Talulah Is Sittin' On Her Fanny

Lola_Granola

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? Trace

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops Master Kit, API GH and KH drops

[*]Water temperature? 70

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15 gal quarantine tub, 2 weeks with seeded media (cycled week 2)

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Whisper 30

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Prazi Routine, week 2, day 2 (100% WC, add prime, wait 3 days, 100% WC, off 4 days, repeat)

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? One: 3 1/3 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, salt @ 0.2%, Prazi Pro

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? 3 small meals per day: peas, spirulina/algae tabs, Omega One small sinking pellets (soaked), Hikari frozen blood worms (gag!)

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Prazi and salt as above

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White spot on wen (looks a lot like pre-wen growth spot)

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, some drifting

I noticed last night that Talulah was hanging in the bottom rear corner of her tub/tank. My husband thought she might like to sleep in that corner. Now I realize she's hanging back there most of the time. At times she drifts off balance, but recovers. She does come to me when I sit and talk to her. And she did eat a pea this morning. I've been battling with my cycle for 3 days now, after discovering I've killed it by removing carbon to add the Prazi and salt. Her tub quickly cycled with the addition of a big piece of filter floss from Herman's tank.

She did come from a store that is known for parasitic infection (Haruka has a fish from the same place and she battled with hers). I gave Talulah fresh clean water her first week, Prazi the second, Prazi and salt at 0.2% (after reading 0.3% was not recommended by Hikari as it would render the Prime useless). She was acting so lovely that I thought we were going to be lucky and not have to be too aggressive with her quarantine. I've been hesitant to start Jungle AP after reading how hard it is on their systems, and I'm not one to give antibiotics without symptoms that warrant treatment (in my human child as well. : ) )

Thanks in advance for looking and any suggestions you guys may have.

Winter2010432.jpg

Hey Lola.

The white spot on her wen seems just like wen growth.

I wouldn't use the Jungle AP - that is mostly for internal worms - does she have white stringy poop or normal poop?

She might be bottom sitting just because she is a little stressed from the Prazi and the trace ammonia.

I would just watch her a few more days. Her dorsal is up right? She just looks lazy?

Another thing - I use Prazi with 0.3% salt. (this is because the Prazi is technically also for marine tanks :) )

Hey Lola.

The white spot on her wen seems just like wen growth.

I wouldn't use the Jungle AP - that is mostly for internal worms - does she have white stringy poop or normal poop?

She might be bottom sitting just because she is a little stressed from the Prazi and the trace ammonia.

I would just watch her a few more days. Her dorsal is up right? She just looks lazy?

Another thing - I use Prazi with 0.3% salt. (this is because the Prazi is technically also for marine tanks :) )

I thought it looked "wenny". :)

Her poo is longer than normal....but not really long. Maybe 3-4 cm long? It's thinner than normal.

Her dorsal fin is up. She is totally looking lazy.

I'll bump the salt up to 0.3% then. Maybe adding an extra dose of Prime would be good to ease her stress?

As long as the poop is food colored I think she might just be a little blocked up :) Try some peas for a few days.

Salt usually also de-stresses my guys quite a lot. I would just keep an eye on the ammonia - but it should resolve itself. Maybe 2 small water changes daily while you have traces

Hey maybe she is just bored :rofl

As long as the poop is food colored I think she might just be a little blocked up :) Try some peas for a few days.

Salt usually also de-stresses my guys quite a lot. I would just keep an eye on the ammonia - but it should resolve itself. Maybe 2 small water changes daily while you have traces

Hey maybe she is just bored :rofl

It is food colored. She had bloodworms (blech!) ;last night and it's reddish colored. She had a pea for breakfast, so I'll keep that up. I'll get to the water changes too. Thanks Fede!!!

Heck, she may be bored! I may run an airline to her tub from Herman's pump and stick her an airstone in there.

