matched water.

yea blackness is a sign of healing - they come a few weeks after the 1st ammonia exposure - you can have them on the body, face or fins.

Okay we'll leave it in then ^^ haha and I love the sentence you used 'you can never have too many bubbles'.

Yes I understand what you mean with the dosis. We have a full bottle of that medicine and we needed to add 32ml for the full 160L of water. So half of that is 16ml per waterchange of 80L which is 50%. If we need to get more medicine, we'll do it =). The ph unfortunately comes what high out of the tap. It used to be 7 but with all the water changes it just went up. My gf is doing a 50% water change in a bit so that the water will be cleaner today too. I hope the medicine isn't that agressive either <_>

I'll update you again on the situation tomorrow and when we have the test kits I'll update on that too! As soon as everything changes to normal I'll make a photo album so you can see what bash looks like ^^ But first..she needs to get better!

yea exactly, it really helps if you get back with daily updates so you can get better help.

also a picture of her now wouldn't hurt incase the Mods see something to be worried about.

hopefully she will be fine in no time :)

Okay will do then =)

The picture is a bit hard to get, I will try but she's usually hiding in the plants and when she isn't she swims around very fast, obviously stressing. Poor girl <_> But I'll try to take a picture, also to show if any progress has been made.

Thank you again for everything captain, I swear to god you deserve a huge box of chocolates if Bash recovers all fine again!

Okay update for today. My gf did a 50% waterchange yesterday and today. Bash still isn't eating but we keep checking if she will. My gf drops in 2 pellets of sinking food to see if she responds to it. If not she takes it out after 15 mins again. We didn't see any improvement untill today!

My gf and I trained her and spooky to come up to the food when we tapped the tank and today she responded! She made an attempt to swim up to the top of the tank but sank down again half way. But she tried to get to the pellets, she was looking at them but couldn't swim forward. Then after that she swam a bit through the tank, not stressed just an easy going swim and she looked in the plants for the pellets but couldn't find them.

My gf threw in another one and she ate it!!!!!!! OMG I'm so happy now!!!! It was just one pellet but she ate something again!!! and she's looking for more now! OMG! (I have my gf on msn so hence the quick updates in this post, sorry if it's confusing) But my gf is checking if she will eat more, seeing as she is looking for more.

She has a bit more black coloring over her body though <_> the ammonia must have been pretty bad. We both really suspect it's because of the bottom we have. Because we combined sand and gravel (gravel on the bottom and sand on top) the gravel could've created airpockets in which bacteria could have settled. Also we were in the process of removing the sand and gravel slowly, to eventually end up with a bare bottom. That could have caused ammonia to come up out of the bottom too.

Anyways: last update as of now, bash ate about 8 pellets of food =D!!

Okay and another update, this time with pictures. The pictures are a bit blurry though but it shows the ammonia burns quite good. I can happingly report that bash is swimming again, she does rest in between but it's a huge improvement ^^

Anyways these are the photos. On the first one you can see a bit of the burns on her right side. If you look closely you can also see the difference in height. We already removed a lot of sand from the front side of the tank. (not today but a few days ago)

dsc00135l.jpg

Here you can see the burns better and it also looks worse from here <_> but on the upside, the two pellets which you see next to the air ball...are gone now cuz she ate them! =D

dsc00136k.jpg

We're not feeding bash too much now seeing as she hasn't eaten for quite some time. So she only gets 5 pellets per feeding for now (she gets food 4 times per day)

Edited by Bash

I'm glad things are improving. Good luck, Bashie!

Oh poor thing. Good sign she is eating tho!

Keep up those water changes it will heal her burns in no time!

any test kits yet?

@Mjbubbles: Thank you for your kind words! =)

@Captain:Yeah it looks really bad <_> but I'm glad it means it's healing. No test kits yet though I did get an email notification saying that the package was on it's way to me, so I'm hoping it'll be there tomorrow =)

Yes, from the pics, it does look like ammonia burns, and fish can be quite listless when they are experiencing ammonia toxicity. I think the best course of action is what has been suggested - daily 50% or more water changes. When will you get your test kits to be able to determine ammonia and nitrate readings?

