New Fishies With Ich

ashlee18

I can't fill out the top since I am on my phone and it doesn't show up. Ill add what I can remember.

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates <5

pH 6.8

Tap pH 6.8

Tank size 30 gallons

Temp 76

Filter AC 70

I bought these fish from an importer over a week ago. I was given pics and videos and they looked great. They were supposed to come in a week ago but I asked the importer to hold on to them because of our bad weather last week. They were shipped overnight and arrived today. The only bad thing about their packaging was that they were all in the same bag. I released them into the old qt that previously had my DO fish and kept the light off. I plan to prazi them as if they were from the lfs. A couple hours later they looked like they were doing well and we begging for food so I turned the light on. I noticed immediately that two of them are covered in small white spots. Both the fish with the spots are calicos but the red cap is spot free.

A lot of maybe useless info but the main question is. Should I hold off on the prazi while treating them for ich or would it be ok to treat for both at the same time? Other than the spots, they have nice high dorsals and are eating and swimming well.

I can't fill out the top since I am on my phone and it doesn't show up. Ill add what I can remember.

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates <5

pH 6.8

Tap pH 6.8

Tank size 30 gallons

Temp 76

Filter AC 70

I bought these fish from an importer over a week ago. I was given pics and videos and they looked great. They were supposed to come in a week ago but I asked the importer to hold on to them because of our bad weather last week. They were shipped overnight and arrived today. The only bad thing about their packaging was that they were all in the same bag. I released them into the old qt that previously had my DO fish and kept the light off. I plan to prazi them as if they were from the lfs. A couple hours later they looked like they were doing well and we begging for food so I turned the light on. I noticed immediately that two of them are covered in small white spots. Both the fish with the spots are calicos but the red cap is spot free.

A lot of maybe useless info but the main question is. Should I hold off on the prazi while treating them for ich or would it be ok to treat for both at the same time? Other than the spots, they have nice high dorsals and are eating and swimming well.

Hi ashlee, are you planning to treat with heat and salt for the ich?

Treat for ich firstm, just sounds like a stressful shipping. Prazi after because the prazi may make them bottom sit and you want to err on the side of caution. For example if you treated for ich and prazi at the same time and they began to bottom sit you might mistake it for something else you know?

Well the calico oranda passed :( He didn't have any spots on his body but I found him stuck to the filter when I got home from work.

I looked his body over very well for any physical signs of what might have happened. The only thing I noticed was very gross. He had two balls near or coming out of his anus/vent area. These two balls were dark red and COVERED with white dots. The dots didn't look like ich spots though :idont

Edited by ashlee18

Luckily he already refunded the money for all the fish, just not the shipping. It turns out that they possibly had ich before they were shipped since he has an outbreak in his tank now too. Luckily, I followed the rules and put these guys into qt. If they infected my precious Chaos, I would never forgive myself. It might be a pain in the butt to use buckets but worth it.

I'm sorry you lost the calico. That almost sounds like internal damage from shipping, but that is just a guess. Shipping all three in the same bag isn't a great idea. Hope the other two come around with your good care.

I'm really sorry about your loss Ashlee! I would like to have seen a pic of those mystery lumps ...too bad. The main thing now is to keep up with the ich treatment for the other two. Hang in :hug

This is in your main tank right?

Milt is basically the fish equivalent of sperm. Are these eggs all over the tank? They might have been snacking too. Notice any chasing? Sounds like they're rather happy!

:o Oh really? They must be doing well then and it sounds like they're on their way. They've probably been feasting. Perhaps the calico had an impaction? Did you notice what her vent looked like at all?

I couldn't see it with those two weird ball things in the way. For all I know it was her vent :o

I wish I had taken a pic. But I was in too much of a hurry to remove her from the tank.

Edited by ashlee18