I've had fish that bottom sit the whole time in Qt, but then are fine once they are in the main tank. I would just keep an eye on things. A little tilt when resting is okay. I would just keep an eye on things. Does she have a vase or anything in her QT tank? She might like a plastic plant and a vase. And an airstone is a great idea.

I've had fish that bottom sit the whole time in Qt, but then are fine once they are in the main tank. I would just keep an eye on things. A little tilt when resting is okay. I would just keep an eye on things. Does she have a vase or anything in her QT tank? She might like a plastic plant and a vase. And an airstone is a great idea.

Thanks Amy! I am keeping a very close eye on her, the little turkey! I have a really round and big coffee mug in there for her to hide behind. I don't have any plastic plants though. My real ones are all in my other tanks.

I've gotten the bubbles together for her. Let's hope they help to cheer her up!

Stanley definitely got lazy his first couple rounds of prazi. It may just be that she does have flukes and the prazi is working.

I agree, Prazi can make them very mopey :yawn

Thanks you guys! Good to hear it's not uncommon. I've really grown attached to this little hussy! Fish-smilie.gif

Hey everyone, I'm rather concerned again. Talulah is bottom sitting constantly now....and having intermittent dorsal fin clamping. Last night I noticed a section of her dorsal had seperated from her body....the distal portion closest to her tail for a section measuring about 1cm.

I'm starting to think she's not handling the salt very well. She's at 0.3% concentration and all other water params are WNL. I did a 100% water change last night after her 3 day Prazi "soak", so she's swimmin' in salted and Primed water only.

My gut is telling me to do another 100% WC and give her some fresh Primed, salt-free water.

Here's a photo of her fin I took yesterday during her water change:

Winter2010436.jpg

so so far she has only had 3 days of prazi? and 2 days of clean water?

She had 3 days in Prazi (round #2), and 2 days off this week. She'll have 2 more days off then my week starts again for Prazi on Monday (round #3).

okey doke. and you don't see a difference in behavior in the days you take the prazi out? usually my guys get all happy in those days and then depressed sometimes the day before the prazi or as soon as it is back in.

any other strange physical signs?

She was happy for the first day, and this constant bottom sitting started today with the dorsal thing. When she's on the bottom of the tub...I'm not seeing a ton of gill movement either.

She looks so sad!

I'm not sure about the fin. It seems like that might be normal for some fish? Are you sure it wasn't like that before? I forget, she does have bubbles in there, right? I can't remember for sure if mine acted different during the prazi days off, but I don't think I noticed a huge improvement. I remember even posting in D&D that Stanley was looking pale during his QT and I really think it was because of flukes and prazi. But I do know that some fish are sensitive to salt. If you do end up doing another w/c don't take the salt out all at once. It's better to step it down gradually.

Thanks Flutter!

It's not normal for her to have a droopin' dorsal. It's usually poker straight. I wonder if she's just miserable because of the prazi and flukes all together.

I've just chosen to keep an eye on her. She's eating well. Just not lookin' very good.

It is comforting to know that your Stanley acted bummed during his treatment too. I can't wait for her to be all finished! (Of course, by that time it will be time for us to move! Hoo boy!)

For some fish salt can be hard on them and for some prazi and salt together can be really rough. I would be inclined to slowly take out the salt and see if she does better. It is one of those things where you can only try a few things and go from there.

I agree to stagger things.

Fish are so stressed when they arrive it can be easier on them if prazi and salt are done separately giving her some downtime in the prazi off days with no salt and just nice Prime-y fresh water

As long as your cycle is staying stable, you have lots of bubbles and a dark corner (you can use a cover on half the tank) then you are doing your best to de -stress her. The food sounds great, a variety is good to keep up her appetite.

How is she doing today? ... and what percentage of the time is she bottom sitting and for how long 'at a sit' does she bottom sit for? Does her dorsal flop when she swims or only when she sits? Can you see any swelling on one side of her tummy looking from above?