Sign in to follow this  
Burgernuds

Wheat

Hi, I normally feed my fish new life spectrum as a staple and it's worked wonders, but I want to add a more veggie rich food to feed once or twice a week. I found

these super cheap Wardley Brand Koi flakes with wheat flour as the first ingredient, followed by fishmeal, dried shrimp, soybean, and wheat germeal with corn gluten meal.

Does this sound "veggie" enough? I also have utilize a spirulina flake once a week, but they are rather expensive and turns yellow fish less yellow if fed too often / much!

Why don't you try incorporating blanched spinach or peas instead? :)

convenience issues?...im moving out of country in a few months and want whats easiest for my future fish babysitters and now it just seems best for me to feed prepared foods rather than go through the whole pea process, especially since I want to incorporate more fiber on a daily to semi daily basis. I don't see the point of feeding peas just once a week when 6 days out of 7, my fish are likely constipated.

Edited by Burgernuds

Blanched spinach really is not a difficult to feed. Actually you don't even HAVE to blanch them, but can just wash them in hot water and stick the spinach in a veggie clip. Just has to be removed what's left after two days at the most.

Or do a quick blanch: Rinse the spinach, spread out a couple leaves on a plate (still wet), microwave for 30 - 60 seconds - done! I feed zucchini and cucumber raw. Just cut a big long slice out, veggie clip it, remove after two days what is left (they usually don't eat the peel).

wheat flour as the first ingredient, followed by fishmeal, dried shrimp, soybean, and wheat germeal with corn gluten meal.

Does this sound "veggie" enough?

I just re-read this and am wondering why you even consider this for vegetables? Only a small part of it is veggie at all. Again, a large slice of cucumber or zucchini in a veggie clip will take the fish sitter 1 minute to prepare. Wash - cut - clip. If the sitter peels the thing s/he won't even have to remove leftovers since the fish will most likely eat the whole thing up. Then s/he just has to feed the daily pellets and every 3, 4 days the zucchini/cucumber which should last 2 days to nibble on.

Burgernuds, you describes this food perfectly: CHEAP.

Any food that has "wheat flour" as the first ingredient isn't worth the money it takes to buy the gas to drive to the pet store....