It's great that she's doing better :)

Keep going Bash and heal up that fishy :)

@ dnalex: We just got a new NO2 testkit and NH3+NH4 kit today! =D No nitrates testkit yet seeing as that was too expensive >_> But we will get that later on ^^

@Joeym: Thank you for your support ^^ we sure will! She's our little girl and we actually love her a lot ^_^ I never knew I could care about a fish so much!

Update of today

We finally got the testkits from JBL! Ofcourse we immediately tested them out and these were the results:

NH3/NH4 = less than 0.05

No2 = 0

Bash is still recovering but it's going better and better. She pooped again too and it's not too short and not too long. About 1cm-1,5cm and the color is a bit darker than the food. No white poop, just a bit of a red color in it (food has an orange color). She was bottom sitting most of the day but at the feeding times, she came out swam a little bit and ate the food ^^ Just before the lights went out she was swimming around again and looking for food. We also removed a bit of the bottom again during the water change ^^ so that's going good as well.

I love the new testkits, they're awesome! =D

Edited by Bash

oh fabulous with the test kits! I am happy he seems to be doing better. maybe keep the lights off during the day? it could destress him. pooping normal is a very good sign too

@Captain: We are so delighted here too! Are those results good on the testkit? We know the NO2 is good and according to the little booklet in the teskit the NH3+NH4 should be good too, even with our high ph. But I want to make sure just in case ^^

Bash is actually a 'she', when we first saw her she was literally 'bashing' into other fish to get close to the glass at the front of the small tank she was in. We thought 'Bash' was a suetable name for a boy fish...little did we know that Bash was actually a she haha xD We never re-named her though, seeing as we liked the name ^^

The lights go on at 2pm here and go off at 10 pm. This is so we can feed her 4 times a day ^^ we can't feed her later than 10 seeing as my gf has to go to college everyday >_>

Edited by Bash

Yea with a cycled tank you have 0: Ammonia, 0: Nitrites, <20Nitrates.

test again tomorrow and see if any of the 2 go up.

Bash is a cute name!

Does she not eat if her tank lights are off but room lights on?

Okay good to know, we'll be closely monotoring those then. Hopefully we'll be able to get the NO3 too soon so we have the complete set we need ^^

Haha thank you ^^

No she only eats when the lights are on >_> she use to eat before the lights went on but not since she got sick. She also has a bit of trouble finding the food like it takes a lot of effort to look for it. She does find it and nom's on it quite content but it sometimes takes a while for her to find it. (she never had trouble before though)

Small update from us =) Bash is almost completely orange again, we kept checking the NH3+NH4 and NO2 over the past few days and the colors were paler than the lowest scale! Which means NH3+NH4 = 0 and same goes for the NO2 ^^ The bacterial medicine round has finished and we've already placed active coal in the filter. Will be doing that for a week and then take it out again.

Bash is slowly eating more and more but we're gonna look for wheat germ based food seeing as it's easier for her to digest. Her tummy is also a bit bigger again and her poo is still a bit darker than normal =) Uhm she's swimming more now but she's still very skittisch so we leave her be as much as possible ^^ I wil be posting pictures of her later tonight ^^ and also of what the tank looks like now.

Also going to put some pictures in the identification topic as we'd like to know what kind of fancy goldfish she is =)

I will keep you updated on the progress she's making!

oh this is great news! what you can try is boiled peas (the non salted kind) and just shell them, smash them a bit and feed. otherwise frozen foods like bloodworms, krill etc are very nutritious. :D

That's great news. I'm glad she's feeling better. :)

Hi there, just got updated on this whole story.

Looks like you are in good hands. I only have one request.

Can you please re-fill out the box of questions from the top of the page (I have included them below)? It really helps us to know how things have improved since the last time you posted. Thanks! :)

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Thank you for the food tips captain! Will try those out ^^

@Kerstin: Yes so are we, we're hoping she'll be back to the old bash in no time ^_^

@Ryukin girl: My apologies I didn't see your post! But yes I will gladly answer all the questions again and I even have pictures to show the progress she's made ^^

Okay the list first:

[*]Ammonia Level? We've meassured this over the past few days with our new testkit from JBL. We started out with a level of 0.05 ammonia and now it's 0 seeing as the color of water we test is paler than the lowest scale

[*]Nitrite Level?0 too, also tested with our new NO2 kit

[*]Nitrate level? we can't test that yet, we had a kit of colombo but it never gave any descent test results

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? ph = 8, kh= 8 gh =7

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? ph = ranges from 12-15 and the rest I don't know

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? JBL

[*]Water temperature? 22 degrees celcius

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? It's a 160 liter tank, that's about 40 gal I think.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Tetratec e700

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Because of her ammoniak burns we changed 50% of the water everyday, our normal routine was 60% per week, devided over 2 days.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish, she's 13cm long including tail. She might have grown though since she looks bigger.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? none

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? We feed bash 4 times a day, just a bit for now (about 10 tetrasticks), we have a lot of food (2 brands of hikari, going to be replaced by saki hikari next month, spirulania, her but we're gonna feed her wheat germ based food seeing as it's better to digest for her after her illness, uhm we have frozen foods, dried silk caterpillars, artemia and we also feed peas or other vegatables, o-nip fish treats). We only feed her tetra sticks at the moment, but we will switch to wheat germ food tomorrow ^^

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Nope

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Yes, we used camacell from the brand Hs for 5 days and after 4 days of filtering over coal after that we used bactyfec from the brand colombo for 7 days. The medication round is done now so we're filtering over coal again, to get everything out.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just the black ammonia burns, and a big red spot on her gill, this spot turned grey eventually and is now gone

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? During her illness, she stopped eating and bottom sat the entire day in between the plants, she also had white poop and from time to time she would swim very fast and stressed through the tank. She doesn't do any of that anymore now ^^

On to the photo's, this is what bash looks like now. She still bottom sits from time to time but mostly she's swimming. She eats better too and almost all the black is gone ^^ When I took these pictures she was bottom sitting a bit again. Ow I also added pictures of the tank to show how far we are with going bare bottom ^^

Sitting next to the air ball

img0469d.jpg

I see you...o.o

img0484p.jpg

Moving towards me, but she got scared of the camera

img0472t.jpg

So she hid in the plants again. You can still see a hint of black on her scales and her anal fins but it's almost all gone

img0474b.jpg

And now the tank, overview. The floating plants and cambomba are gone now, we took them out after I took the picture. (this was just before the water change)

img0476ef.jpg

Left side

img0478ds.jpg

Right side

img0477z.jpg

Now I do have one question for the experts on the forum. We'd like to know what bash's breed is and I'm wondering if I should ask that here or make a new topic for it in the identification topic? We think she's a ryukin but we're not sure.

Edited by Bash

Oh she looks fabulous!!! She looks nice and fatter :D

I would say she is a Fantail or maybe a Ryukin with a smaller hump. She is very pretty :)

keep with the water changes (unless you are testing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites)

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

Thank you captain for your kind words ^^ She is beautiful indeed and I'm so glad she's doing better again. She's the first fish my girlfriend and I picked out, out of a pet store where the quality of fish is mostly crap >_> but bash just stood out and we actually liked her right away ^^

I was thinking ryukin cuz of how she developed. Once we got to know about the different kinds of food, and the substances which are in them we started to feed bash proteine rich food among all the other different kinds of food ^^ Isn't her hump too high to be a fantail?

Bash went from a small 4cm fish to a 13cm fish in 5 months ^^ See the pictures below

transformationofbash.jpg

This is her a bit after(like 1 month) the above foto:

img0440u.jpg

and the latest picture of her is, this one^^

img0469d.jpg

Edited by Bash

Glad she is doing better. She is lovely.

And so is the tank. :)

Edited by Grace